|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Spiderweb Games - New Game Interview

Default Spiderweb Games - New Game Interview

February 25th, 2010, 10:01
A site called The Gamer Studio has an interview with Jeff Vogel that includes the first real details on his new series that I've seen:
What was the inspiration behind it?

Believe it or not, a Hungarian opera called Bluebeard's Castle.

Is it pure fantasy like Avernum, or does it include sci-fi elements like Geneforge; or perhaps something quasi-historical like Nethergate?

It'll be pretty straight fantasy, but with a very detailed world. There's a lot of history and cool stuff to discover.

What elements have you transfered over from your other games?

It will be a party-based role-playing game with turn-based combat, like we have always done. However, we have completely streamlined the game system in some ways and made it more elaborate in others, like the tactical combat. The basic genre is the same, but everything else is being redesigned.
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

February 25th, 2010, 10:01
And to think I haven't played a single Spiderweb game yet… FOR SHAME!

EvilKoala

Mutated Mastermind

February 25th, 2010, 13:27
Grrrr, having problems getting that page to load, how annoying. Very interested to see what he comes up with anyway, always a big fan

Benedict

SasqWatch

February 25th, 2010, 13:46
Sounds interesting. Time to start looking forward to it now(?).

pibbur

February 25th, 2010, 21:00
Bluebeard's Castle? That's odd for a game.
Being a native Hungarian (so I know the stuff quite well), I assume, the game will be dark fantasy, as the opera is very disturbing. (Bleh…. Avernum was dark too, but had an… ahem… special sense of humor, that I like very much)

duerer

Watcher

February 26th, 2010, 05:45
Totally opposite of my bile for all things Avernum/Exile/Geneforge related, I'm looking forward to something totally new from Jeff too. Of course, if he keeps the same graphics that he's been using in everything since he was a teenager, I'll stay away. I'd almost rather see ASCII.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

February 26th, 2010, 18:34
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Totally opposite of my bile for all things Avernum/Exile/Geneforge related, I'm looking forward to something totally new from Jeff too. Of course, if he keeps the same graphics that he's been using in everything since he was a teenager, I'll stay away. I'd almost rather see ASCII.
They are the same - just like Dragon Age is the same as NWN 2 is sthe same as NWN. Just like Mass Effect 2 is the same as Mass Effect.

I get it, you hate his games and unless he suddenly pulls AAA production values out of his butt you will consider trashing them at every chance. That is your choice and is fine.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

February 26th, 2010, 20:24
Nope, loved Exile 1-2, and Geneforge 1. Even though the graphics were very outdated even then, they were great games. It's just there is too much that is identical in the follow-up games for me to feel I'm getting something new. I own a LOT of Spiderweb games. I own multiple copies of several of them. I just finally got tired of it.

I'll be excited about a totally new IP, because even with the super-outdated graphics, I've enjoyed the first game in each of Jeff's series. I just get less and less enthused about the sequels. I expect to enjoy Bluebeard 1

I'm sure you never dislike any games Mike, especially Bethesda offerings….I know I've never read multiple posts from you on your dislikes….

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

February 26th, 2010, 20:40
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
I'm sure you never dislike any games Mike, especially Bethesda offerings….I know I've never read multiple posts from you on your dislikes….
Actually I *do*like Bethesda's games … but I am critical of the areas that I see as flaws, just as you are with Jeff and the areas you see as flaws. And I get pounded on when I do that as well, so I guess we're even

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Spiderweb Games - New Game Interview