Larian Studios - Seeking the Golden Path

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Lar has penned another blog entry about Larian, this time musing on the future of the studio as they seek to find a place in the competitive ad changing games market:
But what the journalist meant was of course how we were going to deal with the technology angle. He looks at those trailers and demos, sees visual delight, then looks at the games of smaller developers, and decides they are no match for what the big boys are showing.
Yet, there’s nothing I’ve seen technology wise in those videos that my team couldn’t pull off, provided they’d have access to the same budget. What’s impressive about those videos is how much work went into the content of those games. It’s really a matter of the amount of people the developers of said games put to the task, and in the cases quoted, its apparent there were a lot of people working on thisy. But, given the same budgets, it’s possible (and in my humble opinion even probable) that we could even do better that what’s on display. After all, there’s a lot of persistent rumors that there’s a lot of waste going on with those Canadian tax dollars.
So what our journalist then really meant was – what are you doing making games without having the same budgets these guys have?
More information.

I'm guessing we can forget, at least for this lifetime, the broader gaming world ever acknowledging gameplay as being more important than graphics. You would think a phenomenon like Minecraft might clue people in, but I guess not.

Back
Top Bottom