Deus Ex: Human Revolution - No Dynamic Difficulty

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Apparently there's been an incorrect rumour that Deus Ex: HR would feature dynamic dfficulty. Not the case, says Producer David Anfossi, quoted at PC Gamer:
“I don’t know who said that,” said Anfossi of Birch’s comments, “but that person was either drunk or doesn’t work here.” He made it very clear: “No. We have three difficulty settings: Easy, Normal and Hard. There’s no adaptation of the difficulty at all, we don’t have anything like that.”
More information.

programmed by the same people who made the difficulty slider?
the difficulty slider is often rather esoteric since its not usual for the devs to be to in depth with what is actually effected by the difficulty levels.

most of the time i find its somewhat of a gamble anyhow as if there's only 3 difficulty levels i'm hesitant to choose normal as it will most likely be somewhat easy and will shorten the 'virgin' gameplay experience. however if you are for sure planing on wanting to play the game again, then often playing on hard the first time makes for a great first playthrough but subsequent less challenging and motivating follow ups unless you take steps like player 'gimping' to limit skills to a certain type of role playing build, rather than a multifaceted one.

but for me i find myself choosing hard anyhow unless its a game i know will be merciless and grinding, as its rare for me to replay through a game, at least not until a much later date if at all.

but that person was either drunk or doesn’t work here.” He made it very clear: “No. We have three difficulty settings: Easy, Normal and Hard. There’s no adaptation of the difficulty at all, we don’t have anything like that.”

take that Bethesda

Nowdays I just choose "hard". I don't bother even trying "normal" first time around. Difficulty levels have changed drasticly over the years. Yesterday's easy is today's normal and what we considered normal few years ago is now labeled "hard". I'm not complaining though, it's a damn good thing that there is a difficulty slider since most of us have different preferences about "good challenge."

Last edited:
To paraphrase Captain Kirk:

"I've never trusted Klingons, and I never will."

I've never trusted difficulty levels, and I never will.

Back
Top Bottom