slessman

Watcher
I know this isn't exactly what this thread is meant for, but my MMORPG Ryzom has been showing some holiday cheer this month. The game has incorporated a large and glowing tree in order to show users that they can experience the holidays both in real life and while playing the game. What do you think of games that acknowledge Christmas?

I know this isn't exactly what this thread is meant for, but my MMORPG Ryzom has been showing some holiday cheer this month. The game has incorporated a large and glowing tree in order to show users that they can experience the holidays both in real life and while playing the game. What do you think of games that acknowledge Christmas?

Honestly, I have no problem with it.

For one of the biggest "Christian" holidays of the year, the bottom line is that it is more tied to Black Friday, Santa Claus, reindeer, elves, gift giving, alcohol consuming and mouth stuffing than anything to do with religion.

Now I don't say all that to be harsh: my wife puts up a tree at home, we do the traditional gift giving, family dinner/gathering, listening to holiday music and watching the classic holiday movies even though we're atheists.

That's my point really, to me it's more about a time of year when you remember those you love and care for, celebrate life, give a little if you can and prep for saying hello to a new year. Sure, it's supposed to be about the birth of Jesus but its roots don't even have anything to do with Christianity.

So I'm not offended by Christmas trees in video games :)

Check out the History of Christmas on the History Channel (should be running is several times before the 25th). You'd be amazed at how many "Christmas" traditions are really just pagan "Winter Solstice" traditions. Even the birth of Christ, which has no historical link to the 25th of December, was chosen by the church to help inject some christian values into what had traditionally been a time of boozin' and partyin' by a bunch of log-burning heathens!

As Dte is wont to say on these occassions, Bah Humbug!! :) Even people like me recognise that this is actually a Pagan celebration; who ever heard of shepherds out with their flocks in December!! ;)

In Sweden we don't celebrate Christmas. We celebrate Yule. We have decorations (tree and the goat is the most important ones), we eat food, we eat sweets, we give eachother gifts, we watch Disney (probably our proudest tradition :D) we drink Yule must (it's a must!!!).

Some go to mass (some of those because they're Christians, some because it's a tradition like all other traditions), some don't. Everybody's aware that we're supposedly celebrating the birth of Christ, but that's usually secondary and in some cases it's not even celebrated. Mostly it's just an excuse to give eachother gifts and eat good food. Any excuse to throw a party, right?

Übereil