Geneforge - Closed Beta Early January

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
An update for Geneforge 1 - Mutagen announces a closed beta for early January and a probable February release.

Geneforge 1 - Mutagen December Update!

Spiderweb SoftwareCreator

Geneforge 1 - Mutagen is done!

We have completed the game, for both Macintosh and Windows. We are giving both versions preliminary beta-testing to make sure they are basically stable. The closed beta for Kickstarter backers will then begin in early January. A late February release is looking very likely. Preparing a game for release on Steam and other platforms is a long and complicated process, but we have left ourselves plenty of time. (The iPad port will happen after the Windows and Mac release.)

The challenge right now is the final balance testing. Geneforge 1 - Mutagen gives a ton of customization options, and we try to make sure none of them are useless or overpowered. For example, you can make 20 different creations to fight for you. Each creation can be trained with two bonus attacks and two bonus passive abilities. This makes for an enormous combination of options.

We don't mind if you find a build that is wildly powerful (go for it!), but we do want to understand what is possible, and we need to make sure it works as intended. You will be able to come up with all sorts of armies of monsters, and they'll be able to do some pretty crazy stuff.

Notes For Backers

If you are entitled to join the closed beta, watch for a message from us, addressed to your backer email in early January. We're looking forward to hearing your opinions!

Getting close to release is stressful and exciting. We hope people like the game (and buy it so we can stay in business), and we're looking forward to it being done. Happy holidays, and you'll hear from us next month!

- Jeff Vogel
More information.

This is wishlisted for me. I kind of have a weird desire to go and play the other Geneforge games again, though I would love to see the rest of them remastered as well.

Indeed, I'm looking forward to this one as well. I won't be testing or playing it early, but when it's fully done and ready, I'll likely be there on week one.

I think they are generally decent games but the look just never changes. I am not a graphics person as I still play Underrail and similar games but man these just don't look appealing to me anymore after playing a few.

Can't deny every remake is the same but I cant stop myself from playing them. At this point he will never upgrade to a modern game engine like Unity. It's a pipe dream.

Hear-hear! :D The best about this game is that Spiderweb usually finishes a game after the v1.02 patch. So I'll buy then! :D

I’m pretty critical of Vogel and his rehashing, but geneforge really is quite unique and doesn’t play at all like his other games. It’s definitely worth a look. The sequels suffer from the usual spiderweb problems of just recreating the same game, maybe even more so than his other properties. But the original game was really something special.

I'm an unabashed absolute fanatic about Vogel and Spiderweb, have loved them for a quarter century so far and it's only getting deeper and more pleasurable. Tis nice to actually have a game that you can play day one/week one and NOT have to dread crashes, bugs, or other hang-ups!

As for those that whing about how it looks, I suggest a bit more gratitude, and a whole less attitude.

Back
Top Bottom