Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition: Everything We Know @ PCGamesN

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
PCGamesN has an overview of everything they know about Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition.
If there’s one thing that won’t be Enhanced, it’s the background art
While character models are already improved by the shift to the Throne of Bhaal engine, the game’s famously ‘hand-painted’ environments - actually hand-rendered, and much better looking in the sequel - will remain much the same. Source files were stored on a separate drive during original development and, according to Oster, the only art assets left from the Baldur’s Gate series are a handful of 3D files for some of Throne of Bhaal’s monsters.
On a less wistful note, all of the original’s cinematics have been replaced with animated cinematics, directed by Overhaul’s Nat Jones. What’s more, we’re in for a brand new world map, drawn up to take new areas into account and slot them into the existing Sword Coast.
More information.

I'm not sure why anybody would have a problem with that. The background graphics were quite nice and gave the game a lot of its atmosphere.

I really liked the original map, going to be pissed if they changed the style too much.

I think they are confusing the concept between ''enhancement"and the new game =.= The reason we are all looking forward to play this game is because we loved the original. Don't try to change everything about the game.

The only thing I wish they could do is update the character and monster models. That would go a long way to making this feel upgraded.

Somebody better tell them 'Cloak" as in Cloak Wood is not spelled 'Cloack'. Hopefully the map shown in the piece is not the final one.

Somebody better tell them 'Cloak" as in Cloak Wood is not spelled 'Cloack'.
The map also has Nashkel spelled as Naskel, Peldvale as Pelvale and Firewine Bridge as Firewire Bridge. Plus, the fonts and icons are crap, there´s no space for some of the missing areas (but on the other hand the map comes with crapload of compasses), the bridge to Baldur´s Gate goes barely over the river, etc.
Some quality work :).

I registered just so that I could reply to this thread, to clear up some of the things mentioned in these comments.
The map being used in the article is NOT the official map.
It seems that the article is just using information they found at the official forums at baldursgate.com, and they erroneously used a username map from there.

Not very professional.

You can follow the discussion from the official boards on the preview here:
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/5498/bg-ee-preview-on-pcgamesn#latest

The "mugwort" character who posted this map on your forum also made a followup post when asked if this was to be the official map saying it is. Coriander's post saying they don't believe this map is being used is prefaced with an "AFAIK", so I'm taking their post as an uncertainty.

:(

The "mugwort" character who posted this map on your forum also made a followup post when asked if this was to be the official map saying it is. Coriander's post saying they don't believe this map is being used is prefaced with an "AFAIK", so I'm taking their post as an uncertainty.

:(

Well, Coriander is connected in some way to the development of the game, in what way I don't know, so I think it's save to assume he would have heard about it if this Mugworth mapmaker was on the level.
Also, the article on PCGamesN mentions subraces, which also seems to be wrong.

The full quote from Coriander on Baldur's gate forums:

"As far as I know, that's not a map we'll be using.
And subraces are something we want to look at, but will probably be post ship still."

It seems the article just mentions stuff they gleaned on the official forum and wrote the preview without any confirmation of facts from the developers.

That being said, the article shows screenshots which haven't been posted on the official site, and I haven't seen them before anywhere. Don't know where they got those…

I'm quite sure however, that Beamdog/Overhaul wouldn't include a map of such amateurish standard in their game, come on, the guy have numerous spelling errors and apparently loves compasses, since they're all over the map… Literally.. :)

How the hell did I miss this:
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/160645...nced_edition_needs_to_sell_200000_copies.html

So he is practically blackmailining - if you want to see BG3, buy this.

Well, I'm not buying. Sorry.

Don't worry I've got you covered I'm buying at least two copies.

Doesn't sound like blackmail at all. That's the nature of business, obviously it needs to be a success and they need to make enough money to fund a BG3. He was asked what it would take for that to happen and gave a number. Doesn't seem like an outrageous number either.

Also it doesn't guarantee a BG3 just that it would be taking in to consideration for development. According to the article anyway.

The nature of the business when? 20 years ago probably.

If he is able to deliver, means if the audience is happy, he can grab just any sum needed on Kickstarter for BG3. And 4.
But why would he take the responsibility? It's better to blame it on customers if sales fail.

The nature of the business when? 20 years ago probably.

If he is able to deliver, means if the audience is happy, he can grab just any sum needed on Kickstarter for BG3. And 4.
But why would he take the responsibility? It's better to blame it on customers if sales fail.

They don't own the rights to BG3 so they can't just start a kickstarter. We don't know the arrangement they have but it's common sense that if the enhanced editions do well then they have a better chance of making BG3.

do you really think they will get the green light on BG3 if the enhanced editions tank? The ability to get the rights to BG3 are probably tied to the success of the enhanced editions. (Speculation on my part)

It's easy to sit back with no knowledge or financial stake in the situation and say what they should be able to do.

As far as responsibility there's no responsibility to take until the enhanced editions are released. It will either tank or be a success and then they can take responsibility or credit that is due.

I for one am not basing my buying decision on BG3 at all. I want to play the enhanced editions and will buy them BG3 or not. So I don't feel blackmailed or responsible for anything.

Every day I'm amazed at the things people find to take offense to.

200k sounds about right. I've done my part and bought a copy. Really, if the implementation on iPad is good, I don't think 200k across all platforms is going to be an issue.

Well, I will most likely purchase BG:EE but they won't get anymore $ out of me since I don't want BG3 nor do I want BG2:EE :)

As long as it won't get an offline + boxed release, I won't buy it.

They don't own the rights to BG3 so they can't just start a kickstarter.
In the article there is no sentence:
"We need to sell 200K copies of BG:EE to buy the rights to BG3."

And the person interviewed there wasn't Peter Molyneux.

Of course it makes sense that if a game doesn't sell well enough its developer won't likely make more such games, but we need to judge according to what we have directly available to us not according to what we could ideally get. If BG:EE is not good enough then why would we want these guys to make a sequel? Unless we are driven by desperation or fanaticism in which case we are practically asking to be taken advantage of.

Back
Top Bottom