Friday - July 25, 2014
Harebrained Schemes - Interview @ N4G
The N4G Blog continues the indie month, and posted a new interview with Mike McCain. He is the Art Director of Harebrained Schemesm, and Game Director for Dragonfall.
FOGKNIGHT: How was Harebrained Schemes born?
MIKE: Jordan and Mitch officially founded Harebrained back in 2011. There were about a dozen of us, starting out - some folks that had worked with Jordan at his previous venture, and a few new contractors like myself. We were working out of a storage closet we rented from Gas Powered Games. Literally! It was this tiny, L-shaped closet on the far side of the lobby. There, we created our first title - Crimson: Steam Pirates, an iPad game published by Bungie Aerospace. Next up was Strikefleet Omega, a realtime fleet–command game for mobile which broke a million downloads and was very well received by both players and reviewers.
Our big breakout moment as an independent studio, though, was the Kickstarter campaign we launched for Shadowrun Returns in spring 2012. After that success, we more than doubled the size of the team and moved to a larger office in Kirkland to accommodate (which is where we still are today.)
FOGKNIGHT: What is Harebrained Schemes' goal as an independent game studio?
MIKE: Well, at the end of the day, we want to always be making games we love. We're passionate about telling great stories and entertaining an audience, so storytelling and world-building is always a part of what we do. We want to stay small, making games that appeal to a core geek audience. We're not limiting ourselves to RPGs, though. We have a very nimble dev team, and it's important to try new things as creators.
Sunday - June 15, 2014
Harebrained Schemes - Hiring For New Game
Thanks to RPG Codex it seems Harebrained Schemes is hiring staff for another possible ShadowRun game. Here are the details.
Harebrained Schemes seeks a freelance game writer to work onsite in their Kirkland, WA studio contributing to the next HBS title. This writer will be responsible for conceiving of and executing upon well-written, engaging game dialog using Harebrained Schemes’ proprietary editor while collaborating with the Creative Director, Lead Writer and design team.
This freelance contract will begin immediately and run through the end of December, 2014 with the potential for work in the future. Candidates must deliver a short audition piece using the Shadowrun Editor to be considered for this position.
- 1-3 years professional writing experience in the game industry.
- At least one shipped digital game title.
- Outstanding talent for crafting dialog. Character conversations flow naturally with good diction and grammar.
- Deep understanding of RPG dialog design – dialog trees, variables, best practices.
- Technically proficient – able to quickly master in-house tools for creation of RPG conversations.
- Attention to detail – high accuracy with grammar, spelling and punctuation is critical.
- Able to match the style and tone of our previous Shadowrun campaign writing.
- Strong creative collaboration and communication skills – game writing takes iteration.
- High-energy, self-motivated, and flexible.
If you’re interested in this position, please send your resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Experience with the Shadowrun Returns Editor or with the Aurora Game Editor.
- Working knowledge of the Shadowrun game setting a big plus.
- Prior experience writing in the style and tone of the Shadowrun world.
- Has played Shadowrun Returns or Shadowrun: Dragonfall.
Are they making a new Shadowrun Returns campaign? It certainly looks like it! Plus, the stated length of the contract (through the end of December) should give us some idea of what its release date is going to be. Great news - just don't call it "DLC" this time, guys.
Information aboutHarebrained Schemes