Monitor - Worth the upgrade?

Right now I'm pondering getting a monitor upgrade, and would like some feedback if it's worth it. I can't really trust myself, as I'm very easy to convice myself anything is a good idea, if I stay on the idea long enough. :D

Right now I've got a LG 34" ultra-wide monitor at 3440x1440 @ 60Hz with 5ms response time. It's pretty decent in gaming, but it's not exactly a highend gaming monitor.

With the nvidia 30xx series, I'm pretty sure I'm planning on getting a 3080, and with this in mind I thought about upgrading to a better monitor, with a resolution more closely to a 4k, and found this monitor, LG 38GN950-B, a 38" one which runs at 3840x1600 @ 144Hz with 1ms response time.

The reason I'm thinking about getting the monitor this early, compared to the 3080, is because in my country these sorts of monitors are quite rare, since high-end hardware is pretty niche. So my worry is I wouldn’t find that model by then

So, what do you think? Would you get it? Should I just stick with the current one until the 3080, and see how it fares on that? Or just pull the trigger now? As I said, my main worry is that it would be a shame to have a such a strong GPU with a weaker display.

Haha, good, because I was going to say to wait. That's a pretty nice monitor. If you do upgrade, you should totally sell the old one to me cheap, though. ;)

After going Ultrawide I’d never go back to 16:9

Our peripheral vision tends to be mostly horizontal and not vertical, so going to a “regular” 4K feels like something is missing.

I recently upgraded my entire rig + monitor. It was part of a grand plan.

Not only to get a future secure setup - for when I stop working, but also for my christmas vacation - which was almost entirely dedicated to Cyberpunk 2077.

Of course, nothing ever goes as planned - and so CP2077 didn't really happen.

Still, my new rig is sweet - but there's nothing much I really need it for.

Except, I must say, for the new "monitor" - which turned out to be more than worth the upgrade - and then some.

It's a LG CX 48" OLED TV.

Apparently, it's not just my opinion - as it seems most of the Internet agrees it's the best possible gaming screen currently in existence.

I never thought it would make that much of a difference - but it honestly does.

So, yeah, it's worth the upgrade if you pick the right one :)

Back
Top Bottom