RPGamer - Best of 2013

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGamer have made their list of the best RPG's in 2013 known. There is a total of 19 categories and somewhat console oriented. The best RPG is Fire Emblem.

After reading this all I can say is: Where the hell is ours?!?

More information.

Never heard of it.

Couchpotato has a game ?
No I don't just a few mods in my past that's it.;)

As for the news-bit I'm glad Mars: War Logs was given the most overlooked award. I enjoyed the game, and look forward to their next game Bound By Flame.
Spiders' Mars: War Logs' lack of limelight stems from perhaps not trying to be the epic experience of other RPGs, and also arguably a bit from the past offerings of its development studio. Previous RPGs such as Game of Thrones and Of Orcs and Men granted it a reputation for some neat ideas but insubstantial experience perhaps caused them to lack a bit in content and execution. Mars: War Logs admittedly doesn't do anything particularly mind-blowing, but this out time Spiders gives RPGamers a solid and entertaining experience throughout and shows a marked step-up in the final product.

Mars: War Logs helps itself by never trying to do too much, and keeping things focused on its fairly tight but intriguing setting. This is coupled with another good European case of offering choice without veering wildly down obvious moral paths. The gameplay is fun, never being over bearing, supported by solid customisation and levelling options. For those tired of RPGs perhaps trying to bite off too much or losing focus, or just those looking for another interesting experience to while away some time, Mars: War Logs is well deserving of a look, much more so than it has been given credit for.

Dragon Age III Inquisition on place two of most wanted... huh. Well, everybody's entitled to have an opinion nowadays.

There's no Best PC RPG category?

Nope... Although I can kind of understand this because there really weren't many RPGs released on PC in 2013 (that weren't also on consoles). Shadowrun Returns and Expeditions: Conquistadors, and Legends of Dawn are the only 3 that come to mind. Unless they counted games in early access, which they really shouldn't.

I didn't bother with the whole thing since I've never heard of the game they put as GOTY, but now I see that Blood Knights is called there as a worst RPG of the year.
IMO that is the worst game of the year, not just worst RPG. In one of my previous posts you may read that I've uninstalled that insult almost instantly.

Most wanted are South Park, DA3 and TW3. The order is questionable, but I can believe that list assuming they've never heard of Kickstarter and related to that Wasteland 2 or Eternity.
I'm not complaining in case someone thinks I am! Better to eagerly wait for next ubi singleplayer game then some rotten and overpriced MMO like, again ubi, The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot that charges you 100€ for beta access, p2w class included since such things are popular these days.

Best DLC they say is some for a game I don't have - Borderlands 2. And will never have. What's the point of that category anyway? If I want to buy 63565347532465 DLC I'll go buy complete Sims 3 or Train Simulator.

Best nonrpg is a game I do remember seen mentioned somewhere. But I don't think it was on Steam. Am I wrong?

And as I've said in the first post, I've never ever heard of their RPG of the year - Fire Emblem: Awakening. Wiki says it's Nintendo exclusive.
Guys, a game of the year is an exclusive? Tell me please, how can such thing beat games that are available on two or more platforms?

Remember 2012? On almost all sites all three RPG GOTY candidates (TES5, TW2 and DX:HR) were released on at least two platforms. What's the point of giving GOTY to a title if ppl can't play it? Oh, site editors can? Who cares for the rest.
That site is a joke.

And Meriwether and Xulima and Eldurim and Churbles and CS Heroine and Frontiers and Unrest and Sui Generis and... I've put just two as an example that got supported with millions, didn't want to discredit others, honestly.

Haven't played Fire Emblem but have heard great things about it, enough to make a 3DS tempting. The lists were very JRPG heavy which really isn't my thing but I've heard of most of the titles, was interesting to read some insights on them. I wouldn't call South Park my most anticipated but from the 3 that made their list it definitely is.

The only console RPG that I played last year was Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch on the PS3. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it didn't even get in the top 3. Instead it got the award for Best Graphics, but also got the award for Biggest Letdown, which I thought was not justified. It had some grinding and slower paced parts, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it.

My daughter got a 3DS for Christmas and also got the game Etrian Odyssey Untold: Millennium Girl. I was going to try that but it has one fatal flaw - just a single save slot. Until she finishes the game I can't play it without wiping out her game. Inexcusable in this day and age.

Too much JRPGS for my tastes, and Stick of Truth as the most wanted? Not to me
It will probably only appeal to those of us with a... refined taste. The same kind that's required to get one hyped up about the new WWE Network and the later Saints Row games.

Most wanted are South Park, DA3 and TW3. The order is questionable, but I can believe that list assuming they've never heard of Kickstarter and related to that Wasteland 2 or Eternity.

And as I've said in the first post, I've never ever heard of their RPG of the year - Fire Emblem: Awakening. Wiki says it's Nintendo exclusive.
Guys, a game of the year is an exclusive? Tell me please, how can such thing beat games that are available on two or more platforms?

To be fair, RPGamer is really more of a console-oriented gaming site. Occasionally they will talk about a PC game if it is a bigger title. But for the most part, they deal with Sony, Nintendo and Xbox. To that end, they are one of the better sites for console RPG news. Years ago I used to visit the site frequently.

Back
Top Bottom