PDA

View Full Version : Nehrim... just wow

ToddMcF2002
January 18th, 2011, 08:40
Level 12 now and it took me... 15 hours to get there approximately? Simply put, this is an astonishing production. I'm surprised it doesn't get more press around here considering its considerable quality, the scorn for Oblivion and how it is all so well addressed.

Nehrim is professional in execution and I just can't believe this was a community effort. I can honestly say I have not seen a single thing that would tip off that it was not a big budget effort. The land is hand crafted and very well done. Every dungeon has a real purpose with a nice back story or a quest and I'm constantly seeking out the next discovery because of it. Thankfully there is no respawning or object loss so you can stretch for risk reward and revisit areas like it should be. You'll want to for loot, since the economy is well balanced. You'll need every dime if you start stretching into difficult areas, those steel tipped arrows are expensive ;)!

The best thing about it though has to be the world building. The writing and acting is top notch. The translated books and the lore are so well written the world feels alive. I can't understand german but you can tell cheesy vs. not cheesy and it is absolutely not cheesy. The written translation is very well done and for once I'm finding myself reading the books which I haven't bothered with since Morrowind. Its all so immersive.

I've done a bit of the main quest and I really like how it is interwoven with the divine lore of the land. I have a vague idea where it is heading and based on how long it too me to get to level 12 its going to be a long journey. I'm glad for that, I have barely scratched the surface of this huge land mass and I'm staying in it for looooooong time.

I can't praise this thing enough. This should have been Oblivion.

human_male
January 18th, 2011, 12:20
Thanks for posting that. I've been tempted to download it for a while but it's quite a big download and I have a very limited monthly data allowance. But if it's that good I think I should just do it. Reading the read me also is encouraging. I feel like playing Oblivion a lot but I'm just so sick of doing the same things over and over. And Skyrim is still nearly a year away, so…

Quick question; have they provided face presets, or can you use something like the Elder Face Copier to copy your character's face from Oblivion to Nehrim? Have you done anything like that? I'm assuming character creation is handled similarly where you creat a face and character at the start.

Cheers again.

Can you really tell if the voicework is cheesy or not in German if you can't understand it?

zakhal
January 18th, 2011, 12:30
Is the voice fully in german or somthing like half english half german?

GhanBuriGhan
January 18th, 2011, 12:38
Is the voice fully in german or somthing like half english half german?

Voiceovers are in German with subtitles. Most ingame texts are translated (e.g. everything quest relevant, but not all "flavor documents"). This is from hearsay, btw, I play it in ther german version.

zakhal
January 18th, 2011, 12:42
Voiceovers are in German with subtitles. Most ingame texts are translated (e.g. everything quest relevant, but not all "flavor documents"). This is from hearsay, btw, I play it in ther german version.

I could live with german voiceovers but all text not translated? That makes me a sad panda.

GhanBuriGhan
January 18th, 2011, 12:59
I could live with german voiceovers but all text not translated? That makes me a sad panda.

I don't know the extent of that, though. I just know some people complained about some notes they found being untranslated. That was also the first version, maybe the situation is better now if they did further patches. Better to ask someone who plays the english version or ask at their forums befor judging it. Either way I strongly suggest to give it a try - its free, and quite amazing for a total conversion mod project.

ToddMcF2002
January 18th, 2011, 14:46
There is very little that isn't translated. Most of the books you'll find around the world are in English. I think I've seen 3 or 4 items - like 2 notes and two books in German out of 30 or so? The fact that the game is in German does nothing but add to the European look and feel In my opinion. As far as the download, I used the Torrent that was available and got it in less than a half hour. You may not get dinged for bandwidth using that network.

ToddMcF2002
January 18th, 2011, 17:22
Can you really tell if the voicework is cheesy or not in German if you can't understand it?

I've seen Das Boot 20 times! ;)

ToddMcF2002
January 19th, 2011, 04:53
OK level 16, 36 hours in. This is Stonefield in the distance which as you can see is really well designed. The landscape and architecture designers definitely took a page from the Gothic book, there is lots of use of height and it feels very natural. Size wise, Stonefield is nothing compared to the capital Erothin though, which has to be about half the size of Baldurs Gate. I spent a good 8 hours there. I'll take a shot later...

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx251/ToddMcF200299/NehrimScreen1.jpg

Dajjer
January 19th, 2011, 05:40
Level 12 now and it took me… I'm surprised it doesn't get more press around here considering its considerable quality, the scorn for Oblivion and how it is all so well addressed.

This should have been Oblivion.

There are quite a few Nehrim threads here. There was even a recent news article that stated the mod won "Mod of the Year" honors. I loved the game but unfortunately, I have one of those machines where the game crashes a lot. Still, I enjoyed my time (unfinished) with this game more than Oblvion.

Wulf
January 19th, 2011, 12:20
@ToddMcF2002

Have you done the quest to kill the magical portal golems yet? - the sequence is timed, i think it was near Stonefield.

Alistair
January 19th, 2011, 16:14
That sequence is actually as far as I got - it was so annoyinng that I quit and haven't gone back yet... I'm supposed to do what? With what? When? How about now? Oh, dead again...

BillSeurer
January 19th, 2011, 16:40
Overall Nehrim is great. Because it was done by a group of volunteers parts of it are rough, incomplete, and some are, frankly, poorly done.

Dark Savant
January 19th, 2011, 17:17
This mod in not done yet. They are still improving it.

This is huge.
First, thanks to all folks who voted us to the Top 100 list. Thanks to the translation team - although we know that the English translation is far from perfect, we'll be trying to improve it in future patches. Thanks to all who contributed to this mod!

The SureAI team will do its best to earn the success even in the future:

* The major update 1.1.0 will be released soon, including new bounty quests and arena fights as well as an additional Zeroblion quest.

* An addon is under development. It will continue Nehrim's story line from the moment the original game's main quest ended.

fragonard
January 19th, 2011, 18:29
That sequence is actually as far as I got - it was so annoyinng that I quit and haven't gone back yet… I'm supposed to do what? With what? When? How about now? Oh, dead again…

Just run around the circle and let your own golem chip away at them. At the normal low level for that quest, you won't be able to go one-on-one with them.

crpgnut
January 19th, 2011, 19:14
One mistake that Nehrim makes is that you'll have many places you can't visit at all unless you've progressed the main quest to a certain point. I didn't care for where the main quest was heading, so I bailed out on it. This ended up blocking several areas that had a barrier of some kind until you passed point X of the main quest.

human_male
January 19th, 2011, 22:56
I just wanted to post a word of caution for people who are thinking of downloading it; it seems to require a much faster system than Oblivion. My machine runs Oblivion really well, but I play Nehrim on the same settings and it's unplayable. Very, very choppy.

I just exited the first dungeon and I wasn't enjoying it at all up to that point. That dungeon was one of the must frustrating and decidedly non-fun gaming experiences I can remember. The one torch they let you have burned out early on and I'm stumbling around in near total darkness, trying to find my way through. In the end I had to turn the brightness all the way up just to be able to move forward which ruined the atmos of course. And cave troll after cave troll after cave troll!

I was really impressed at the beginning, new armour and items and stuff but having just left the first dungeon I have no compulsion to keep playing. One other major reason for that which is not the game's fault is I'm forced to play with Oblivion's original chase camera and I find it intolerable. A chase camera mod was the first mod I installed in Oblivion, and I did so on the very first day I got the game. That's how bad it is. But again that's not Nehrim's fault. That's Beth's.

And I struggled with the tiny sub title text. I had to lean forward and squint to read it. Not good for late night gaming marathons.

GhanBuriGhan
January 19th, 2011, 23:13
I absolutely adored that starting dungeon! Linear but one of the most atmospheric dungeon experiences I had in a long time. Oh well, different strokes... The system requirements outside are indeed much higher than Oblivion. Turning off distant architecture made it playable for me.

Strafe
January 20th, 2011, 01:08
I absolutely adored that starting dungeon! Linear but one of the most atmospheric dungeon experiences I had in a long time. Oh well, different strokes… The system requirements outside are indeed much higher than Oblivion. Turning off distant architecture made it playable for me.

+1 just loved that dungeon

and indeed the game needs a better machine then oblivion… but not much more
I played oblivion on a 8800GT and played Nehrim first when it appeard in english on the same 8800GT card but with a Q8200 instead of a PIV 3.06GHz

BillSeurer
January 20th, 2011, 01:16
I just wanted to post a word of caution for people who are thinking of downloading it; it seems to require a much faster system than Oblivion. My machine runs Oblivion really well, but I play Nehrim on the same settings and it's unplayable. Very, very choppy.

This is because most of the game world is contiguous without having to go through "magic doors". That's really cool but does have this downside. I have a pretty beefy system and there are spots in Nehrim I just skipped because of this (that one creepy forest for instance).

ToddMcF2002
January 20th, 2011, 04:25
I haven't done that timed quest but I'm on my way to Stonefield right now on the main quest, so perhaps that's it. The first dungeon is ok, but the game in general really gets cranking after the town gates are opened. I didn't start loving this thing until i got out of the intro areas.

Yes the game is more taxing than Oblivion, but other than the Capital which is freaking huge and so detailed it lags a bit, I've had no issues. 9800m GTS laptop. However, I'm running as follows:

view distance 100%
distant landscape on (a must)
distant buildings on (a must)
grass slider 50%
exterior shadow range 30%
quality shadows off
actor distance 25%
objects 25%
grass shadows off
tree detail 25%

There are alot of NPC's in the game and they are all seemingly busy doing stuff, so set the actors accordingly. I haven't noticed any "pop in" actors at 25% so its not a problem. You can't see objects further than 25% anyway so rendering them is pointless. The big one though is the tree detail, it made a huge difference. All it does is give less leaves, the game still looks amazing and natural. There are ALOT of trees in Nehrim! Grass has always been an issue with the game. Play around with it, you'll find a nice balance.

ToddMcF2002
January 20th, 2011, 06:34
That sequence is actually as far as I got - it was so annoyinng that I quit and haven't gone back yet… I'm supposed to do what? With what? When? How about now? Oh, dead again…

It turned out that was the quest I was about to do. All you have to do is let Melvin shout out when to do what and its pretty easy - assuming you slotted and hot keyed the dagger and the spell of course! I had to cast the spell twice. Took a few rounds to figure that out.

wildstar
January 20th, 2011, 08:57
I am loving this game as well. I'm about 38 hours in at level 19. I'm not even finished with act 2, and there are 5 acts. It's a great rpg. The underworld sequence is how dungeons should be done.

Alrik Fassbauer
January 20th, 2011, 12:48
One mistake that Nehrim makes is that you'll have many places you can't visit at all unless you've progressed the main quest to a certain point.

To me, that's common to many games. Even Dragon Age has it, in some places.
These places just don't appear on the map, then.
But they are there.

coaster
January 20th, 2011, 20:51
Has anyone played Arktwend, the predecessor mod by the same team (http://morrowind2009.wordpress.com/total-conversion-arktwend-english/)? Any views? The linked article has a fair bit of praise so I was wondering if it is also worth playing through.

Wulf
January 21st, 2011, 01:09
I've just downloaded Arktwend (Eng) and will have a bash at installing it - Will report back later if i get it to run - it does indeed sound like a good game - fingers crossed.

Thrasher
January 21st, 2011, 01:44
You guys are making me think I should install Oblivion again. Who'd thunk?

Shagnak
January 21st, 2011, 02:31
You guys are making me think I should install Oblivion again. Who'd thunk?
Me too :)
The torrent seems to be pretty darn fast.

Thrasher
January 21st, 2011, 02:42
So is Fileshack - about 750KB/Sec - about 3/4 of the max.

ToddMcF2002
January 21st, 2011, 03:27
So is Fileshack - about 750KB/Sec - about 3/4 of the max.

You pay for downloads? DUDE.

Thrasher
January 21st, 2011, 03:29
Nope. That's the FREE download button buddy! Still a 23 minute download... Is the torrent faster?

ToddMcF2002
January 21st, 2011, 03:47
I think it was faster, had alot of seeders. Over 1MBs. 750 is nothing to sneeze about though! You are going to like this one. I was very skeptical myself having tried ambitious mods and total conversions in the past on Oblivion and other games. This is not like the others.

Thrasher
January 21st, 2011, 03:55
I really like the Lost Spires mod. But couldn't find much else way back then. I'd play that mod if you haven't yet. I thought it was better than the original quests and DLCs (except maybe SI).

ToddMcF2002
January 21st, 2011, 04:00
I'll check it out when I finish this yarn. Its going to be awfully hard to give up this XP leveling and Gothic-ish LP system though.

ToddMcF2002
January 21st, 2011, 04:25
OK back in the capital Erothin on business. I said it was big, like Baldurs Gate big and I wasn't kidding! Pulled out my +2 orb of pic taking…

distance
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx251/ToddMcF200299/capital1.jpg

standing on the tower wall
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx251/ToddMcF200299/capital2.jpg

in town
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx251/ToddMcF200299/capital3.jpg

Wulf
January 21st, 2011, 12:37
Nice shots (is the rim lighting setting on max?) - Nehrim outshines big Ob' in many ways, both in gameplay and in the graphics.

I have memories of running along the wall chasing a thief...and then...there's getting into the palace....phew!...good luck.

ToddMcF2002
January 21st, 2011, 13:37
Not sure on the lighting, I didn't touch it. It was sunset. I did chase the thief ;)

abharsair
January 21st, 2011, 20:15
Yes, it's an awesome mod. I've been playing it more than 40 hours and I enjoy it much more than I ever enjoyed Oblivion. It's hard to believe it's not a commercial project.

Ovenall
January 21st, 2011, 20:26
Is there any fast travel at all in Nehrim? I know some some don't like it, but some kind of fast travel is a plus in my book

I actually downloaded the Nehrim mod and still haven't tried it. Maybe some day. Frankly, it sounds so big that I'll probably never get very far in it.

abharsair
January 21st, 2011, 20:33
No, there's no fast travel, but you can buy teleport spells and teleport to various locations. There's also a "mark" and "return" spell.

coaster
January 21st, 2011, 20:42
No, there's no fast travel, but you can buy teleport spells and teleport to various locations. There's also a "mark" and "return" spell.

Much better than fast travel in my book, I felt the fast travel in vanilla Oblivion broke the atmosphere (and made horses largely pointless), I want some kind of in-game justification for moving around instantly.

ToddMcF2002
January 21st, 2011, 23:16
It costs you though - Mark/Recall and teleport location runes (aka Gothic) both consume a pricey gem. Frankly haven't used it, invested in a horse instead. Horses are pricey too, but persistent. The economy makes you work for it, a big plus in my book. Good arrows are pricey, recharges etc. The repair system is far less annoying though, stuff degrades slowly.

crpgnut
January 21st, 2011, 23:28
While I eventually grew bored with Nehrim, I got 50-60 hours out of it at least. It's a good game. If the main quest would have been more to my liking, it might have battled for rpg of the year for me.

Ovenall
January 22nd, 2011, 23:57
While I eventually grew bored with Nehrim, I got 50-60 hours out of it at least. It's a good game. If the main quest would have been more to my liking, it might have battled for rpg of the year for me.

Can you explain more about how it was not to your liking? I haven't played it and am curious.

ToddMcF2002
January 24th, 2011, 07:55
Plot works for me… Another nice shot, no particular reason.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx251/ToddMcF200299/onhorse.jpg

Wulf
January 24th, 2011, 12:41
The shot is nice yet similar to previous, shots with a touch of 'action' look good also...:)

I see you are wearing the black hood (thieves probably if you did the quest?) - i think there's also a full black armour set (high stats/traits) somewhere in the game. In fact there are several very beneficial matched sets which work to full bonus effect only if all the set pieces are collected....and of course a beautiful black horse would give it the finishing touch!

booboo
January 24th, 2011, 14:12
I enjoyed Nehirim at lower levels/earlier in the game, but I'm now at a city in the South fetching some more stuff for some grump mage and I just lost steam :-/ A pity, because I really enjoyed what they did with the world. I tried starting it up again last week, fiddled for 5 minutes and then shut it down. I'm busy replaying Morrowind + many mods, MGE and new content like Rise of House Telvanni and the new land of Tamriel Rebuilt - just tryingto get the main quest out of the way. I must say there are many real quality mods for Morrowind and Oblivion - I'm glad they're releasing a toolkit for ES5!
I think the nehirim guys did an excellent job - the only negative for me is that it still looks a bit to much like oblivion (although in parts like the dark forest, they made it wonderfully eerie and unique. Some caves were like that too). I do understand that they couldn't reasonagly redo all the models, textures etc ;-) - still, a very good mod.

ToddMcF2002
January 24th, 2011, 16:02
ha ha I'll take a shot with something new. I'm not usually thinking screenshot on mission, this was a cash in run at the capital :)

crpgnut
January 24th, 2011, 16:19
Can you explain more about how it was not to your liking? I haven't played it and am curious.

Hmmm, without getting too spoilery: There is a character that has godlike powers that you're in charge of freeing and aiding once free. I couldn't stand that guy and I would not support his vision for the future. There was no second option, so that ended the game for me. If I could have just killed him myself, that would have been fun. I was effectively more powerful than he was anyway.

BillSeurer
January 24th, 2011, 16:24
Hmmm, without getting too spoilery: There is a character that has godlike powers that you're in charge of freeing and aiding once free. I couldn't stand that guy and I would not support his vision for the future. There was no second option, so that ended the game for me. If I could have just killed him myself, that would have been fun. I was effectively more powerful than he was anyway.

I have similar thoughts. There are also a couple places where it appears you can make choices about the outcome of the main plot but they are false choices.

Even so I did re-play it most of the way through as a different sort of character after I finished it. I quit that time when I got to where I had to do main plot stuff in order to get into some areas.

elco
January 25th, 2011, 07:57
It looked goo when I first tried it, but it wouldnt run with steam on vista for me. I have win7 now, and you inspired me to give it another go.

crashes were every few minutes on vista. barely made it out of the entry dungeon.

ToddMcF2002
January 26th, 2011, 03:27
The game crashes for me at least once per hour and always on a transition. I just learned to save often and live with it, and it launches/loads very fast so its not a huge issue. It is certainly worth the effort!

wildstar
January 27th, 2011, 01:47

It's hard to say much without spoilers, but toward the end of the main quest, you can deviate from his vision. Plus you missed out on some of the best parts of the game if you quit where you did.

Karmapowered
February 4th, 2011, 02:47
Ditto here. I didn't like the introduction part. Without spoiling too much of it, I felt it sounded… contrieved and soulless.

Do YOU often respond to anonymous invitations (to meet someone? to what purpose?), miles away from your home, at a dark spot inside a mine that is rumored to be swamped by monsters ? I don't think so, but okay, I can pretend that I would. After all, I've seen worse… whistleCallOfCthulhuwhistle.

However, if a particular someone got me in trouble because of their invitation, effectively leaving me stranded to fend off for my life for a good whole while, looking for an exit to the surface, and then magically appeared out of thin air shortly before I found it, I am positive I couldn't repress the urge to thrust whatever pointy bit (or rusty axe, at the time) I was holding in my hand through this neck, rather than to listen to his pseudo-justifications and accept his proposal to join his super secret (like, everyone knows of it?) confrerie (yawn, you're kidding, right?).

Anyway, I am mostly fine with linear story progression, but not so if it's forced down upon the player in such an artifical fashion.

It is a shame, because the initial premises seemed rather promising (surviving against all odds), the visuals enticing, and the atmosphere of the places I got to visit a good league ahead of standard Oblivion's in matters of wow, this is cool! factor.

Nehrim isn't quite up to what I expect from a "good" RPG. Still, overall it's a pretty satisfying experience of the Oblivion engine, contrary to the one I had with Bethesda's original game, for example, and I can see why some people would praise it largely, especially if one had enjoyed Gothic/Two Worlds before (which I didn't).

ToddMcF2002
February 4th, 2011, 23:37
Gothic yes, Two Worlds decidedly no.

ToddMcF2002
February 6th, 2011, 16:24
Just in case folks missed the news item, English patch released. Open up your Nehrim launcher (as administrator) and it should inform you it is ready to update.

I installed it and it is compatible with save games. Again just make sure you run the launcher as administrator and let it do its thing. I've heard of folks having issues if they installed Oblivion in "Program files" but I'm at "c:\nehrim..." so it was strait forward.

Post launch I immediately got a message there was a new bounty quest available. Enjoy.

Benedict
February 7th, 2011, 15:07
Enjoying it so far, very definitely a Gothic inspired game. Shame it's still got some of the Oblivion orientated stuff, I hate having to spam my skills to get decent attribute gains at level up.

Overall very impressed though, amazing the quality of work that can come out of entirely free community efforts. I think more game designers should give thought to trying some kind of premium module arrangement whereby people who do something as good as Nehrim can actually make some money out of it (and to not stuffing it up as heroically as Atari did with MoW).

BillSeurer
February 7th, 2011, 17:58
Enjoying it so far, very definitely a Gothic inspired game. Shame it's still got some of the Oblivion orientated stuff, I hate having to spam my skills to get decent attribute gains at level up.

Nehrim has a completely different level advancement scheme than Oblivion.

Benedict
February 7th, 2011, 18:04
Nehrim has a completely different level advancement scheme than Oblivion.

It's different certainly, but the size of the attribute gain at level up still seems to be driven by the number of advancements in skills driven by that attribute.

i.e. there's still an incentive to keep jumping and spamming your spells.

Karmapowered
February 7th, 2011, 21:24
I agree, which is why one of the first mods that I added to Nehrim was the all +5 attributes modifier at level up.

This is my complete list of mods for Nehrim, and they served me well during 2 playthroughs.

Active Mod Files:
00 Nehrim.esm
01 NehrimData.esp
02 Black Heart.esp
03 DarkSaintHGEC.esp
04 EY_AoD.esp
05 NexonsArmoryENG.esp
++ Nehrim_Bigger_Bears_and_Smaller_Foxes.esp
06 BetterLookingMaleKim.esp
07 NehrimFairFemaleKim.esp
08 X.Races.Comp.esp
++ NehrimGrassFix.esp
09 NehrimEnglish.esp
0A Nehrim Improvment.esp
0B FastRoasting(EN).esp
0C fasttravelupdate.esp
0D All+5AttributeModifiers.esp
0E Bashed Patch, 0.esp

One last tip for Steam users : if you have issues launching Nehrim after installing and configuring it through the Nehrim launcher, copy OblivionLauncher.exe over to the root of the folder in which you installed Nehrim. You should now be able to play.

It's different certainly, but the size of the attribute gain at level up still seems to be driven by the number of advancements in skills driven by that attribute.

i.e. there's still an incentive to keep jumping and spamming your spells.

JDR13
February 8th, 2011, 22:30
I agree, which is why one of the first mods that I added to Nehrim was the all +5 attributes modifier at level up.

This is my complete list of mods for Nehrim, and they served me well during 2 playthroughs.

Active Mod Files:
00 Nehrim.esm
01 NehrimData.esp
02 Black Heart.esp
03 DarkSaintHGEC.esp
04 EY_AoD.esp
05 NexonsArmoryENG.esp
++ Nehrim_Bigger_Bears_and_Smaller_Foxes.esp
06 BetterLookingMaleKim.esp
07 NehrimFairFemaleKim.esp
08 X.Races.Comp.esp
++ NehrimGrassFix.esp
09 NehrimEnglish.esp
0A Nehrim Improvment.esp
0B FastRoasting(EN).esp
0C fasttravelupdate.esp
0D All+5AttributeModifiers.esp
0E Bashed Patch, 0.esp

I have to admit that strikes me as being somewhat ironic. A bunch of mods being used to to improve a mod. :)

Karmapowered
February 9th, 2011, 02:05
Isn't the whole point of the game to be modded, even its mods :) ?

Seriously though, I guess I can't play Oblivion anymore without a minimum of fig leaves. Nehrim improved ALOT on the shortcomings of the core game, but some of the fairly painful ones remained… and I just don't have the stamina anymore :)

I have to admit that strikes me as being somewhat ironic. A bunch of mods being used to to improve a mod. :)

ToddMcF2002
February 9th, 2011, 02:31
I don't see the point of modding the leveling system and killing the balance of the game. Games that are too easy are boring.

The Nehrim skill advancement makes perfect sense to me. You gain skill by 'doing' which is the Elder Scrolls way, and you gain skill by 'learning' which is the Gothic way. Nehrim gates your ability to learn using governing attributes, such as swords gated by strength, shields gated by endurance. Nehrim effectively limits your ability to master a skill by rote, you have to be trained. Nehrim has simply combined both systems which is intuitive and appropriate.

Karmapowered
February 9th, 2011, 03:17
I will be the first to admit that I don't have a clear perception of how Nehrim links the skills to the stats. In my defence, it wasn't explained anywhere I could find in the documentation delivered with the game (installation guide, or walkthrough).

All that I know is that I started Nehrim without any levelling mod. Shortly before leaving the cave, I levelled up and received a +2 or +3 in strength (fighting with a rusty axe and my fists, I guess), nothing else, whereas my mind was set on playing my character as a rogue, and I spent a whole lot of time sneaking around.

The only tidbits I could gather about the skill system in Nehrim were that the sneaking skill is skewed, making it the #5 mod download (http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/search.php?name=nehrim&scid=20&author=&mname=&desc=&size1=&size2=&downloads1=&downloads2=&udate1_day=&udate1_month=&udate1_year=&udate2_day=&udate2_month=&udate2_year=&ldate1_day=&ldate1_month=&ldate1_year=&ldate2_day=&ldate2_month=&ldate2_year=&endorsements=&images=&readme=&adultonly=&opensource=&page=1&orderby=downloads&order=DESC) for Nehrim on the Nexus.

The other two skill/stat levelling mods I could locate seemed either overly complex (http://www.sureai.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=3061), or unfit (http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=6446) to my needs.

Hence why I switched to the trusty mod (http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2691) that I had used for Oblivion, and converted it for Nehrim in less than a minute.

I don't see the point of modding the leveling system and killing the balance of the game. Games that are too easy are boring.

The Nehrim skill advancement makes perfect sense to me. You gain skill by 'doing' which is the Elder Scrolls way, and you gain skill by 'learning' which is the Gothic way. Nehrim gates your ability to learn using governing attributes, such as swords gated by strength, shields gated by endurance. Nehrim effectively limits your ability to master a skill by rote, you have to be trained. Nehrim has simply combined both systems which is intuitive and appropriate.

ToddMcF2002
February 9th, 2011, 03:39
I'd just caution that the devs put serious effort towards keeping Nehrim challenging and rewarding, which was hardly a hallmark of Oblivion. I think you'll get pretty bored if you are laying the smack down by level 5 ;)