Alpha Protocol - v1.1 Patch Released

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Posters on Obsidian's Alpha Protocol forums have spotted a v1.1 patch at Sega. There are no patch notes, no readme and Sega hasn't even bothered with an installation script: it seems you download a new .exe and manually copy it over to the correct location. Here's Sega's entire post:
We’ve recently released a patch for Alpha Protocol PC that addresses issues with installation, activation and some other minor technical problems. Below are the simple steps to install the update.

1) Got to:
http://help.sega.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=262&nav=0,1

2) Download the new APGame.exe

3) Open Alpha Protocol’s binaries folder. The default location is C:\Program Files\SEGA\Alpha Protocol\Binaries, though various download retailers often change the default layout to be under their own folder.

4) Replace the APGame.exe in the binaries folder with the new APGame.exe you downloaded.
More information.

I just tested it and it doesn't work on the UK version in Vista, the game won't launch anymore. Thankfully, I'd already backed up the exe since I was wary of installing a patch with no indication of what it actually does.

Yep. Another failure to load here. Win7 x64 using Steam version with NVidia GTS 250. After debugging it briefl, looks like problem while loading PhysX. Changing PhysX emulation from hardware to software does nothing. Looks like a patch to stay away from and wait for v1.2 especially since the details of what is fixed is non-existent.

Somebody wrote on Obsidians forums that the "patch" gave them a no disk error after applying it. I'd probably wait before overwriting your old .exe
Don't worry about the no disk error, it's due to daemon tools (specifically it being turned off) and can be fixed by inserting the disk or restarting DT.

Far more important is that it just plain doesn't work, ie the Dr Watson's part ("Apgame.exe has encountered a fatal error. Do you want to tell MS about it?").

Patch doesn't work? Quality assurance at works, otoh who would want to replay this game anyway so no big loss.

Wow… this isn't going to help AP's already poor reputation.

Plus it damages the reputation of Sega.

But publishers are so powerful nowadays, they can do everything regardless.

The "Black Peter" (in card games a card no-one wants to have at all, because he is kind of a "negative joker") is given by/from them towards the developers, usually, I fear.

No patch notes, breaks game, wow, it sure is a helpful patch.

I'd like to add that I think AP was pretty polished for a Obsidian game, I don't remember any particular bugs.

No patch notes, breaks game, wow, it sure is a helpful patch.

I'd like to add that I think AP was pretty polished for a Obsidian game, I don't remember any particular bugs.

Yup. I played it twice and didn't hit any problems. Very unusual for a game nowadays.

I've heard that said but never seen a source. What I recall Obsidian saying was they wanted to patch early and often but Sega wanted to wait and see, collecting everything into one potential patch.

There was an interview with one of the Obsidian devs who said so, I believe. It was referenced on the Codex.

I have that mouse stuttering problem where the camera fliers around all over the place but I've gotten used to it. The inofficial fix for it didn't help. Also in the weapon mods ui everything gets thrown off place sometimes by about 40 pixels and I can't select weapons/mods. Exiting and entering the inventory screen fixes it temporarily. Other than that it's been a pretty smooth ride.

I agree. I enjoyed the game a whole lot.

I didn't. The controls were beyond useless for me and the enemy AI is beyond hopeless. Too bad too I had high hopes for this one.

Oh well, after reading The Walking Dead book 1 and 2 I have HUGE hopes for Dead State. After I got Books one and two in the mail I devoured those suckers in one night. Great writing, great setting, the zombies are part of the problem like an earthquake that never stops would be part of the problem, but the real juicy bits come from how you survive against humans when all they want to do is survive as well. If this game is anything like TWD I will be playing it for years to come. Now, if' you'll excuse me I have to order the rest of the books to catch up on the series for the Halloween premiere of The Walking Dead on AMC.

Ok I derailed enough. I just wanted to say that if these big boys can't get it done then maybe the indies can. They really should make an indie superhero or at least an indie super underdog for the comics. Kicking the ass of corporate in the name of good gaming.

… the enemy AI is beyond hopeless.

Has there ever been an RPG where the AI wasn't hopeless? I don't count the handful of pre-scripted badass wizard fights in BG 2. Its general AI really was hopeless.

That's pretty much comparing apples to oranges. Nevermind the fact that AI should be improved over something from 9 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom