Cube World - News Roundup

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I have rounded up various links for the alpha released Cube World. It's a voxel-based exploration RPG being developed by one man. Here is the webpage.

Up first we have an Alpha review from Entertainment Buddha giving the game a 8/10.

The Awesome: Pets, Weapon customization, Beautiful yet simple scenery, Scale of the map The Not so Awesome: Limited crafting options, No tutorials for game mechanics, Hard for newcomers

Cube world is a paid alpha that contains a lot of game for such early development and speaks volumes for this type of business model, especially after recent problems with Kickstarter projects. It’s relatively cheap and incredibly fun in multiplayer; though expect to have a few rough first hours getting your bearings in the game.
Up next we have two previews.

JumptoGamer

On the surface, Cube World is a very simple game, but under the hood it is a complex and feature rich experience, one which I would recommend to any gamer, no matter what your preferred Genre is.

If you are interested in Cube World still, but unsure whether to take the leap of faith and buy it, I can only suggest watching some YouTube videos and checking out the feature list and what is planned on the website.
GamerChatter

Cube World while very similar in looks to Minecraft, that and the levels being procedurally generated, is where the similarities end. Cube World is more about combat. You able to select for four different classes: Warrior, Rogue, Mage and Ranger. After the character creation, you are free to do whatever you please. Though most enemies will cut you down pretty fast when you start out. One thing I haven’t been able to try out yet is co-op which could make the game much easier.
And finally we have an impression article from Games.on.net.

Cube World is stupidly gorgeous and the voxel graphics look just amazing, especially as you explore different biomes and watch the sun rise and set, or as you scamper through a cave with your lantern out. But there’s just no instruction at the moment on what to do or how to do it, and the game’s mechanics (again, in this alpha state) just boil down to “let’s go and murder these adorable animals together”.

As the game keeps updating and new features are added, Cube World will eventually shape itself into something very special. It’s got a lot of promise and it’s a heap of fun to play, but without another person around it quickly becomes very clearly shallow. If you haven’t got a friend who would be keen to pixelate out with you, it might be worth leaving it for a while.
More information.

Last edited:
No word on DDoS attacks? Strange… I won't hire those guys ever again! ;)

Anyway, this quote sums it perfectly: "cheap and incredibly fun in multiplayer". Who knows, maybe this is the next step in MMO.

This game looks pretty sexy (watching yogscast play thru day 1 on youtube). It's what minecraft could look like if it was written in a programming language suitable for game development. :p

I also would love to see more games like this, where you can co-op an MMO or Skyrim type game hosting your own server, minecraft style (except I could give a crap about modding, even though obviously many love that).

IMO, TESO is going to be trash. What would've been 100x more awesome would be to lay a skyrim-like game with just your friends on your own hosted world - having your own persistent world for just you and your friends, without the endless sea of morons that seem to plague every MMO these days.

Anyways. Looks like I have to talk my minecraft crew into buying in to the cube world alpha.

Bought it, got my brother to buy it (we've played tons of co-op MC ourselves and with other friends), we're loving it thus far. The game looks amazing, plays ultra smooth, no problems at all running both server and client and hosting a game, zero DCs for either, no noticeable bugs, and some simply stunning stuff to encounter (for this kind of game).

For an alpha it feels very complete and amazingly stable and smooth and the quality level is insane for a 2 person team.

I can't really bash Minecraft because I love it, but Cube World takes many elements common between them to another level in a BIG way that makes those elements look very primitive in MC. The graphics and smoothness and solid feel in particular. The grandness and complexity is another huge way.

There are some things I'd either like to be different or be configuration options.
- world is TOO HUGE for my tastes. The cities look amazing but they're huge with a lot of filler buildings
- I love to explore, gather, see the cool randomly generated land, but the distances between town and landmarks (castles, dungeons, "quest" type locations) is ridiculously huge

The problem with both of these is that I don't like time sink or wasting time, and while exploring and tooling around is fun, I'd rather do it because I want to, not because it literally takes 30 minutes to run from town to dungeon (assuming you don't get sidetracked dozens of times along the way). For some this probably isn't an issue. Which is why I say make it a config option for map generation. The towns could be half as big and still be ridiculously huge. The distances between towns and/or town to significant landmark could be halved and would still be huge.

- mouse wheel scrolling needs to be enabled for scrollable windows in the game, like shop keepers, or insanity is a sure bet

- pet leveling is kind of wonky

- camera gets a little out of control when you go into buildings or tight spaces sometimes, which you can deal with by sliding your perspective (mousewheel smoothly switches you between 1st person and any degree of 3rd person you want to the max view distance, and the 3rd person is excellent), but the camera should auto adjust when your view gets obscured

If you're interested I'd recommend youtubing some of the yogscast videos. They're funny and the people who do them can actually speak coherently - as in, complete sentences and ideas without drooling on themselves or saying "uh" "um" etc repeatedly in every sentence. I swear that 9/10 of people who make videos should not. But it does make the people who do them well look so much better.

I totally agree....what a cool little game...more fun then you would think.

Back
Top Bottom