Can you imagine what would happen if you lit that trans-dimensional pocket you've got?

I've only been able to drop torches. Can't seem to extinguish them once they're lit. You can drop a torch by right-clicking.

Any 'Monkey Island' Fans here, would remember how the hero managed to put everything into his pants; crowbars, monkeys, etc.

i can drop the torch by right-clicking the mouse but it doesn't seem to extinguish itself unlike previous Gothic games. is it the same for everyone else as well?

Yes, you drop the torch by right-clicking - and it's by design that you can't extinguish them.

It's a "realism" feature that you can feel what you like about, but I personally think it's slightly more annoying than beneficial.

Dungeons are all very dark and I think a little more flexibility is in order for non-mages, as the disadvantage of not being able to fight with sword and shield whilst holding a torch is too big, when you consider that mages have near infinite light sources that are non-intrusive in terms of combat.

Sure, you can always gather light scrolls - but I find them not lasting long enough to want to waste them on a constant basis. Also, savegames don't take the dynamic light sources into consideration - so you lose your light spell upon saving if you reload.

But anyway, a minor point.

You can Extinguish the Torch

Yes, you can but in an unconventional way. All you have to do is Quick save and jump into a near Deep Water. and you will be teleported to the last save point with the Torch back in your inventory.