Gothic 4 - Interview @ Gothicz

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Gaspy let us know about a new interview on his site Gothicz.net with Jochen Hamma, a producer with Spellbound on Gothic 4. Given the very early state of the project, this is an informative read and well worth a look for Gothic fans. Let's take a quote on Spellbound's background to set the scene:
2. Tell me something about the beginnings of Spellbound and your past projects...
Spellbound was established in 1994 by Armin Gessert - a few months later, Jean-Marc Haessig joined the company. Both are still here and serve as CEO and Creative Director of Spellbound. In 1995 the company has started to cooperate with another developer (attic Entertainment Software GmbH) - working on an RPG game called Realms of Arkania - Shadows over Riva. At that time, I had been producer of the title at attic and that's how Armin and I met the first time. After Shadows over Riva, Spellbound has been involved in the creation of around 20 titles in a variety of different genres (RPG, Action, Strategy, Tactics, and Simulation). The most well known probably are Airline Tycoon, Robin Hood and their old western games like the Desperados series or it's most recent project Helldorado.
More information.

Well, there's not much to speculate on at this early stage. The biggest encouragement that I saw is that the producer already has a fondness for the Gothic series, and seems committed to keeping the style.

I've only played one Spellbound game personally - Robin Hood. It was entertaining, but a tough game, and I never finished.

Spellbound is in a difficult postion but he did a good job of saying they will respect the community, so that's a plus and it was a extensive interview with strait answers no questions being dodged.

The thing that was shocking to me was he mentioned the possiblity of using the Unreal engine, along with some others.
I have always thought would be amazing way to see Gothic World with the Unreal engine, though I had hope with PB's work.
The amazing skies, textures and *couch* Coop possiblities, would have served well. :)

it's good that they don't have any intentions of creating their own engine. we all know how gothic 3 turned....

less time used on the engine meaning more time used on making the game itself.

Back
Top Bottom