Parhedros: The Tunnels of Sethir - All News
Sunday - November 11, 2007
Parhedros - Patch Released for Parhedros: The Tunnels of Sethir
Indie RPG developer Laurian Studios has released a patch for their recently released turn-based RPG Parhedros: The Tunnels of Sethir. It's a Shareware game, so don't expect A1 graphics, but the overall quality is quite good. Check it out and see if it's for you. Here's their official blurb.
LITTLE FALLS, New York, Nov 10, 2007. Independent developer Laurion Studio announces the release of the 1.0.1 patch for its recent fantasy-themed RPG-Adventure, Parhedros: the Tunnels of Sethir. The patch fixes a crash-to-desk top bug, significantly improves the AI of ranged and spell-casting units in combat, and allows unregistered players to explore twice as many levels in the dungeons.
Parhedros is a full 3D dungeon-crawling adventure featuring demanding tactical combat, convincingly life-like NPC interactions using a natural language interface, a unique hyperfictional approach to story-delivery, and a fresh assortment of playable fantasy-themed races, such as satyrs, centaurs and spider-folk.
The Patch can be downloaded (file size: 820 KB) from the Parhedros web-site, at www.parhedros.com/parhedros_patch1.html.
About Laurion Studio:
Laurion Studio is an independent developer of entertainment software that focuses on bringing a fresh look and feel to overlooked classical genres. The company's current projects seek to reinterpret some of the best and most demanding features of old-school role-playing adventures for a generation of gamers that is increasingly jaded with a steady diet of “dumbed-down” games. Past entertainment titles included the Risqué Renee series, a parody of casino games, released in 1999 for the PC. More information on Laurion Studio can be found at www.parhedros.com.
Friday - November 02, 2007
Parhedros - Free for Voters
Parhedros, the adult indie RPG we recently announced had been released, sent us the following press release saying they will give the game away until Election Day to those that agree to write to their congressman with the message that gamers vote:
Game Developer Gets Out The Vote With Game Give-Away
LITTLE FALLS, New York, Nov. 1, 2007. Are some politicians alienating a neglected voter-bloc when it comes to the recent controversies over content in video-games? Independent game developer Laurion Studio thinks so, and wants to prove it by giving away a free computer-game in a voter awareness campaign aimed at the getting out the vote among the game-playing populace.
Laurion announced that during November through Election Day it is giving away a free, fully registered copy of its new 3D fantasy role-playing game Parhedros: The Tunnels of Sethir on its web-site (www.parhedros.com) to everyone over the age of 18 who agrees to write to their congressperson with the simple message that “Video-Gamers Vote!” The game normally sells for $22.95 on-line.
“We hear so much about protecting kids from games,” explained Laurion spokesman David Van Meter, “But how often do we hear that the average video-gamer is actually 33 years-old, and that a whopping 72% of all gamers are over the age of 18, according to studies by the Entertainment Software Association? Video-gamers are also voters, and I think it’s time to let politicians know that we are tired of being treated like children when it comes to free speech in our games.”
Laurion's game Parhedros itself affords an example of the sort of “free-thinking” games that are quietly being published only on the internet by mostly small, independent developers for this so-called “mature majority” of gamers. Despite being a role-playing game that focuses mostly on exploring dungeons and battling fantasy monsters, the story also touches upon such mature themes as alcoholism and crises of sexual identity, and some of the characters may do “nude scenes”. Needless to say, you won’t find games like this coming soon to a major retail store anywhere near you.
“From our viewpoint, games will only reach their full potential as an artistic medium when they can freely tackle the same sorts of subjects that novelists and film-makers have treated for decades,” said Van Meter. “But the political hand-wringing over game content and ratings has left the major studios and retailers afraid to touch games that intellectually challenge adults as works of fiction. It will stay that way, too, until video-gamers speak up and assert their political voice.”
For more information on Laurion Studio and its offer of a free copy of Parhedros for concerned game-playing voters, visit parhedros.com.
Thursday - October 25, 2007
Parhedros: The Tunnels of Sethir - Announced
Laurion Studio sent us a press release about a new indie we haven't heard of before. Parhedros: The Tunnels of Sethir is described as an "old-school, dungeon-crawling, fantasy role-playing adventure" that claims to use advanced AI techniques for dialogue and story development. It also has mature content, so be warned. Here's the press release:
NEW INDIE RPG LETS NPCS REALLY GET INTO CHARACTER
UTICA, New York, Oct. 29, 2007. Fancy a game where the Non-Player Characters seem to think they’re real, and that their lives and stories matter too? Independent developer Laurion Studio has announced the release of its new Parhedros fantasy role-playing game for the PC, which uses advanced AI techniques, as well as literary techniques drawn from posthumanist theory and hyperfiction, for NPC dialog and story-line development.
“We’re very excited about this game, since it gave us a chance to experiment with some styles of gameplay that you just don’t see in commercial RPGs,” said developer David Van Meter. “In particular, we wanted to really push the envelope with the NPCs. We wanted characters that you can really befriend, or grow to loathe; characters who love to tell their own stories and thus subtly nudge the player’s story in new directions. We’re proud of the fact that a lot of our testers told us they got totally immersed in the dialog, to the point where several forgot at times they weren’t talking on-line to a real person.”
Laurion bills Parhedros as a single-player, 3D dungeon-crawl that looks and feels more than a little rogue-like. Besides its novel dialog and story-advancement interface, the game features random dungeons so that no two games are the same, a magic system that emphasizes the summoning of familiars, and a tactical combat system that stresses good maneuver and sound unit mixes. Players can play as a number of fairy-themed races, ranging from Satyrs and Glaistigs to Centaurs and Spider-Folk, and even as Valkyrja. Laurion has released Parhedros as shareware, and the game can be downloaded for free at the company’s website at www.parhedros.com.
...and here is the feature list from their site:
- Great 3D Graphics! Parhedros is a fully-featured 3D computer role-playing game, bringing you old-school style role-playing with the eye-pleasing graphics of today!
- Exciting Character Classes! Play as cool and unusual fantasy role-playing characters inspired by traditional Celtic, Norse and Greco-Roman faerie mythologies. Playable characters include: Satyrs, Glaistigs, Centaurs, Spider-Folk, Valkyrja, and the Prithivim (royal descendants of the dwarves)!
- Authentic and Fun Magic! Parhedros uses a magic system which is not only fun and well-balanced but also historically authentic, as it is based on painstaking research into ancient magical literature and modern occult practices! And with five different schools of magic to master, no two spell-casting characters will ever be alike.
- A Deadly World to Explore! Parhedros is a good, old-fashioned dungeon-crawl. Your Quest sends you directly into a mysterious and dangerous dungeon, populated with interesting characters and fiendish monsters, in order to solve a problem of major importance to your character.
- Innovative, Tactical Combat! Parhedros revolves around challenging and insanely fun tactical combat. The battles are turn-based, and demand thoughtful deployment, effective maneuver, and a sound mix of unit types.
- Life-Like, Interesting NPCs! Parhedros features a revolutionary Non-Player Character (NPC) interaction system. Our goal is to make it seem that you are chatting with real people, not talking billboards! Each NPC has a richly developed personality and a complex maze of moods and desires. Based on how you interact with each NPC, you may become the best of friends or mortal enemies, or possibly even starry-eyed lovers!
- Interactive Plot and Story-Telling! Parhedros is an innovative experiment in interactive story-telling. You can spend hours chatting with the main Non-Player Characters in order to learn about their histories, motivations and secrets, and thus better understand how to solve the intricate mysteries of the Tunnels of Sethir!
- Mentally Stimulating! The Tunnels of Sethir abound with dozens of deviously fun and challenging puzzles, which you can solve or ignore as you prefer; open magical chests by answering clever riddles to discover valuable treasures, or decipher ancient tomes written in a strange code to learn powerful magical spells!
- Highly Replayable! Every game you play is different! You will explore different levels, and encounter different monsters. You may even have a different Main Quest!
- Easy to Customize! We make it easy for you to customize your game! You can easily add your own character portraits, change the main menu art, and play your own music (mp3 format) while exploring the world or fighting in battle!
Information aboutParhedros: The Tunnels of Sethir
Developer: Laurion Studio
Regions & platforms
· Platform: PC
· Released at 2007-10-21
· Publisher: Laurion Studio