RPGWatch - New Poll

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Well, it's way past time for a new poll.
BioWare has positioned Dragon Age as a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate but it's been a long time since they've made that style of game. In the meantime, the game has gone from PC only to a simultaneous multiplatform release and we've seen a controversial marketing campaign featuring Marilyn Manson.

Obviously technology has changed and it isn't based on D&D but do you expect Dragon Age to live up to the claim? Hit the link on the right to vote.
More information.

There's something about those Infinity Engine games... I want to call it a 'folksy charm', but that's not quite right.

It's the amazing painted backgrounds. The vastly overlooked ambient sounds that are still unmatched, in my opinion. The simultaneously intimate and epic musical scores. (I'm looking at you, Jeremy Soule.) The timeless voice-over characterizations.

Hell, it's the Forgotten Realms. I know a lot of people dislike the setting now, but there's a depth of background there that I just love. It's the Marvel Universe of fantasy settings, and it helped a lot in making the IE games what they were. I love a world that has characters as rich as, say, Jarlaxle or Artemis Entreri.

Bioware has long since stopped making games that resemble the kind I want to play. I've played KoToR and Mass Effect to completion; I think Bioware makes very good interactive action/adventure movies, but the trend from Baldur's Gate to KoToR to Mass Effect is moving directly away from what I'm personally hoping for....

Dragon Age will have great presentation. It will be big, and loud, and filled with many explosions. There will be some interactivity, even.

But I wonder if there will be any moments where it's just me and my party, in a quite run-down inn, with low light and soft sounds in the air... moments where I can truly fall into the game and lose myself on a rainy, cold night.

I don't have much hope. I hear this game is the new shit.

peace

you're right, it probably is.

making rubbish for the (m)asses means buckets of money.

why would they finely tune their ambient sounds, if the rabble nowadays is begging for white noise. possibly in 5.1 (like they could tell the difference). :S
________
Lovely Wendie

Last edited:
I don't expect it to live up to BG, but I certainly expect more than Wolfenstein delivered.

I don't expect it to live up to BG, but I certainly expect more than Wolfenstein delivered.

I don't really see a connection there, but I agree about Wolfenstein being a disappointment.

@Dyspaire, I felt the exact same way about the IE games, shame there wasn't more of them.

To be honest, I have problems with seeing the point of this poll. The game isn't released and it really doesn't matter what we expect.

I have no particular expectations for it, and since there isn't any option for that view, I can't participate in the poll.

Of course it doesn't matter - what poll does? ;) The point is purely entertainment in observing and discussing.

You're right, of course. I'm not quite sure why I wrote the above post - I was/am probably annoyed by something completely different.

Sorry.

*bangs had repeatedly against monitor".

Back
Top Bottom