Skyrim - v1.2 Update

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Bethsoft has posted on their blog about the Skyrim v1.2 update with the PS3 version already spotted and the PC due on Wednesday. The patch notes are fairly light - though there may be miscellaneous tweaks under the hood they haven't published - but PC interface fixes are included:
Today we’ve begun rolling out Skyrim’s 1.2 update for PlayStation 3. The update is already available for users in Europe and we will let you know as soon as it’s up in North America. Our current ETA for Xbox 360 and PC players is this Wednesday, November 30th.
So what does the new update cover? Details below…
UPDATE 1.2 NOTES (all platforms unless specified)
  • Improved occasional performance issues resulting from long term play (PlayStation 3)
  • Fixed issue where textures would not properly upgrade when installed to drive (Xbox 360)
  • Fixed crash on startup when audio is set to sample rate other than 44100Hz (PC)
  • Fixed issue where projectiles did not properly fade away
  • Fixed occasional issue where a guest would arrive to the player’s wedding dead
  • Dragon corpses now clean up properly
  • Fixed rare issue where dragons would not attack
  • Fixed rare NPC sleeping animation bug
  • Fixed rare issue with dead corpses being cleared up prematurely
  • Skeleton Key will now work properly if player has no lockpicks in their inventory
  • Fixed rare issue with renaming enchanted weapons and armor
  • Fixed rare issue with dragons not properly giving souls after death
  • ESC button can now be used to exit menus (PC)
  • Fixed occasional mouse sensitivity issues (PC)
  • General functionality fixes related to remapping buttons and controls (PC)
After releasing the 1.2 update, we will continue to monitor forums, blogs, etc. for issues you are reporting, and we will keep you updated on further updates to improve your gameplay experience.
More information.

It seems to be a very light patch, if these are the full patch notes. Perhaps they're waiting on testing on some of the other issues.

"Fixed rare issue where dragons would not attack"

....and here I was thinking the dragon not attacking just scaring people was a nice feature. Damn...

They will sometimes just swoop around and not attack. I don't think that's a bug, I think they eventually choose a different target. I love luring dragons neear to Giant/Mammoth territory. It's the easiest way to get Giant Toe ingredients :)

Not sure if they mean dragons never attacking anything, or dragons never attacking the player.

To date, I've never seen a dragon just fly around and then leave without attacking something.

fixed "rare" issue here, and "rare" issue there? How about fixing some common issues that people are spazzing out about, like the favorites/quick weapons not working properly and compatibility issues?

I'm really hoping that "General functionality fixes related to remapping buttons and controls" means and/or includes the major problems w/ dual wield and favorites. I cannot seem to keep my swords hotkeyed, every time I switch to my bow it comes unbound. Not too user friendly to have to be fumbling around in the inventory while getting pounded on in a fight!

fixed "rare" issue here, and "rare" issue there? How about fixing some common issues that people are spazzing out about,

Found that strange, too.

Perhaps they are holding that back for a bigger patch ? All-in-one-go ?

Why not just release the toolkit and let the modders take care of the bugs? It would be faster i'm sure.

This is great news. I wonder if it will fix the Louis Letrush cloning bug as well.

In my case, the only other bugs I experienced were persistent arrows / ice shards, occasional dragons not leaving souls, dragon skeletons sometimes behaving strangely after using fast travel and some keybinding problems. Looks like they included fixes for all of these.

This is great news. I wonder if it will fix the Louis Letrush cloning bug as well.
You saying it's not a case of corrupted save?!
Three clones of that person are surrounding the fourth one halfburried into the ground in my game!

2 weeks for an update that fixes irrelevant bugs (who cares if one of 100 spawned dragons didn't attack or you couldn't take it's soul) is a huge disappointment. For a PC player.
For PS3 players however, lag removal from the game is probably #1 priority. So in a way, the importance of the patch depends are you playing it on a console or on PC. Let's just hope the next patch will address those things many of us suffer from (how come they didn't fix the CTD area passable only by playing in windowed mode? that's probably not a rare bug).

I HAD a dragon spiralling endlessly over the Eastmarch area. Every time I came back he was there, as if tracking prey, but doing nothing but going around in circles. I edged into his/her range of sight, and it attacked foolishly. Problem solved. :)

You know, you'd think dragons would be smart enough to not circle endlessly, and to retreat and regroup. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Considering how short the game has been out I am pretty happy with getting some patch news. My favorites, PC biased of course:

ESC button can now be used to exit menus (PC)
Fixed occasional mouse sensitivity issues (PC)
General functionality fixes related to remapping buttons and controls (PC)

Considering how short the game has been out I am pretty happy with getting some patch news. My favorites, PC biased of course:

ESC button can now be used to exit menus (PC)
Fixed occasional mouse sensitivity issues (PC)
General functionality fixes related to remapping buttons and controls (PC)

Yes, I certainly sympathize with anyone who is experiencing CTD issues, but judging by the description it looks like they nailed it with this patch to fix about every single issue that popped up for me.

I'm confused. i know that the LAA patch stoped working because of the Steam patch changing the skyrim executable, but i am using another way to use up 4gb and i stoped having CTD with this little mod.

People are aware it exists? they tried it on ? i'm using on the steam version (with oficial exe ofc), and works like a charm:

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013

Are people still whining about that? Where were you when the same workaround was needed for FO:NV?

Hey now as far as whining goes this site and this forum are bastions of reasoned discourse compared to the official bethsoft forums. Most of the people on this site do seem to comprehend at least that while their particularly poor experience could stand to be addressed that it is not universal and may potentially be very abnormal.

I do still think people tend to presume their problems are far more common than they really are. The steam game-stat numbers would tend to suggest that issues which render the game almost unplayable or require alternate display modes to work around to avoid crashes are at least not so common as to prevent the game from remaining the single most played title on their service. I suppose this makes sense though since forums will more often than not be visited by those with problems rather than people enjoying the game. It is important to realize though that seeing other people (even "lots" like 20 or 30) post with the same problem as you merely tells you it is not unique. It does not give you any meaningful way to gauge how common it is - merely that at least that many people have experienced it.

Back
Top Bottom