Caribbean! - From Devs of Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword

Dhruin

SasqWatch
RPS posts about Caribbean!, a pirate-y action/RPG based on the Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword engine and developed by the same Snowbird Games in collaboration with TaleWorlds:
Games about pirates sometimes feel the need to exclaim their titles, as if rushing into a room and excitedly waving their arms, jumping up and down, screaming in your face. ‘Pirates’, they yell, spittle flecking your bewildered visage, ‘piiiiirates’! Or, in this case, they’re bellowing ‘Caribbean’, which makes it really hard for me to work out which vowel to elongate. I guess it would be ‘Caribbeaaaaaan’!. Anyway, Caaaaaribbean! is a newly announced game from Snowbird Game Studios of Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword, and it uses the same engine for a piratical game, with naval combat, boarding operations and sieges. More screenshots below.
Looking aound, it seems this was announced back in February and we either missed it or it has slipped my mind. From Gamasutra:

• Sea battles with intuitive and easy control system;
  • The real-time boarding fights that throw player in the centre of the action;
  • Detailed management and customization of both the fleet and the crew;
  • Complex siege system allowing the players to storm forts, harbors or entire cities;
  • Different kinds of artillery: shipboard cannons, mortars and howitzers;
  • Random events system that keeps players question their decisions during their voyage;
  • True ‘Carribean’ atmosphere of the vast and dangerous world;
  • Unique NPCs whose design based on the real historical figures;
  • Various multiplayer modes featuring the sea and land battles, boarding and sieges.
More information.

Seem interesting, even more if they will attempt to create a single player experience with more interactions with the world.

I love M&B and used to like Sea Dogs, but this is not for me. I hope Taleworlds itself is working hard on M&B2, and gives the game a graphic overhaul, along with incorporating some of the elements that megamods like 'Floris' introduce.

Last edited:
M&B was great. M&B With Fire and Sword just didn't work as well despite the "enhancements". If this is another similar enhancement to their system I am not enthused.

That's the same thing that's bothering me also. I don't want the same game and engine with just enhancements. I've seen the screenshots they don't look that bad.

I'll wait for the final product to judge the game.

Considering the carribean settings, the engine could deliver a lot.

Not sure they want to keep on the path set by Mount and Blade and then the engine would lose some of its relevancies.

I was just playing Pirates! thinking that if it had M&B's solid combat instead of a collection of abstract minigames it might have benefited a lot. It seems we might find out. With Fire & Sword didn't catch my attention either although, if I want to be fair and only according on how many hours I spent on it, MB:Warband is one of my most (if not the most) favorite games ever and MB2 is the only sequel I look forward too (since MB can take a lot of improvement) but this looks different enough from the usual recipe to be interesting.

Also a big mount & blade fan.

I have been wondering what Taleworlds is doing recently. I hope making M&B 2. As much as I like the game it gets repetitive after a while and the small changes they release dont change much.

I keep hoping for the world to be flushed out more with things like more lively cities, more interesting NPC's, more interesting quests, jousting, improved sieges etc….

This one does look a bit interesting though will keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom