Star Citizen - "Incompetence And Mismanagement On A Galactic Scale"

Shh…you'll bring out the defender squad once again. :shh:

Good thing Dart isn't around anymore.:p

No Dart sure, but then there's me.

That article is full of bullshit readers are to believe are genuine data sources. :)
If the article was written by Kotaku's Schrier who proved numerous times the validity of his sources I'd be defending the article. But this is anonymous research journalist wannabe.
No wonder Forbes doesn't allow user comments.

As it happens every few months some "Star Citizen disaster" article emerges somewhere. But hey, any clickbait earns $, who cares about it's quality.

Note that I don't defend/attack Star Citizen and it's (mis)management. Just sharing my opinion on the article.

Sorry my good man but the title is correct at least.

It's not fraud as Roberts really is working on a game but he's full of incompetence, and poor mismanagement. Just look at the money raised multiple times and how it's used.

I could of made twenty RPGs with this games budget.:p

RPGs sure, but you're forgetting that only the Squadron part is RPG.
The rest of the project (99% of it, the part I don't care about a single bit) is mmo.

What, squadron is a full-fledged rpg? Cool, thought it was going to be an immersive shoot-em-up :)

Pfft……RPG guess any game is nowadays.:lol:

As pushed forward by people who kept insisting that a RPG is about anything but roleplaying.

No ground for complaint, only whimsical behaviour.

Anyone tried this from here? Some of my mates played this last week or so, had to hold it together to prevent falling asleep lol.
Seems it takes "do nothing" to extreme.

I've not tried it, I'm hoping to see the single player version emerge and be done with patching/updates hopefully within the next fifteen years.

Star Citizen has the most open development I've ever experienced - and that means there's ample opportunity for anyone to make up their own mind based on sufficient information.

But most people don't do that - they make up their minds first - and then cherry pick whatever serves their agenda, whilst completely ignoring or outright dismissing any information that goes counter to that agenda.

Which is fine with me, I just like to point out when stuff is clearly not factual or based on misinformation.

It took me a year to even pledge for it, for instance. I don't back many projects - and I don't often go around saying games are likely to be fantastic before release - just because I'm excited. I'm too old and jaded for that. When I make such bold statements, I base my opinion on research and closely following the development - as well as the consistency of what's being said - and what's happening.

Sometimes, games aren't as good as I want them to be - and, very rarely, they're nothing like what they were supposed to be.

But that's under normal circumstances when I don't have access to following a completely open development process before my eyes on a daily or weekly basis.

In this case, I have that - as well as what I know about the people behind the project, and that's quite a bit of information.

You really don't have to be a genius to figure out when something is on the level.

So, to me, anyone who honestly believes this is a scam or some kind of money-for-the-sake-of-money enterprise - is either ill-informed about the project - or emotionally invested against it, which will skew any factual information.

These hate-based anti-SC articles are a dime a dozen. Most of the gaming press just don't know any better - and they want their clicks. Sad, but that's the gist of it.

;)

Funny as you posted hate-based anti-SC articles & Reddit controversies before.

Your debates with Dart are legendary in that thread.

Funny as you posted hate-based anti-SC articles & Reddit controversies before.

Your debates with Dart are legendary in that thread.

The most impressive part of Star Citizen - to me - isn't really about polycount or texture resolution. It's about an uncompromising vision where CR and his team are pushing every single aspect of the game to the limit and beyond.

The amount of things that have to work together to make it not explode is beyond staggering.

Some of the most impressive things are already in the alpha, to some extent - but one of the most vital tests will be the first time I see multiple of the largest capital ships together - on screen - with dozens of people both inside and outside of them - as well as several ships docked and flying around, when orbiting a large planet.

To make that work is just so incredibly challenging - and I don't think very many people truly understand the achievement it would be to have the game perform reasonably at the same time.

We're talking absolutely beyond anything we would ever have seen with a publisher funding the project - at least for the next few decades.

We would have to wait for one bold developer after the other, pushing for tiny steps towards something like that for years and years.

It's not at all unrealistic to suggest that Star Citizen will push gaming several decades forward in terms of technology and game design.

Well, if they actually release it some day :)

Anyone tried this from here? Some of my mates played this last week or so, had to hold it together to prevent falling asleep lol.
Seems it takes "do nothing" to extreme.

I thought you were all betatesting SCUM.

The most impressive part of Star Citizen - to me - isn't really about polycount or texture resolution. It's about an uncompromising vision where CR and his team are pushing every single aspect of the game to the limit and beyond.

The amount of things that have to work together to make it not explode is beyond staggering.

Some of the most impressive things are already in the alpha, to some extent - but one of the most vital tests will be the first time I see multiple of the largest capital ships together - on screen - with dozens of people both inside and outside of them - as well as several ships docked and flying around, when orbiting a large planet.

To make that work is just so incredibly challenging - and I don't think very many people truly understand the achievement it would be to have the game perform reasonably at the same time.

We're talking absolutely beyond anything we would ever have seen with a publisher funding the project - at least for the next few decades.

We would have to wait for one bold developer after the other, pushing for tiny steps towards something like that for years and years.

It's not at all unrealistic to suggest that Star Citizen will push gaming several decades forward in terms of technology and game design.

Well, if they actually release it some day :)

No Man's Sky pushed procedural generation to a scope and extent we've never seen before..that hardly makes it a good game or some gargantuan leap for gaming.
Is Star Citizen pushing the boundaries on some aspects, like streaming tech, ship design, etc…Yes.
But calling it a "decades leap forward" and "the most ambitious in every aspect" is absolutely, completely absurd. ( Roberts has a tendency to give these bombastic statements to rile up his fanbase…"SC will have the level of cinematography and characterization that Last of Us II and GoW won't come close'!!!)
Far more likely end result will be, for most people ( non fanatic supporters included), a hollow product impressive on some technical aspects, but as a whole unenjoyable and unrefined.
Hell, just for this amount of money they could've made 5 AAA games, of better quality than anything they've done so far.
Perfectionism isn't exactly the best quality in game design, espec on large scale project like this…it's far better having a leader with a clear head who knows what he needs to prioritize, in line with budget/timeframe.
It's like building the best Pc…you'll never get anything made, if constantly chasing the best tech. There is always something better around the corner.

No Man's Sky pushed procedural generation to a scope and extent we've never seen before..
No, that part we already saw in Spore.
What NMS succeeded was making it less boring than the one in Spore.

NMS however failed on some other fronts.
The most important one? User interface. Abyssmal.

NMS however failed on some other fronts.
The most important one? User interface. Abyssmal.

I agree, that is the main issue that remains with NMS. They changed alot of stuff over time, including some bits and pieces of the interface. But it's still pretty hard to deal with. At the moment, that's what puts me off against jumping back into it. I mean... I jumped just recently but I bounced right back. ;)

Back
Top Bottom