Dark Souls - Games for Windows Live

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
BANDAI NAMCO Games finally has a new post about what to expect for anyone still playing Dark Souls after the shutdown of Games for Windows Live.
Dark Souls, Games for Windows Live, and the Future

With the release of Dark Souls II, many players have been asking questions about the continued support of Dark Souls I. We thoroughly appreciate the dedicated fans who are adventuring through Lordran (maybe for the first time!) and we’d like to clarify a few points:

1. Dark Souls will remain fully functional on GFWL for the foreseeable future.
  2. BANDAI NAMCO Games is currently seeking avenues to continue support and ensure the functionality of Dark Souls on other services. We will have more news and updates to share on this in the coming months.
More information.

Just remove it!!!!

I wonder how many old games are going to become unplayable because of the shut down?

GFWL was a nightmare and I'm glad it's gone.

I spent 240 hours with dark souls and it's a great game. However it was the exploration and discovery that I enjoyed about it most so I don't see me returning to play it again with those aspects gone for me.

I wonder how many old games are going to become unplayable because of the shut down?

At least in the case of DS1 From Software is saying they are looking into an alternate server service to keep the game alive.

Old games will just die eventually. I think it is starting to happen, I can't stick my floppies anywhere anymore.

You sure? Even if you roll them tightly? :devilish:

Thanks for this, I was scared by the access violations I received by doing it zahratustra's way. Now I just need to strip my OS down to pure DOS and I will be giving Mangar the rough stuff from the ole 8 inch floppies.

That bit of nonsense aside, I am sure no more than a quarter of a century from now you will be able to re-purchase DS when server cost issues have become a thing of the past.

Last edited:
there's always DosBOX and other emulators. Lawrence Livermore Labs regularly has to back up or port 40 years of data for transition when new super computers come in. I seem to recall when UNIX machines treated hard drives as glorified tape recorders and hence we still use the legacy tarballs.

Hello.

I'm very tempted to buy this game but all this talk about GFWL in the process of being getting rid of makes me a little unnerved.

If I buy it, will I be able to play it without hiccups?
And does anyone know if I'll be able to play it for years to come?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom