Risen - Bestiary Update: Ashbeasts

I hope it'll be as scary as the shadowbeast.

I guess it will be, only it looks faster than a shadowbeast to me ;)

Funny, I was just thinking if that is indeed the "new Shadowbeast". I wonder. Hm, but I'm getting the impression that this monster will be pretty widespread, so perhaps not. Next candidate, please! ;)

Anyways, it looks good. I wonder if it tastes good as well. *prepares fire*

Looks like a blind gorilla. Which is not to say that blind gorillas aren't cool.

more than blind - deaf and without some kind of nose, which is often worse than blind for a beast. unless it's got organs stuffed elsewhere, that is in its butt.

it's funny how all devs try to take real beasties emulation as a background for their fancy versions, yet they never manage to make something that would visually differ from their originals to a point that one would say they created a new monster: trolls in oblivion were for instance nothing else than plain gorillas painted green.

now these partially obliterated apes again.

remains to be seen if they're gonna run like in the 1st risen trailer or just stand put and growl as their only way of expression.
________
Group Sex Cam

Last edited:
Generally, I still prefer Shadowbeasts. It's basically a "rhino panther" - as stealthy as a panther, but as big and strong as a rhino. I don't think any animal in any game will ever make me as careful in the forest at night as Shadowbeasts: After my first encounter, I was saving every 5 meters to ensure I wouldn't get mauled by another one.

^^ That's true. They are trying to have scary, weird, and most importantly, original beasts in Risen, but imo you don't get much more scary, weird, and original than the Shadowbeasts and Bloodhounds of Gothic.

So long as it can kick my a$$ in one hit early in teh game if I'm not careful like the shadowbeast near the Orc in G2 I'll be happy ... ;)

Not the Bloodhounds, I was just rid of my nightmares :p

Yeah, my first encounter with a Bloodhound resulted in death without it even laying a claw on me. I was up near a cliff edge when it ambushed me from inside a cave. Scared me so bad I ran straight off the cliff and died from the fall! :rotfl:

Oh yeah, and orcdogs, they would just walk slowly in your direction, as if they knew they would get you eventually - they were pretty scary too. My personal favourites were Shadowbeasts and Minecrawlers, though.

Let's hope that Risen will have some scary-as-hell monsters as well!

@Jabberwocky
Hehe yeah, the Bloodhound in a cave near the New Camp (run up the road to the left of the New Camp entrance). Made me jump in my seat when I first entered.

@Krzychu
Always hated the orc dogs. For some reason they're almost impossible to hit, as they tend to "block/parry" nearly all attacks. I actually hope we won't see any orc dogs or similar creatures in Risen, but Minecrawler-ish creatures are great. They were fairly scary when I first entered the dark cave in the new mine (to get secretion).

I can't recall what it was like to fight orcdogs, but I know I found them frightening. I remeber the first time I accidentally ventured at night into orc territory, and suddenly saw several orcdogs following me - I ran back to the guards, naively thinking that they will stop the beasts. I was quite surprised when the orcdogs won (and ate me afterwards :p ).

Minecrawlers - oh yeah, exactly, man! When we opened that gate and entered the cave I really felt like I was going straight to hell or something. In that complete darkness the light spell barely worked, and I could hear them hissing all around me. How *cool* that was!

Oh yeah - first time you slayed a shadowbeast it felt like a real achievement.

These stories remind me of a thread a long long time ago that was started at rpgdot. It was asking everyone to relate funny death experiences in the Gothic games. Oh man, there were some hilarious ones!

These stories remind me of a thread a long long time ago that was started at rpgdot. It was asking everyone to relate funny death experiences in the Gothic games. Oh man, there were some hilarious ones!

Most likely you feel that way is because of the people who responded here are the same people from RPGdot ;)

At any case, I never understood the complaining about the instant deaths when you ventured the woods with a low level character. When you talk to the people in Gothic 1 they warn you NOT to do that. It felt rewarding when you could slay that wretched scavenger for the first time. (not the juvenile, but the others before the old camp - where the hunters of the New Camp awaite you)

Back
Top Bottom