PoE PoE Nexus Modding subsite

Pillars of Eternity
Thanks. I'm hoping some of the backer crap gets modded out.

So now, with the modding conversions, there's tons of portraits! Now we just need a save game editor, because there's no way I'm restarting my game just to get the picture I want! I'd love to be able to change it mid-game. :(

I saw that there was one available during the beta but it looks like it was taken down since it's no longer available...

I don't want to mod this early and have my first game experiences centered around modding and technical stuff as probably things get broken and require time when the game gets updated. If I could have an update surviving left and right sidebar instead of the bar at the bottom, I would be in... I mean, with 16:9 being the most widespread aspect ratio (I have 16:10), I don't understand why UI designers don't put UI to the left and/or right.

SUP_SUP.png

This UI mockup by Grotesque is what I would like to see implemented in the game (though I prefer portraits on the left side).

that IE mod fucks the npc/mobs name, they dont show anymore when hitting tab

That's likely my only problem with it; luckily, the author(s) is working on an update that will add that functionality back.

So...question. Will they ever be releasing a modding toolset with this game's assets so we can make our own areas/adventures?

So…question. Will they ever be releasing a modding toolset with this game's assets so we can make our own areas/adventures?
I dont know as Unity is not easy to mod, and you run into licensing issues.
Is the game mod-friendly?

JS: It’s not mod-unfriendly…

There are certain elements of it that I think are probably going to be easier to mod than others. Environments are probably going to be pretty tough to author on your own, because even for us they’re complicated, they’re time-consuming to build, they’re very hi-res, they involve a number of special passes and things.

Other things I think are friendlier to modification, but we’ll have to see.

AB: It depends…we’re still investigating how much…since we’re using Unity there’s a lot of things we need to work around for modability, but we want to do everything we can do for the mod community. We’ll be really open, if they have questions. It’s nice because with publishers a lot of times they don’t like us talking about the technology and ways of doing things, but people can ask us on the forums and we can answer them.

So it would be hard to make a new environment but easier, maybe, to do a quest line or…

AB: Or an item pack. Adjust the rules system a little bit.

JS: Some of that stuff we’re externalizing. Weapons, some of the racial modifiers, we’re putting them in separate things so some of that stuff will be easier to modify than others.
And here is more information about modding the game, and mods.
On Mods

JS: We don't have a lot of [mod] tools. We've tried to be very open with how our files are structured and how our file formats work. People have already been making mods in our backer forums and stuff like that, especially UI mods because holy ^$&^&#% everyone has a different opinion on how the UI should look. So people have done a lot of really cool mod work already. As much as we can support mods, we want to, but it is Unity so some aspects of it are black-boxed.

[Last time I talked to you, you said probably no new maps because it's really hard. Is that still true?]

JS: It is really hard. Maybe they'll be able to find a way to do it, but right now it's still a very difficult process even for us. I shouldn't say it's difficult for us, but it's a very time-consuming, multi-step process to get stuff in.

[How hard would it be for people to take the maps you've made, rip all the characters out, and put new stuff in?]

JS: Much easier. People inserting their own content will probably be a lot easier than someone creating something from scratch. Easy is relative, but I think they could do that. People have already messed with our conversation files and stuff like that. A lot of our conversations are just in XML format, so they're easy to open up and [imitates typing].

Thanks, Couch! :greengrin:

Ow, though...that really sucks. So no luck on having a super-easy mapmaking tool, as in D:OS. Hrm. :-/

New UI mod update up at the Nexus. It should address the item highlighting concerns as well as implementing other welcome features. Only one problem: Nexus is, as of right now, screwing up the file download.

Man, I didn't think Obsidian's game will need SkyUI...

Man, I didn't think Obsidian's game will need SkyUI…

It doesn't need anything, but modding the UI is like this obsession/trend lately. It seems that they feel that a modded UI will always be better than whatever the default UI is. :thinking:

It doesn't need anything, but modding the UI is like this obsession/trend lately. It seems that they feel that a modded UI will always be better than whatever the default UI is. :thinking:

Some people don't like the NPC portraits on the bottom of the screen. I hardly call that an obsession, more like a preference. Some people would like to shut off the engagement system altogether as it's a buggy mess at the current time. I hardly call that an obsession either.

Some people want to have options. Crazy stuff.

@Thrasher, this is a picture of my current UI; nothing radically different. I would have preferred the portraits along the side but the game only has one skill bar (not one instance for each NPC) so I opted to just leave it at the bottom + retexture + a couple repositions.

Thanks! I was hoping for more radical choices.

That's going to come later. The IE mod exist because Sensuki found another BB tester that could code stuff for him and what he wanted the most was removed anything that stopped him from playing the game as a RTS (that's how he played the IE games) and change the UI display because he look at the log all the time. It has basically been in the work for 6 months at this point.

Obsidian even took some of Bester work in the mod to use in the game itself, but not for the same thing (i.e. Bester coded something new to be able to move the UI around and Obsidian used that for something else).

Back
Top Bottom