Kotaku - We Buy More Games Than We Play
Kotaku has a new article based on a survey of a few thousand gamers on their buying and playing habits. The results are not surprising we buy more games than we play.
Let's look at some results.
The Average Gamer
- The average gamer surveyed owns unplayed 18 games in their Pile of Shame.
- They play games for 15 hours a week and spend 10 hours engaging with gaming media including news sites, videos and forums.
- They bought 11-25 games in the past 12 months: 60% on sale and just 20% new at full price.
- They have not played 40% of the games purchased in the past 12 months.
The Compulsive Collector
- 30% of the gamers surveyed are Compulsive Collectors with a Pile of Shame at least 50 high.
- The average Collector has roughly 100 games in their backlog.
- They play games for 20 hours a week and spend 10 hours engaging with gaming media.
- They bought 26-50 games in the past 12 months: 80% on sale and just 10% new at full price.
- They have not played 60% of the games purchased in the past 12 months.
We game in the age of the Perpetual Sale. "I never buy games at full price as they'll get extremely cheap within just a few months… I rarely spend over $10 for a single game."