Dirty Tenant & Bed Bugs

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
So I live in a two story house that is basically two apartments. Two years ago a man who by all right should not be living on his own moved in. That's not the problem though.

This man-child as I like to call him is the most dirtiest person I ever met. He vomits and throws cigarettes on the floor and sinks, and never throws his trash out.

Now if that was all but he causes water leaks due to not using a shower curtain and backing up his sinks & toilet. As of now I have two huge holes on top ceiling.

Now wait or it. It's getting better as surprise he has bed bugs and never told me the downstairs tenet. Per the lease it's required to notify us and pay for damages.

Still wait for it because he is not mentally stable the landlord cant legally evict him. We've both tried three times but the state always comes to his defense. Every time.

Now I have to throw out most of my stuff and pay thousands of dollars for an exterminator. I'm at my wits ends and thinking of taking more legal action.

So laugh away as life is not peachy right now.:mad:

Moving away is not an option?

Because that's what I would have done ASAP.
Wish I could but my savings are nearly depleted and the cost of moving and breaking the lease don't help. I never talked about this but I'm now handicap and not working.

Wish I could but my savings are nearly depleted and the cost of moving and breaking the lease don't help. I never talked about this but I'm now handicap and not working.

That sucks :(

I've been in situations with bad neighbors before - and it can be quite the nightmare.

Unfortunately, the moving out part is the only resolution I can think of that would work with certainty.

Even if you take legal action, you're typically faced with endless waiting and being ever more frustrated.

Sounds like you could sue him for health endangerment.

He sounds like a pretty sad case. Do you know if the social services are involved? I've known a lot of vulnerable people that end up in these states, and a lot can be achieved with the right kind of care.

He sounds like a pretty sad case. Do you know if the social services are involved? I've known a lot of vulnerable people that end up in these states, and a lot can be achieved with the right kind of care.
Yes he has a social worker they helped him clean but quickly grew tired of his mess. They also bring him food, pay his bills and defend him in court. It's mind-boggling.

They shift the blame to my family when he's the one destroying the building.

That's odd. I would have thought that, if they're putting in that level of support, they would arrange a regular home care visit, to ensure that things are at least kept sanitary.

As a side note, bed bugs infestations are not caused by sanitation issues. This could have happened before or after he moved in. Getting rid of them should be the landlord's issue, not yours. Since I believe most leases mention something along the lines that they're required to provide reasonable upkeep of the place (which i'm assuming damage that the other resident has caused to your suite, as well as bug issues) means they're probably breaking their end of the lease agreement. I'm not a lawyer obviously, but if I were in the same situation, I would move now, and ignore the lease, and fight it later if the landlord complains. Keep records and document everything.

I'd be careful of that option. I don't know how things are weighted over there, but over here the courts frown on breaking leases because of landlord's failings. They tend to expect you to take the landlord to court for any redress, and come down on you if you try to do it the other way round.

I'd be careful of that option. I don't know how things are weighted over there, but over here the courts frown on breaking leases because of landlord's failings. They tend to expect you to take the landlord to court for any redress, and come down on you if you try to do it the other way round.
Yeah the courts usually side with the landlord if you break the lease. I'm starting to think its a universal world wide law. Should of bought a small house but its cheaper renting.

Yes, I think in most countries, because the concept of a lease is so fundamental to the economy, it tends to be treated as pretty sacred, except in extraordinary circumstances. That's not to say they always favour the landlord in a dispute, just that you can get off on the wrong foot if you break the lease and let the landlord come after you.

Caddy makes a good point, though. The landlord very likely has a responsibility to ensure the dwelling is safe and habitable. Your best bet might be to put pressure on him. Essentially to say, if you can't do something about this, just let me out of the lease and we'll call it quits, otherwise I'll have to come to you for damages.

Well good news the man-child is out but the bugs still remain.:wideeyed:

I upvoted this post instead of hitting the quote button. While it's definitely a nice thought, this ain't Britain, baby. :p I'm not sure where exactly Couch lives in the U.S., but in my parts, good luck with social services actually taking decent care of anyone.

That really sucks, Couch. I have a pretty good idea what you're going through. I served a couple of years working as a property manager, (Karma might be real.) and I had some real hard cases. I've seen maggots crawling all over a baby's mattress in a crib (Yes, it was being used.); a woman who never walked her large dog but sent it into the walk-in closet, where feces was piled as high as your knee; and human feces smeared on the walls of the apartment of an evicted tenant (I normally liked to pitch in with my maintenance guy, but I made myself scarce that time. :p )

Where I live, housing court was a pushover for the landlord. I only lost once in court, and I evicted a lot of people. I never liked it, but I'm afraid it was my only tool for creating a decent place for the decent people to live.

But, Couch, you should absolutely take it to your landlord. Really give your manager or landlord the business. Give him or her hell. It's their responsibility to maintain a healthy environment for you and the other tenants. These things, particularly bugs, do not contain themselves to one apartment. You can knock down roaches in one apartment, and they travel through the walls to others. I've played plenty of "roach whack-a-mole." Eradicating them is possible with simple bug bombs from the hardware store, but you need access to multiple apartments and some real tenacity.

So, Couch, I would recommend reading the clause in your lease about the landlord's responsibilities about pest control, as well as any other health/safety sections. While they can vary a lot, there's almost certainly a clause about bug control. Give the landlord hell, as he or she is not meeting their obligations. Do what Ripper said, if you don't believe the landlord will solve the problem: compile evidence, threaten to take them to court and then use that as your bargaining chip to get the landlord to waive any financial penalties and release you from your lease. (Make sure you get a release form signed by the landlord or manager.) Then, get the hell out. :)

In the interim, buy bug bombs. I'm not sure how infirmed you are, but you'll have to vacate the premises for 4 hours or so. One bomb for each room. Open all doors and cabinets. Cover any dishware inside the cabinets. If you do this too often, roaches, at least, will start to become immune, and you'll have to switch to a different brand of bomb. Save your receipts for what you buy. In my state, and I understand many others, you can provide copies (Keep the originals yourself.) of the receipts and deduct the total amount from your rent, if it's for work the landlord was required to do but did not.

If the landlord won't release you from the lease, compile evidence and take him to court.

EDIT: I'm glad for you, Couch. My bug-bomb advice still stands. This will at least send the bugs scurrying to another apartment. Oh, I almost forgot: boric acid. Place this powder around the base of your refrigerator and other appliances (underneath if you can, so it doesn't show), as well as shaking some down into your drains. Roaches, in particular, love moisture and heat. They often use plumbing to travel between apartments, and this is a good, simple measure to take for anyone living in an apartment.

Last edited:
Good news, Couch. Sounds like the Captain knows the score. Bomb the bugs, and get that landlord on the mat!

Well next update house is being bombed tomorrow but I had to throw out half my belongings. The plus side is the landlord is reimbursing me for some of the stuff.

Well good news the man-child is out
I'm not sure what does this mean, but makes me sad to hear things like that.

What I do know is that no neighbor is a perfect neighbor, they all have their quirks we cannot adapt to:

But then, there is only one thing that can save the day:

You're not a social worker, sure, but I wouldn't sue a person who obviously needs professional help, I'd sue the government for not providing it! I mean, why do you pay those taxes? To fill politicians' pockets only?

That is a totally and thoroughly disgusting story to read, I'm glad at least you are getting some results. I hope the bombing wipes out all the little nasty pests!!

That is a totally and thoroughly disgusting story to read, I'm glad at least you are getting some results. I hope the bombing wipes out all the little nasty pests!!
Well that bombing is costing the landlord $3,000. We wanted to use the steam method but that would of cost triple the amount, and well not happening said the landlord.

Back
Top Bottom