Borderlands 2 - Preview @ VG247

Dhruin

SasqWatch
VG247 has a look at Borderlands 2 from E3 with input from game director, Jeremy Cooke. The article is titled subtitled "like and unlike Diablo III in all the best ways". Apparently PC players are being looked after this time:
Also added to the PC version are a number of refinements courtesy of Nvidia and the latest Unreal 3 tech.
There’s no insane DX11 tessellation, but there’s all the PhysX destruction you could ask for. You’ll tear up cloth, shatter windows and splinter wood. Cooke says he’s even seen a corrosive skag barf corrosive liquid which then rolled downhill breaking into smaller puddles along the way. That’s the type of thing you’ll only see on PC, and it’s pretty damned cool.
There’s even radiosity lighting, day-night cycle support (finally), next-gen pixel shading and loads of other new UE3 stuff we’ve seen being added of late. As Jeremy pointed out, the team got the budget to do things its own way this time around, and making a proper PC version was certainly part of Gearbox’s plan for Borderlands 2.
Better yet, as Jeremy says, “The UI is now a proper PC UI.” You can use your mouse to do almost anything on every screen and also rebind all your keys. There’s even G series LCD support for you Logitech fans out there.
More information.

Dagnabbit, looks like I'll be switching back to Nvidia from AMD at this rate. No support for Physx with AMD unless you use a hack.

I don't recall having any issues with the controls or UI in the first game. Although that didn't stop me from being disappointed in the single-player campaign.

Great news for the UI. At least, after all those consolish ugly and badly designed flash scaleform UIs that looks like all the same whatever PC game you play at.

Dagnabbit, looks like I'll be switching back to Nvidia from AMD at this rate. No support for Physx with AMD unless you use a hack.

Looks like I'd be avoiding Borderlands 2 at this rate. It's bad enough making a game arbitrarily propitiatory to consoles, but to do it for a minority GPU vendor is just sticking two fingers up to the PC gaming scene.

Since when is Nvidia a "minority GPU vendor"? While I don't like the exclusivity of Physx on Nvidia cards, there are workarounds if you have AMD, such as the aforementioned hack as well as simply lowering physics effects.

Anyway, Borderlands 1 was a terrific romp with friends, so I will definitely pick #2 up, Physx or not.

Back
Top Bottom