wizadry 8 on gog!!!!

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
I logged onto gog to check something and noticed that wizadry 8 is now on gog. If you haven't played this game it is GREAT. There is a 'mod' to speed up combat that I highly recommend.

The game it self is not very mod-able but there are a few total conversions; I cannot comment on them specifically as I've never tried them. Naturally the graphics are a bit dated but not bad - very passable. I totally loved the combat system in this game and was disappointed that after all these years nothing came even close to the general game play.

Will they ever get wizards and warriors for pc on GoG?

This is good news. Wiz 8 is the one CRPG I most wanted to see on GOG since it's otherwise very difficult to obtain a legal copy, and unlike Wiz 6 and 7 it was not even available as abandonware.

This is absolutely great news for people who have never played it. It's a phenomenal game.

I never cared for 7 (only played a short bit) but 8 grabbed me and was very sorry there was never a 9 (for 7 it is not so much story but gameplay).

Hopefully, a whole new wave of players will discover this gem of a game. Besides, it will give me an opportunity to delight the forums by dusting off my +4 Golden Cloak of The Wiz8 Guru again. ;)

Given the tremendous excitement from such news, a little typo is understandable. ;)

GOG's version is 1.2.4

I recall there was an "unofficial" 1.2.6 patch, but some googling around doesn't really clarify whether's needed.

There was also an opengl patch that fixes dark lines in the GUI, and was perhaps useful for running at non-default resolutions.

Anyone know if these are useful, or is the 1.2.4 patch good enough on modern computers?

Strange that they have 6-7-8, but not the first 5. Different publisher I guess.

Will they ever get wizards and warriors for pc on GoG?

Hope so. I would buy it again as I never had any luck getting it to work again.

Total conversion? I think I missed something.

GOG's version is 1.2.4

I recall there was an "unofficial" 1.2.6 patch, but some googling around doesn't really clarify whether's needed.

There was also an opengl patch that fixes dark lines in the GUI, and was perhaps useful for running at non-default resolutions.

Anyone know if these are useful, or is the 1.2.4 patch good enough on modern computers?
I'm completely unaware of a 1.2.6 patch. Technically, 1.2.4 was unofficial since the team put it out after they had already been mostly let go, so perhaps that's some of the confusion. That's still the version of choice, though.

The only mods I recommend are the wizfast utility for all users and Dodd the Slayer's content mod for Wiz8 vets wanting a new challenge from the game. There are a few others out there, but either I haven't tried them and can't hold an opinion or I did try them and wasn't impressed.

Technically, 1.2.4 was unofficial since the team put it out after they had already been mostly let go, so perhaps that's some of the confusion. That's still the version of choice, though.

I do have, however, a CD-version that has 1.2.4 on the discs ( ! ) .

Oh yeah, that version is formally available, but I'm pretty sure the team did that patch on their own time while Sir-Tech crumbled. It's possible my memory is off, though--it's been over a decade after all. I don't remember EB or Falcon paying anything for QA for the patch but they certainly incorporated it into later printings.

Ah, okay, thanks for that insight.

Wizardry 8 and patch 1.2.4 were made by Sir-Tech Canada - the developer studio. Nothing to do with Sir-Tech publishing.

Latest unofficial patch 1.2.6 was made by Russian fans. Here is the file

Changelog
Fixed roll over of stat figures if they are buffed over 128 points.

Bugfixes
Fixed disappearance of character portraits in portrait editing/selection screen after intense work with them.
Fixed incorrect colour of "Alchemist created..." messages during rest.
Fixed crash if the game is started with NPC-RFS.
Fixed rotation of the female dragon portrait.

GUI:
Small char portraits in the inventory screen face the same direction they do on the main screen.

Gameplay:
Max resistances upped to 200.

Misc:
Removed the ad screen on game exit.

This is awesome news. I haven't yet played through Wiz 6-8 despite them being find-able "unofficially" online before. I wanted to own the real deal before digging into them. Now I can!

Question is - should I definitely play them in sequence (6-7-8)? I realize that might take a long time given the rate I finish games at. But I've heard they play differently if you import your party from game to game.

Back
Top Bottom