RPGWatch Feature: Best RPG of 2010

Without a doubt a worthy winner! The best RPG of 2010 by quite a margin in my opinion.

Let's hope Obsidian continues to develop games of such quality. If they do, we're in for a treat!

Definately well deserved!

And I hoped DKS would get more mainstream attention (for the sake of Larian), it is such a great game.

Mainstream forums barely take notice of DKS. They dont care that much even if I make posts about it and the good reviews it has received. All that seems to matter is that nobody has heard of this game so it cant be good or worth taking notice of. People seem to care more about advertisement/fame than good reviews.

Even light diablo clone like magicka gets more attention???

I made som posts about this DKS award and som new people noticed it and are instantly buying the game. Advertisement matters. If I get lucky I might get a review for it from the biggest and oldest scandinavian gaming magazine.

People seem to care more about advertisement/fame than good reviews.

And EA is currently showing to be a master of that !

Mainstream forums barely take notice of DKS. They dont care that much even if I make posts about it and the good reviews it has received.

I made som posts about this DKS award and som new people noticed it and are instantly buying the game.

All this in 12 minutes? Boy, you`ve got a future in PR :p

This will probably be one of the rare times a game will make it to the top list on best and worst. (Mass Effect 2)

Very surprise editors voted for dragon age awakening. It was one of the most boring games I had ever played. Dragon Age was fun (as an interactive movie; the combat mechanics suck so replays lost their value); but awakening lacked the good parts of dragon age; and since the basic mechanics are so poor it really sucked. This is a cross with (for example) king bounty that has fun mechanics so even with a sucky presentation it is still 'fun' to play as a game.

Anyways that is just my opinion and obviously others (many?) disagree :)

Same as 'you' really - was really disappointed by awakening.

Glad to see Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga got recognition.
I´m just finishing the Ego Draconis portion and it´s been incredible experience so far.
The game is excellent in key aspects (quests, exploration, loot, character customization), on nightmare it is indeed challenging at times and I´ve never played an RPG with such a good sense of humor.
I haven´t played the original ED, but some of the complaints I remember no longer apply (level difference between player and enemies no longer plays such an important role in calculating damage and majority of game´s most grindy aspect, flying fortresses, can be easily bypassed).
The game also shows how lack of hand holding can improve the overall experience and make finishing quests and exploration much more rewarding - it´s clearly the way to go, fuck quest markers!

Anyway, F:NV´s first spot is well deserved (yeah, quest markers are there, but that´s when multiple quest solutions, skill checks galore and faction interplay come to the rescue), it´s an open world game done (mostly) right.
I still had even more fun with DKS though, which alone means 2010 was a pretty damn good year for RPG-y titles in my book and I don´t even have to count tight oldschool-y experience courtesy of Drakensang 2, quality campy entertainment courtesy of Mass Effect 2 and innovative take on genre courtesy of Alpha Protocol.
Overall I had unusually good times playing games released in 2010 :).

Last edited:
I knew what the winner was before I even clicked on the link. :)

Not surprised about the runner-up either.

From the staff I wasn't surprised, but from everyone else I really didn't know if F:NV would win or ME2 would get it again.

That freaking game won RPG GOTY all over the net.

Well, I doubt this will make me very popular, but I have been underwhelmed by FNV, and I *LOVED* Fallout 3 (and its DLC, and the many mods). I don't know ... maybe I just haven't "gotten to the good part" yet.

Divinity II took me by surprise and was probably my favorite RPG of 2010. I had had my eye on Ego Draconis when it was in development, but I never bit when it was released. I'm so glad I changed my mind when both came up in a deal on Steam over the holidays.

ME2 was probably my second favorite of last year, although I have to admit that I'm tiring of Bioware's formula.

My third favorite (although I know it doesn't count here since it is - so far - console-only) I'm sure will earn me further wrath from my peers here: Fable 3. Sorry, loved it. Have loved all three Fables even though I know that makes me lesser than human for doing so. :)

Well, I didn't actually play Mass Effect 2, so perhaps I shouldn't comment, but I will anyway. :p
I did play the original ME, and it is not an RPG, in my opinion, nor did I particularly like it as a game of any kind. At this point, I'm pretty thoroughly bored of the interactive movie games with overwrought cutscenes blighted by hackneyed dialogue. (I'm looking at you, Bioware.)
And speaking of blight, I couldn't bring myself to buy DA:Awakenings, either. I truly wanted to like DA:Origins. It is an RPG...but ultimately a weak one, in my view. Poor character development (in terms of stats and skills that railroaded you into relatively few choices like most MMORPGs do) and uninspired filler combat sequences just didn't hold my interst. DA:O did some things well, too, but ultimately I couldn't bring myself to slog through anymore Blight.
I can hardly believe Bioware will be blighting the genre with more Blight in DA2. Barring any unforseen surprises, I'll be gladly letting the latest edition of the Bioware formula pass me by.

Back
Top Bottom