First released in 1997 Ultima Online (Abbreviated: UO) became the first popular MMORPG and laid the foundation for the success of the genre. A range of MMORPGs have been influenced by Ultima Online and it is hard to understate the importance of Ultima Online. Though Ultima Online was not the first MMORPG to be released.
Several expansion packs have been released since its initial launch adding new content, new land mass and new graphics. Sequels to Ultima Online have also been in production but all have been canceled before release.
- UO: The Second Age (October 1, 1998)
- UO: Renaissance (April 3, 2000)
- UO: Third Dawn (March 7, 2001)
- UO: Lord Blackthorn's Revenge (February 24 2002)
- UO: Age of Shadows (February 28, 2003)
- UO: Samurai Empire (November 2, 2004)
- UO: Mondain's Legacy (August 30, 2005)
- UO: Kingdom Reborn (June 27, 2007)
- UO: Stygian Abyss (In development)
- Ultima Worlds Online: Origin (Canceled in 2001)
- Ultima X: Odyssey (Canceled in 2004)
Some of Ultima Online's features are: 2D graphics, PvE and PvP combat, crafting, guilds and player housing.