ES4: Oblivion - Main Quest Walkthrough @ GameBanshee

Strange, I thought Oblivion contained its own inbuilt walkthru!! :rolleyes:

Strange, I thought Oblivion contained its own inbuilt walkthru!! :rolleyes:

This time I don't know if I will even touch the main quest - certainly not close to the best part ...

Going back in eh? Me too - but not without OBSCURO!!! Did you install it? Do try.

I thought the main quest was just fine. Sure - repetitive but enough to keep going. I also like that island part quite a bit.

The closing of the gates made me stop playing - talk about boring repetition. But the main quest wasn't too bad.

Going back in eh? Me too - but not without OBSCURO!!! Did you install it? Do try.

I thought the main quest was just fine. Sure - repetitive but enough to keep going. I also like that island part quite a bit.

I was going to 'mod up', but decided to do a formal review of Knights of the Nine, so it is Plain Vanilla Oblivion once again for me ...

You have my deepest condolences; I find the vanilla unplayable!!

The main quest itself is actually decent, but it doesn't fit in the kind of game Oblivion is: "The demons are invading! You must save the world! .. Or, you can walk around and enjoy the view for as long as you want.. ". All in all I still think the main quest is a step up from Morrowind though.

MW had a main quest? After playing it for 100+ hours, I never really found it!! :)

You have my deepest condolences; I find the vanilla unplayable!!

Thing is - if I start stacking on mods to make the game play more like it would have if designed as a PC RPG, then I will have a hard time knowing where the added content is.

The game-as-shipped is certainly completely playable and works fine. Some people find it not to their tastes and for some weird reason feel they must tell everything that it is therefore unplayable, broken, etc. This anti-fanboyism puzzles me just as much as those who go the opposite and fanboy gloss over real flaws in games.

The beautiful thing about something like Oblivion is that people CAN tweak it to their liking as evidenced by all the mods out there. Compare this to Gothic3 where you are stuck with what they provide whether you like it or not.

The game-as-shipped is certainly completely playable and works fine. Some people find it not to their tastes and for some weird reason feel they must tell everything that it is therefore unplayable, broken, etc.

Corwin stipulated with 'I find' - so it is really just his opinion that he can't stand playing the game without modifications.

It is reasonable for PC gamers to pick at the obvious console roots, in my opinion - imagine if a game came out now that had a first-person action view that only allowed you to move with the arrow keys? It would get eviscerated. When you enter a PC game and go to configure the controls and are shows items about the 'right stick' and 'left stick' ... that is not good, and deserves criticism. Deus Ex Invisible War got nailed for having ini files with 'change this to 1 if on PC' left in there - which was a problem since those things were left at the XBOX settings when shipped. Oblivion gets extra attention since most of the gaming media are drooling all over the thing as the picture of perfection.

Isn't a walkthrough for Oblivion sort of an oxymoron? After all, I mean how much more help would ahm, certain types of people, need other than the 10 trillion popups, quest gps, fast travel, etc. ?

BillSeurer well I guess it good you are such a forgiving PC (console?) gamer.
Calling bad game design decisions bad is not anitfanboyism, not sure where your getting your analogy from since most people talk about specific issues.

Most of these issues are based in substandard console features which you seem perfectly happy with, unless I misunderstand you.
So honesty you seem like your really just making ad homein attacks since you haven't given examples.

If you are confortable with the giant menus, constant popup windows and the ablity to complete all quest and master all guilds at level 1, could you please let me know where you get this standard from, I mean what games have you been playing? :)

How is a walkthrough notable enough to be "in the news", unless it's perhaps the first one out? There are loads of great walkthroughs on GameFAQs, but they are never in the news. =\

BillSeurer well I guess it good you are such a forgiving PC (console?) gamer.

I love it when someone starts yelling "ad hominem attack!" (see below) just after making an ad hominem attack (see above). Calling a PC gamer a "console" gamer is like calling a conservative Republican a "liberal".

Calling bad game design decisions bad is not anitfanboyism, not sure where your getting your analogy from since most people talk about specific issues.

Face it, almost all of the attacks on Oblivion are basically "It sucks!" or "It's totally broken!" (some even prefaced with "I think ...") without giving any details other than personal preference. I prefer some things in Oblivion otherwise but I don't think the game is broken because of that.

Most of these issues are based in substandard console features which you seem perfectly happy with, unless I misunderstand you.
So honesty you seem like your really just making ad homein attacks since you haven't given examples.

How am I to give examples? You ( I assume) are the one claiming that Oblivion is bad/broken/crap/whatever.

If you are confortable with the giant menus, constant popup windows and the ablity to complete all quest and master all guilds at level 1, could you please let me know where you get this standard from, I mean what games have you been playing? :)

Wow. So the font size they choose makes the game broken? And what constant popup windows are so bugging to you and compared to what? So what if you can complete everything at level 1, you can probably do that in Gothic 3 too (someone claimed to have killed all the orcs without levelling IIRC) and it doesn't even scale encounters. It was a reasonable design decision they made to scale encounters and if you don't like it you can load a mod to "fix" it.

There's a standard for CRPGs? Please, do tell.

Sheesh. Do I have to show my PC Gamer Union Card to participate without having my credentials called into question? I have played almost every major (and many minor) CRPG that has come out since 1982 when I bought my first PC and played some before that on Apples.

Hey, let's not get into any flame wars here. We can agree to disagree on some issues. As I've said many times, once modded to get rid of things which annoy ME, (mainly the console leftovers), I enjoyed the game for what it was, but quickly grew bored with it. I have never said it was broken, just unplayable in its original state as I couldn't stand the font, controls, etc, etc which have already been mentioned. If it's an rpg at all (different debate), it's an rpg SUPER-lite!!

Hahaha, well, yes, that's the only flame wars I enjoy too!! :biggrin:

Hey, aren't there plans to recreate Morrowind with the Oblivion CS? That would be cool, i think...

Back
Top Bottom