|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Indie RPG » How do we get reviewers for our cross between a book and an RPG?

Default How do we get reviewers for our cross between a book and an RPG?

November 17th, 2014, 22:23
I've been working on a digital gamebook called DestinyQuest Infinite. If you're familiar with Fighting Fantasy or Lone Wolf this won't need any explanation. Otherwise, imagine a Choose Your Own Adventure book with D&D style combat and Diablo-style loot.

We just launched it Tuesday and I'm quite happy that we've been getting some active readers, but we're having trouble finding people to tell about it.

Clearly this probably isn't for fantasy book reviewers - should we be asking tabletop gamers? Who are the right people to talk to about this and how do we get in touch with them?

Thanks for any ideas!

interrupting cow

moooo

+1:

November 18th, 2014, 19:25
That's going to be tough because your innovation placed you between the chairs.

The main problem reviewers everywhere have is 'lack of time', or the other way around 'too many products for the available resources'.

In our case, we don't write about books, we don't write about browser games. The only way we would write a review is if an editor says that he wants to write an article. In that case we would indeed publish it.

Here are a couple of ideas.
- Are you registered at Quarter to Three (lots of game writers there, even from big outlets)? A couple of published book authors post there too. Be careful not to be perceived as a spammer on Qt3, or you'll be kicked out faster than you can look. It might be okay to be completely upfront and ask for advice.
- Do you have a Gamespress account? (-> I'm not sure there's a free publisher account!)
- There's at least one guy doing a Let's Play on YouTube. Did you get in touch with him to ask if he needs anything? Unfortunately the big Let's Players expect to be paid nowadays.
- Of course you should provide a digital review version to everybody who asks, even if he only has 50 reader per month.
- Check out BoardGameGeek. Maybe they know more.
- Did you check if there are communities specialized in your type of adventure books?
- The tabletop communities could indeed be your best shot.
- If your digital content doesn't cost you anything I would approach all available RPG comunities (tabletop, CRPG) with the sugestion to host a competition of any type to give a couple of keys to their community members. If successful you can negotiate 2 times coverage for that: announcement and result. No money involved from any side.
- If you don't have it already, put a blog on your site and find excuses to link back to anybody who writes about your game.
- The Indiegamer forum could be a place to seek advice. Lots of small developers there.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

November 20th, 2014, 22:09
That's really helpful, Gorath. Thanks!

Between the chairs is a good way of putting it. The way I imagine it, this might be interesting to people who, say, get solo adventures from DriveThruRPG or something similar. A lot of the gamebook audience already knows about it, but I'm not quite so sure about tabletop people.

interrupting cow

moooo

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Indie RPG » How do we get reviewers for our cross between a book and an RPG?