Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Halcyon 6

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Forgottenlor played a lot of 2016 releases. Some of the ones he liked best have already reviewed at RPGWatch. He has played a number of other games though and simply did not have the time to review more than one of them. So he figured to give you, our forum members, the choice which of these games deserves a review. The following four games come into question, because he made a lot of screenshots and kept a review in mind when playing them. They are

Balrum: http://store.steampowered.com/app/424250/

The Dwarves: http://store.steampowered.com/app/403970/

Ember: http://store.steampowered.com/app/339580/

and Halcyon 6: http://store.steampowered.com/app/371200/

He did finish both The Dwarves and Ember. Played 24 hours of Balrum (he guesses that is about half of the game) and over 15 hours of Halycon 6 (Probably about 2/3 of a playthrough). The RPGWatch team thought this would be an entertaining poll/vote, so let your voice be heard! The poll closes on February first.

Balrum's the only one there that interests me, TBH.

I also vote for Balrum! :)

Vote for the dwarves. Common', four more votes, let's beat those Balrum lovers. ;)

Well, actually in almost 15 hours it closes automatically.

Congrats to Balrum, and thanks to all the voters. I'll start writing this weekend :)

A short note to all those who voted for the Dwarves.

The Dwarves is a pretty good game in my opinion. The presentation is really slick for a small company. There is nice voice acting and graphics for the most part. Combat is fun, though many missions have "goals" and you simply face endless enemies until you complete the goal, which is often quite easy to do once you figure out what you need to do. Non combat missions are mostly like point and click adventures, though there are a few side quests which are simply dialogue trees. Character development is extremely shallow, though by the end of the game you have a very large number of characters who you can add to the party, and adding the "correct" characters can make a mission pretty easy. The Dwarves is not for hardcore rpg players. In terms of difficulty, character depth, and combat tactics, its simply lacking. Nevertheless I found the game pretty enjoyable. Its more like a visual novel/ adventure game with combat than a traditional rpg, though. It also took me only 10 hours to finish and has a very high asking price. I'd say its a decent pick to get on sale if you don't mind it being the kind of game it is.

Last edited:
Yes, I thought The Dwarves looked like it had the potential to be turned into something really good, perhaps in a future iteration.

OMG why would we want to subject someone we actually like to playing The Dwarves?!?!? I backed it, played some ... and now regret backing it.

OMG why would we want to subject someone we actually like to playing The Dwarves?!?!? I backed it, played some … and now regret backing it.

I enjoyed it, but I had read RPGCodex's review before playing it, so I had very low expectations for it. I wouldn't back another rpg from the developer either. Still, I think if you know what to expect and get it on (a big) sale, its pretty fun. Its just mechanically pretty weak, but if you're not expecting it to be much of an rpg and can enjoy it as a visual novel with some fighting, its well done.

How long has this poll been up? I visit this site multiple times a day and just now noticed it & that it was closed.

From January 20 till February 1.

Back
Top Bottom