Elex Elex I don't know....

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch
I'm a veteran of PB games but I don't know about this one. Berzerker city - hard to complete quests. Even in Gothic 3 they some indication of direction - aka behind the tree to the north. Here nothing. After 10 hours I'm still level 3. Rusty Axe. No armor and losing interest ranging for 10-50 XP. I have learning points that I can't apply because noone will train me as my supporting stats are too low. I can certainly keep going but I feel like I'm wasting my time and it is not fun. Damn rusty axe LOL

G7nXzdMh.jpg

Just my silly sense of humor. Not to worry.

I'm just anticipating a certain response to your criticisms.

I'm not bashing really. I'm a big PB fan. Loved the Gothic series. Risen etc. NOTR. I don't know why but this game is a real struggle for me to progress in. For example, the "murder mystery". The suspects are supposed to be "out in the forest". OK. North, South, East, West? I just finished the "gear" quest and I have no clue where I'm supposed to be.

I'm still waiting on a bit more patching, but, from what I've read, I suspect I'm also going to struggle with the painfully slow progression, and some of the clunkier design choices.

I'm not bashing really. I'm a big PB fan. Loved the Gothic series. Risen etc. NOTR. I don't know why but this game is a real struggle for me to progress in. For example, the "murder mystery". The suspects are supposed to be "out in the forest". OK. North, South, East, West? I just finished the "gear" quest and I have no clue where I'm supposed to be.
You could turn on the quest indicators if you're not sure where to go.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Open up your log for the quests and mark them. It will show you exactly where to go. First few lvls suck and you get crushed. Keep at it and you will become very powerful. Take a companion with you.

Use your jet pack to get stamina back and to use healing potions.

I think if you enjoyed their other games you will really start to enjoy Elex. I'm loving it now and it feels like a classic PB game.

Early game progression is very slow, I'll certainly attest to that. That kind of curve is appealing to some people, but I find it works against the game's favor. Progress just felt very slow. Around 14 or 15 hours, though, things really started to pick up. I was able to equip certain ranged weapons and start killing creatures on a pretty consistent basis.

The main problem is damage resistance that the starting enemies possess, and that's the real limiting factor. For example, you could have a Rusty Axe with a damage value of 20, and an enemy that has a damage resistance value of 19. But that Not-as-Rusty Axe you just picked up has a damage value of 25. Suddenly you're dealing 6 times the damage you were previously dishing out, even though the statistical damage increase from 20 to 25 seems minimal.

I think the best way to go about it is to stick to quests. Avoid what you can unless you are able to kill it with the bow (which is actually VERY helpful early on). Later on, you can start making Elex potions to start gaining more attribute points (and subsequently equip better weapons), but I found doing that made the game a bit too easy and I had to turn the difficulty up to max (or ultra, or whatever the highest one is) just to maintain some sort of challenge.

Believe me, once you get past that initial stage of avoiding everything and can equip a weapon around 35-40 damage, the game really picks up.

Oh, and a quick tip, once you are able to start exploring the Converter towers, make sure to jetpack to the top of them once you reach the outside platforms. Each of them have some very beneficial goodies at the top.

Weird to see a veteran of PB games struggling with it to be honest. But I guess just stick with it. At the 157 hour mark currently on Steam I think I like the game a little bit. :)

The progression is very slow and I love that about it. Eventually you gain great amounts of power, and small changes add up huge over the course of the game. A few points in armor or a well-placed Learning Point can make all the difference, and it's a difference you will feel the longer you play the game. The game rewards you for sticking with it and makes you work to get the rewards. I love it. :)

Quest markers help but I only turn them on for "logical" situations, i.e. an NPC says "this person is supposed to be at the ruins at the bottom of the lift", so I pretend they just mark that spot on the map (they know where the ruins are, after all.) But not sure what you mean when you say the game provides no direction. I'd say 90% of the quests I've found so far can be done fine without quest markers. The clues on where to go are often subtle (i.e. if someone mentions a person is stationed on the road between Xacor and Abessa, you might hear that in conversation and completely miss it, etc..)

That's another thing, pay attention when NPCs talk. There are clues, hints, subtle cues and more in the dialogue, the way they speak, tone of voice and more. If you sleepwalk through those parts you'll make mistakes. Same goes for your dialogue responses in quests. You have to carefully read between the lines.

And you have to pay attention when challenging enemies, too. Some enemies should just be avoided, but when you slowly increase your power (maybe a new weapon, a simple upgrade in the Ability tree, or a few grenades or spells you found, etc.), you can start slaughtering wildlife for fun, profit and advancement. :) And the game is balanced in a way in that the runts you are fighting now, giving you a measly 5 or 10 xp, well, by the time you are strong enough to kill decent enemies, they start giving 50+ xp. By the time you can kill rotboars you'll be giddy when each kill gives you 125 xp. So at the start you are discouraged from grinding on weak enemies and have to play the game they want you to, i.e. work to make friends (companion at first, faction later), make money to get better equipment and develop your Abilities before you can really tackle the hard combat in the game. Stick to quests because you need better equipment, skills and friends to survive in Magalan, as Duras explains to you at the start.

When exploring you always have to calculate your odds of success before attempting combat. Or, you can be like me, get the Friend of Beast skill and not have to worry about weaker enemies bothering you. :) It becomes very natural as you explore and get to know the enemy types in the game, which areas and enemies to avoid and so on. And survival skills can help you there, too.

Otherwise, yeah, it's a typical PB game, but taken to a very high level. It's really amazing stuff. Sort of like Gothic Super Advanced Edition. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom