PDA

View Full Version : Rediscovering Divine Divinity…

JDR13
July 2nd, 2011, 06:21
I started a playthrough yesterday as a Warrior, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I don't know why I waited so long to go back to this game.

That first dungeon is massive.. and I'm loving every second of it. :)

Any tips for early-game characters?

skavenhorde
July 2nd, 2011, 07:41
It's been so long since I played I can't even remember what I concentrated in. I can tell you two things. One skill you need is lockpicking. Keep that sucker maxed out whenever you can. It drove me nuts when I couldn't open a chest. The other skill you don't need is summon vermin. I had such high hopes for that skill and it sucked big time.

Here is a lot of information on Divine Divinity from The Locus Inn part of this website (http://www.locusinn.com/show/infopages?gameid=179) :) I believe Mythros made it. Don't quote me on that, but I know he is a huge Divine Divinity fan.

JDR13
July 2nd, 2011, 09:11
Thanks. I'm level 8 right now, and I've been hoarding most of my skill points so far. I spent one point each in Elven Sight, Alchemy, and Evade Trap.

I'll take your advice and drop a point in Lockpick.

Can anyone tell me if Identify is worth investing in?

JemyM
July 2nd, 2011, 09:20
I finished it as a wizard using hell spikes which is a broketastic spell (of the kind you finish the whole game with). The only thing I remember well is that the game opens up after you get through the first dungeon and sadly many players quit in the first dungeon.

Frozen Fireball
July 2nd, 2011, 11:17
Well, another skill I think you should focus on ( Alongside with lockpick. A very important skill as already mentioned. ) is Wisdom which gives you extra XP. I managed to get around lvl 52 near the end with that skill. Also it makes you lvl a bit faster and that is very useful at start when you are weak.

Alrik Fassbauer
July 2nd, 2011, 13:32
You can ask me if you have any questions, too.
Especially background (lore) questions.

SirJames
July 2nd, 2011, 16:26
Tips?!

Ok, so right at the start jsut head straight south out of town, cross the bridge, then make your way NE up to the store with the bard outside it. Pay him for a song, when the wizard exits run in and loot the id5 dagger and spellbook from him.

You could go back and do the newbie dungeon now, or you could find some potions of poison and a bow and head straight down south to the elf forest. Poison your bow and take out some ogres and fire beatles kiting them with poison. 15,000xp each, you should get to 10 in 2 minutes. Head all the way south and grab the unique gloves from the funeral pyre then back up NE and grab the 2h sword out of the stone (optional).

Now you're off to a strong start. That newbie dungeon will be cakewalk. :)

edit: you dont need to max lockpicking. get to 2 or 3, the rest can be found via quests/items. The same as a bunch of stuff, If I recall.

JDR13
July 2nd, 2011, 19:54
Tips?!

Ok, so right at the start jsut head straight south out of town, cross the bridge, then make your way NE up to the store with the bard outside it. Pay him for a song, when the wizard exits run in and loot the id5 dagger and spellbook from him.

You could go back and do the newbie dungeon now, or you could find some potions of poison and a bow and head straight down south to the elf forest. Poison your bow and take out some ogres and fire beatles kiting them with poison. 15,000xp each, you should get to 10 in 2 minutes. Head all the way south and grab the unique gloves from the funeral pyre then back up NE and grab the 2h sword out of the stone (optional)..

I asked for tips, not exploits. :lol:

I didn't even know I could travel that far from the starting town yet. I've cleared the area around the town just short of the bridge, and every level of that first dungeon except the bottom. That final dungeon level is a real bitch though, so I guess I might do some more exploring after all.

I have to invest in the Poison Weapon skill before I can poison arrows I assume?

I've heard varying opinions on the Wisdom skill. Some have said it's not worth it.

Should I bother putting any points into Identify?

Alrik Fassbauer
July 3rd, 2011, 00:35
Pay him for a song,

Not A song,

for MY song, please !

And anyway, it's rather the recitation of a poem than the "singing of a song".

JDR13
July 3rd, 2011, 02:57
Why do I keep getting encumbered even though I'm not over my maximum weight capacity?

Freeradical
July 3rd, 2011, 05:20
Pretty early on I found +1 identity gloves and a +1 identity ring. I found that useful enough to avoid wasting skill points. Considering how easy it is to make money in this game, at 100-250 gp for merchants to identify, I'd save my skill points. (also, the teleporter stones make getting to the merchants quite easy.)

As for the last part of the catacombs, playing a warrior I found very difficult. What was key to getting through was investing 1 point in Meteor Storm (I think it's called)... my God, what a difference that made! It all depends if you want to stick to pure warrior or go battle mage.

Sersanah
July 3rd, 2011, 05:33
Why do I keep getting encumbered even though I'm not over my maximum weight capacity?

Are you becoming encumbered and then dropping/eating/using an item to lower the weight but remaining encumbered even when the new weight total is below the encumberance threshold? If so, you will have to shift an item in inventory and it will fix it - this is a bug that I don't believe was ever addressed with patches.

JDR13
July 3rd, 2011, 05:40
Are you becoming encumbered and then dropping/eating/using an item to lower the weight but remaining encumbered even when the new weight total is below the encumberance threshold? If so, you will have to shift an item in inventory and it will fix it - this is a bug that I don't believe was ever addressed with patches.

No, I mean I don't understand what the encumberance threshold is. For instance, it shows a number like 1570/2200, and I assume the first number is my current weight, while the second number is my maximum weight. I get encumbered when I go over a certain amount, even though it's well below my maximum.

DArtagnan
July 3rd, 2011, 09:02
Not that I remember, but maybe the system is based on being encumbered BEFORE reaching the absolute max carry weight? Many games do that.

Frozen Fireball
July 3rd, 2011, 09:28
No, I mean I don't understand what the encumberance threshold is. For instance, it shows a number like 1570/2200, and I assume the first number is my current weight, while the second number is my maximum weight. I get encumbered when I go over a certain amount, even though it's well below my maximum.

If I remember correctly, there are two levels of encumbring. In the first one, you get slowed down and can't run, in the second one, you can't even move. This happens when you surpass the max weight.

Also, DD is not a very punishing game in terms of wrong character development choices. So don't be very picky about the skills you choose. Always try to pick the skills that are interesting in your eyes and you think they improve your experience with the game. Also, save couple of skill points from your early level for some very useful skills that require high levels to get unlocked.

SirJames
July 3rd, 2011, 12:18
Awww, those are more "getting started" tips from an experienced player who knows where to go already.

Poisoned weapons are extremely powerful early on. Maybe a tippy tip would be "always buy empty bottles" for your alchemy so you can make loads of poison.

Exploits would be casting Command on scorpion traps. :ţ

Also, with that final floor of the first dungeon it looks like ur being attacked by overwhelming amounts but most are very weak and die in one hit. Focus on the bosses who summon more skeletons and don't pull too much of the room at once.

Alrik Fassbauer
July 3rd, 2011, 13:22
I think you must "strengthen up" your strength, because - if I remember correctly - encumbrance is calculated on strength.

JDR13
July 3rd, 2011, 17:58
Level 11 now, and wandering the countryside a bit. Are there any special tactics for fighting Orc Drummers? Those things are brutal!

Also, is it just me, or are ranged weapons somewhat weak in this game?

Dhruin
July 4th, 2011, 09:21
Poisoned weapons flatten them in no time (the Alchemy skill where you manually add poison - not the automatic weapons skills). One of my favourite parts of the game was bottling poison and applying it to my weapon.

Alrik Fassbauer
July 4th, 2011, 11:18
Frost is definitively overpowered - if you want to have an "easy walk", use Frost.

wiretripped
July 4th, 2011, 14:42
The only thing I remember well is that the game opens up after you get through the first dungeon and sadly many players quit in the first dungeon.

Consider me one of those. :)
I really ought to give it a shot again, soon. Damn that backlog...

lostforever
July 4th, 2011, 15:28
I remember playing that game for long time but I don't think I have ever finished it. It was nice little game though. Can't say the same thing about the second one.

I will have to replay the first one again.

Gokyabgu
July 4th, 2011, 20:01
I started a playthrough yesterday as a Warrior, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I don't know why I waited so long to go back to this game.

That first dungeon is massive.. and I'm loving every second of it. :)

Any tips for early-game characters?

Better late than never. :)

One of my favourite RPGs ever. Perfect mix of action&traditional RPGs.

Strafe
July 4th, 2011, 20:06
:( u make me wanna play it again... i never finish it... i really liked it but somehow i got lost :)

and now.. how should i play it with my limited time and not lost track of it again !!!!!!!
oh... decisions

JDR13
July 5th, 2011, 22:26
I remember playing that game for long time but I don't think I have ever finished it. It was nice little game though. Can't say the same thing about the second one.

I will have to replay the first one again.

You should definitely give it another try. I can't believe how much fun I'm having with it.

Btw: Beyond Divinity isn't a sequel to DD as I understand it, but rather more of a spin-off.

Alrik Fassbauer
July 5th, 2011, 22:44
Yes. BD is rather "Divinity 1.5", so to say, assumed that Divinity 2 is "Divinity 2.0", so to say. ;)

Thrasher
July 5th, 2011, 23:45
DD1 is definitely one of the funnest RPGs I've played. Very forgiving about character development choices, good exploration and secrets to find, some tricky tactical combat (not a pure clickfest). However, managing that inventory is a bit of bitch, if you're a packrat. I remember a lot of fiddling there, hard to distinguish overlapping items. It was the beginning of the end for my eyesight. ;)

Drummers - go after them first! They buff their their colleagues.

lostforever
July 6th, 2011, 11:23
You should definitely give it another try. I can't believe how much fun I'm having with it.

Btw: Beyond Divinity isn't a sequel to DD as I understand it, but rather more of a spin-off.

Going to play it again and then start DKS :) where did you get your copy pls? gog.com?

JDR13
July 6th, 2011, 11:26
Going to play it again and then start DKS :) where did you get your copy pls? gog.com?

Yes. I have an original boxed copy, but I also purchased it from GOG so I could play it in Windows 7.

Alrik Fassbauer
July 6th, 2011, 13:53
Drummers - go after them first! They buff their their colleagues.

If I remember correctly, the graphics artist responsible for them also "used" his idea in Spellforce 1 ...

Merlock
July 6th, 2011, 14:30
I've been playing this as well and it's been pretty fun, but I think I'm at a dead end. I might have gone to Stormfist castle a bit too early because I'm in the cellars right now and I'm getting my butt kicked. There's no way to teleport out since that gnome or whatever it was took my teleporter stone. Oh well, I was getting tired of playing mage anyway (spamming frost + meteorstrike was getting boring). I might start over as a survivor, but I'm not looking forward to that first dungeon :/

Is the first dungeon very difficult with a survivor?

JDR13
July 8th, 2011, 10:17
What's with items that give you a bonus to hearing? That stat doesn't appear in the status screen, and there's nothing about it in the manual. What does it do exactly?

Also, is there any way to free the soldiers in the military camp that get mind-controlled by those 3 wizards, or is killing them the only option?

Frozen Fireball
July 8th, 2011, 10:56
What's with items that give you a bonus to hearing? That stat doesn't appear in the status screen, and there's nothing about it in the manual. What does it do exactly?

Also, is there any way to free the soldiers in the military camp that get mind-controlled by those 3 wizards, or is killing them the only option?
Well, hearing improves detecting enemies as a red dot on mini-map.
I thought there's no way to free them. But I saw the last post of this thread:
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=438753
in Larian forums which says:
Actually, you meet one of the 3 wizards that cast the mind control spell later in the game, after which the effect will be gone. Until then there is no way to get help or inform anyone about the situation.

Strafe
July 8th, 2011, 11:03
Well, hearing is like sighting. It improves detecting enemies as a red dot on mini-map.
I thought there's no way to free them. But I saw the last post of this thread: ( Some minor spoilers )
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=438753
in Larian forums which says if you don't kill the soldiers and then kill the wizards later in the game , they get free. Although you could use the XP you get from killing them.

On the Faq from GameBanshee they say :
http://www.gamebanshee.com/divinedivinity/locations/ferolsouthoverview.php
21 - Military Camp

When you walk far enough into the camp, three evil wizards named Cornelius, Josephina and Antx will take over the minds of the soldiers and turn them against you. There isn't any way to cure the soldiers, so go ahead and kill them all unless it makes you feel too guilty. You'll meet the three evil wizards again

lostforever
July 8th, 2011, 11:47
I got DD last night and started to play for bit and the big thing I noticed was how some of these old top down 2D games have nice "charm" about them which is greatly lacking in some new 3D games. Can't put word on but it sort of felt "good" exploring the first village :)

Being playing D2 demo recently and it's nice to see how dungeon design from DD has transferred over to the D2. The dev must love candles!

ToddMcF2002
December 12th, 2012, 05:49
I've been playing this for several hours now (Level 14). Tried to play it some years ago and only made it about this far. Boy do I miss pixel art! Game looks great. A couple oddities:
1. Windows 7 - for me *very* unstable until put in "XP SP3" Compatibility. Now it is rock stable.
2. Random untargetable Hostile Creatures. This is a tough one. So far only two creatures have become "untargetable" for right click spell attacks... a wasp and a boar. Its a very odd problem. Apparently, once this bug hits the creature is *forever* untargetable. For the Boar I ran away. I teleported away. I slept. I reloaded. Eventually I would reencounter the Boar. The way I was force to kill him was to aggro some orcs to help weaken the creature and then I went melee with my staff (I'm a very physically weak spell caster). Needless to say... if this bug hits on a tough creature I'm screwed!

Besides that I've encountered no bugs.

Pessimeister
December 12th, 2012, 13:11
Just remember after you've finished the game, to enter your character into the RPGWatch Honour Roll that I created in the Divinity 2 thread.
We haven't got very many characters so far, so get to it you lazy heathens! :)

ToddMcF2002
December 12th, 2012, 15:27
Will do ;). BTW I forgot one more anomaly I'm facing: Every once in a while my menu bar vanishes and gets replaced with 2 or 3 lines of crazed pixels. I have to save and reload (not exit the game thankfully). Stupid little oddities, nothing worrisome.

wiretripped
December 12th, 2012, 16:25
Will do ;). BTW I forgot one more anomaly I'm facing: Every once in a while my menu bar vanishes and gets replaced with 2 or 3 lines of crazed pixels. I have to save and reload (not exit the game thankfully). Stupid little oddities, nothing worrisome.

I had that too, and remember being confused by it. I think it happens when you right-click on it. Another right-click one those "lines" should bring it back, if I remember correctly.

Raze
December 13th, 2012, 08:51
Yes, that is a feature. Right clicking on the menu bar minimizes it to 3 lines (red for health, blue for mana and yellow for stamina); right clicking on the lines brings back the full menu bar.

In latest download version of the game (1.006) this feature was removed, since it caused more problems than it was worth, and is less useful with people playing at higher resolutions than when the game was first released.

And just for the heck of it, if anyone would like to discover DD with the GOG release, here is a gift code (first come, first serve): -redeemed-

wiretripped
December 13th, 2012, 15:22
I already have it, but thanks Raze. :)

Don't have one for BD, by any chance? ;)

Thrasher
December 13th, 2012, 17:55
I actually liked the minimization to status bars. Too bad they removed it.

JDR13
December 13th, 2012, 22:41

Both games are only $2.99 right now at GOG.

Igor
December 13th, 2012, 23:20
BD was even free on GMG awhile ago,regarless of price is a nice game,especialy in the third act.

Raze
December 14th, 2012, 05:32

Nope, sorry.

wiretripped
December 14th, 2012, 14:40
Both games are only $2.99 right now at GOG.

I am aware. :P
However, my backlog is too unmanageable as it is to add more, as cheap as they may be. Though, of course, I wouldn't reject a free game. ;)

ToddMcF2002
December 27th, 2012, 18:10
Finished this last night at errr.... 4:40AM.

I'm going to give this a B. I loved the game overall but there are some pretty glaring defects, particularly with the quest designs. There are far too many quest "conditions" that the game seems to check for and combinations of conditions that leave quests broken. I had around 7-8 dead quests in my journal, confirmed online that dialog options were never going to happen to close them out.

Also... about that Teleporter Pyramids quest. Not much of a spoiler but here it is:
Imp steals your pyramids as soon as you enter the castle. Quest it so recover them obviously.
Here is my beef with this quest. There is *no* option to avoid the quest assignment. However it is extremely easy to end up sh*t out of luck and never finish this one. Again, it has to do with "quest preconditions" that allow you to progress this one. Then, of course, you get whisked away to a region never to return which leaves this one broken as well.

Its just bad design. I probably spent 2-3 extra hours hoofing it around pointlessly because I couldn't complete that quest. It made endgame a total frustration.

Finally.... Josephina. Are you kidding? There needs to be some kind of guidance to defeating something that uber powerful. Her spam attacks and casting are far beyond mortal fingers on keyboard. To make matters worse the first encounter is like trying to fight in a shoebox. This also created a game stopping bug as your enemy can vanish into the wall, again quest failure, again reload old save.

The game has tons going for it. I love the ambiance, the addictive game play, the humor and the setting... but I'm having some difficulty getting beyond some of the bad design choices and *clearly* poor play testing.

This thing needed several more patches. I really hope Beyond Divinity isn't as buggy as this. I'm going to play it despite my issues with Divine Divinity but it is with some hesitation...

JDR13
December 27th, 2012, 21:51
My only real beef was the endgame and how you couldn't go back to the rest of the map once you reached the dark lands or whatever that area was called. There should be some kind of warning to let the player know beforehand. The endgame in general was also much too grindy. I honestly don't recall any significant bugs though.

And yeah… Josephina was fucking ridiculous.

Moriendor
December 27th, 2012, 22:11
My only real beef was the endgame and how you couldn't go back to the rest of the map once you reached the dark lands or whatever that area was called. There should be some kind of warning to let the player know beforehand.

I share the complaints about the pretty crappy end game which really left a bad taste after an otherwise quite tasty meal but I don't share the lack of handholding criticism as far as the absence of a warning message is concerned.
As far as I remember from about ten years ago (so my memory might admittedly not be as fresh as yours if you played the game more recently), there were very clear signs in the game that "sounding the gong" after assembling the council was going to be a major event that was going to have major consequences.

I mean it had "save the game now in case you want to go back" written all over it and I'm actually grateful it didn't have an immersion-ripping pop-up window like "WARNING! MAJOR GAME EVENT! SAVE NOW OR NEVER!" :biggrin: .

Raze
December 28th, 2012, 10:25
Also… about that Teleporter Pyramids quest.

Why would you want to avoid accepting a quest to get the teleporter stones back?

Talk to the imp historian again in the council hall (room west of the gong) to retrieve the teleporter stones. If you don't have them when you perform the blessing ceremony, you can get a replacement set near the start of the wastelands (screenshot (http://members.shaw.ca/divineone/ancientpyramids.jpg)).

Finally…. Josephina. Are you kidding?

Josephine is arguably the toughest opponent in the game, but there are various techniques for defeating her (http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=96053&an=). I didn't have too much trouble the first encounter (leaving her until I had cleared most of Ferol, Verdistis and the Dark Forest). I did this council quest second last, leaving the imp one until last (to get the most experience out of the level-up jug in the bee/wasp garden). The fight with her in the wastelands was quite easy.

The bug where she can move into the wall is fairly rare.

The endgame in general was also much too grindy.

The publisher rushed the release of the game, so the wastelands got cut back quite a bit from what was planned, leaving it primarily hack and slash. I started off clearing the map, but then just went directly to where I needed to go, bypassing most of the remaining opponents (except in the Black Ring boss sections, where there wasn't enough room to just run past opponents, or you had to stop and use levers, etc).

ToddMcF2002
December 28th, 2012, 23:08
Josephine clipping into the wall ain't that rare Dude. Happened to me twice! Its a good game overall. Certainly worth playing.

Alrik Fassbauer
December 29th, 2012, 14:04
I remember that an item went into a wall once, but that was now … almost 10 years ago already ???

And, indeed, as far as I can remember, the Wastelands were indeed so empty because - hat's how I understood it, but I don't remember anymore if this is just a rumor or reality - the publisher simply cut the Money for Larian, so that they were running out of it.

They even cut a quest involving a character called Der Adler - "The Eagle", another forum member from the early days.
Der Adler still appears on one of the early wallpapers depicting *all* NPCs …

Thrasher
December 29th, 2012, 22:17
I had no trouble with Josephine, but there was one quest that was broken by the quest giver disappearing by getting killed by a bandit or some such that I aggroed. Very annoying to a completist like myself.

Raze
December 31st, 2012, 02:47
There is a way to Revive dead NPCs (http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=79657&an=), if you are comfortable hex editing, or willing to try it.

I generally tried to clear around friendly areas before entering, though that was so guards wouldn't 'steal' any of my experience points if hostile creatures came too close. In any case, I didn't have any problems with NPCs getting killed.

Alrik Fassbauer
January 1st, 2013, 14:04
I looked into the 10 years' Developer Diary yesterday ... and it became quite interesting, how everything evolved. There were a few things I didn't even know of. ;)

Maybe one day I'll try it again ... :)

Relayer
January 3rd, 2013, 21:22
I'd give the game a B as well though mostly because of the endgame, but also due to a few quest and save bugs I also encountered.

Still, bugs aside, the game was pretty much an A up until the endgame and I still consider it one of my favorite RPGs ever, definitely under appreciated.

solomonhume
January 19th, 2016, 18:03
Thanks. I'm level 8 right now, and I've been hoarding most of my skill points so far. I spent one point each in Elven Sight, Alchemy, and Evade Trap.

I'll take your advice and drop a point in Lockpick.

Can anyone tell me if Identify is worth investing in?

Evade trap is a waste
2 levels of identify is necessary, that covers 3/4 items that need to be identified.

Sacred_Path
January 23rd, 2016, 16:09
holy necro

This thread brings back memories. I'm not gonna lie, DivDiv is stilly my favorite Larian game. Beyond Divinity, we don't need to talk about that, Div2, too streamlined and action-y for my taste, D:OS felt like a string of set combat encounters focusing on elemental counters like a TCG.

Wisdom
January 23rd, 2016, 21:19
Evade trap is a waste
2 levels of identify is necessary, that covers 3/4 items that need to be identified.

Solomonhume wins the necro award of January. He necro'd 2 threads from 2+ years ago with an answer like it was asked yesterday :)

Alrik Fassbauer
January 24th, 2016, 16:40
I need to replay it one day to see that my song and name is still there. :D

Zaleukos
March 1st, 2016, 10:22
I asked for tips, not exploits. :lol:

I didn't even know I could travel that far from the starting town yet. I've cleared the area around the town just short of the bridge, and every level of that first dungeon except the bottom. That final dungeon level is a real bitch though, so I guess I might do some more exploring after all.

I have to invest in the Poison Weapon skill before I can poison arrows I assume?

I've heard varying opinions on the Wisdom skill. Some have said it's not worth it.

Should I bother putting any points into Identify?

I dont remember what that skill did specifically, but in general skills that only speed up levelling or grant extra XP aren't worth it in games. The extra points you get are cancelled by having to invest points in wisdom or whatnot. Better put points into something that actually is used. This goes for games like HoMM as well.

kborom
December 12th, 2016, 12:31
That's it, installing again :)

This was an A for me when I played it the first time, early 2000's, and haven't even loaded it since.
I did play BD a couple of years ago as I did not get into it when first out, it was OK but I got to a dead end in a series of labs with no idea how to get out.

Deleted User
December 13th, 2016, 06:54
I need to replay it one day to see that my song and name is still there. :D

I was shocked when I saw that in-game. :D

Divine Divinity is a fun game. Need to play it more but it has that classic handmade feel to it and the addictive exploration. :)

beldurax
January 17th, 2017, 18:09
I tried installing an playing DD last night but was completely put off by the brutal load times, in-game lag, and overall game performance. My rig is pretty relevant technically, its not old by any means, very good nVidia video card, fairly recent i7 quad core CPU, 8 Gb RAM ... I'm very stingy when it comes to crap running in the background, so I don't know why DD ran so poorly ...

Thrasher
January 17th, 2017, 21:40
You probably have to use (or somehow emulate) an old version of DirectX.

Deleted User
January 19th, 2017, 08:42
I had weird lag on 2 different computers, too. Can't remember how I fixed it on the first computer, but usually I can figure things out with some Google researching. Try that and see if you can find some leads. It might take time and effort but usually you can fix the issue and play a sweet game like Divine Divinity. :)

Drithius
January 19th, 2017, 08:48
Try installing old DirectX packages, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

you
August 11th, 2017, 19:19
I don't remember load time being bad at all for DD. Never cared for the graphics (too easy to miss stuff); even when it first came out. I remember writing two comments (via email) to Larian (this was around 2003). One was that the graphics were low resolution and wanted to know if there was a way to improve the resolution; the second was a bug. The next day (talk about fast turn around). I got a comment that the graphics couldn't be changed and a patch to fix the bug.

crpgnut
October 5th, 2017, 20:59
I'm late to the party, but do yourself a favor and run in Software mode. The game runs lightyears faster as the DX optimization was done by monkeys :)

I started playing it again on a very high end machine and it crawled till I switched.