Age of Conan - Reaches 400K Accounts

Asbjoern

N'wah
Age of Conan has become one of the fastest selling PC games of all time. Over 400.000 players have activated an account since release, though Funcom will not be reporting subscriber numbers on a regular basis, for marketing reasons. Funcom's initial server capacity is able to handle 600k-700k players and the stock market has responded sligthly negative as seen in this Google translated Norwegian article. This is not necessarily an indication of disappointment and Funcom's CFO Olav Sandnes is translated in the Norwegian article for saying: "This is a number (400k players) we are well satisfied with."
Durham, USA – May 26th, 2008 – Funcom is proud to announce that Age of Conan is one of the fastest selling PC games of all time. More than 400.000 gamers have entered Hyboria over the last few days, with almost half coming from the North American market. This amazing figure for a PC game shows that the positive pre-order trend has transferred into actual sales, and people from all over the world are now flocking to the most savage, sexy and brutal MMO ever created.
Over the weekend an astounding amount of concurrent gamers were logged on to the game, making Age of Conan one of the busiest MMOs in the western hemisphere. With stock flying out of several retail chains, Funcom expects the number to increase in the days to come. In addition to the many gamers logging in, there was also substantial traffic to the Age of Conan websites, with more than 2,2 million unique visitors during the last ten days.
As a result of the great launch, players and press have been raving about the unique qualities of the game, and the first 20 reviews give Age of Conan an average score above 90%. The first US reviews are also live, with Gamezone.com giving the game an Editor’s Choice Award, a 9.4 of 10 score, while heralding Age of Conan as a “Benchmark MMO”. Sci-Fi.com was also an early mover and gave the game a straight A, stating that “If Robert E. Howard had been a game designer..., this is the Conan he would have invented.”
“The initial sales and reviews are very encouraging, and it’s great to see that so many are enjoying Age of Conan,” said Funcom CEO Trond Arne Aas. “This is just the beginning, and we already look forward to massive updates and cool new features. We believe our focus on making Conan unique and groundbreaking is a key reason for the initial success. This is a focus we will keep and reinforce, and players can expect continued quality and innovation as we enter a new era for the game.”
For more information about the game, please visit www.ageofconan.com.
More information.

"... and people from all over the world are now flocking to the most savage, sexy and brutal MMO ever created." So they are flocking now? Funcom sure can be humorous when they want to, or don't intend to.

Last edited:
The game is selling pretty well. Just last week people were allready complaining about shortages atleast here. The CE was sold out weeks ago allthough you can still find som from stores.

Well, I haven't received my copy yet. I had it pre-ordered but I got a mail from the store telling me they couldn't supply the copy I had pre-ordered. So I've ordered it from another shop (The biggest games webshop in Denmark), but they don't have any copies in stock either. They are supposed to get some today though.

Having 400K accounts less than a week into the game is a sign of only one thing: a successful marketing campaign.

Of course, it's relatively easy enough to whip up frenzy, especially when the words violence, sex and MMO are used in the same sentence. For many, as WOW fatigue is setting in and they'll try anything to rejuvenate their affections for the genre.

It'll be interesting to see how persistent the user base is and what kind of stable subscription numbers FunCom can report in 6 months.

Let's talk subscription numbers when the release fervor has settled.

Back
Top Bottom