Grim Dawn - Impression @ RPS

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Rock, Paper, Shotgun takes a look at Early Access version of Grim Dawn.

To put all this rather more simply, Grim Dawn’s the action RPG I’ve enjoyed most in quite some time, and I’m very keen to try the later chapters as they’re released. More so than Torchlight 2, which was a bit too much of a sugar rush experience for me, and certainly more so than Diablo III, which regardless of business model controversies seemed to these tired eyes so polished as to be almost ephemeral. Perhaps my enjoyment’s down to having had a lengthy break from games like this, as in recent months I’ve concentrated more on disappearing down the rabbit hole of introspective titles, and now I’m coming up for slap-happy air. Even so, while stylstically Grim Dawn lives up to its name a little too well, I do think it’s a truer heir to Diablo 1&2 than any of its recent rivals and in doing so it’s very adeptly filling a vacuum in our gaming lives.
More information.

Anyone manage to play both this and Path of Exile?

Yes I played both. I think they are both great -- for what they are.
I find Grim Dawn better as it is more exciting to advance and play the story. The art is a little more to my tastes and the skill trees are creative and fun. The chaos of fighting and spamming the skills is a blast.

I paid money so it is a "game I want to play"-- and it is fun. POE is fun to but I dont find myself wanting to get back to it and if I had a choice I would load up Grim Dawn over POE

I've played both but I wasn't really big on TQ and I have similar complaints about GD. I'd say if you liked TQ, you'll like GD.

I really enjoyed PoE till the endgame. The skill system and skill forest was loads of fun for me.

Hmm, I didn't like Titan Quest ~.~ Felt it to be overly tedious and lacking fun. But I *am* enjoying Path of Exile; finally beat it on normal today, looking to roll up a Scion... somehow... planning a character concept is intimidating in PoE.

I still haven't played Grim dawn and I probably won't until it's fully completed but PoE vs vanila TQ I would would pick PoE.But I like TQ+Soulvizier mod(former underlord) more than PoE or any other aRPG.Main advantage TQ and it's engine have over PoE is that with enough movement you can dodge anything and dodging has point since abilities have CD in TQ and enemies can even run out of mana.So I am having highest hopes for Grim dawn.

They are both good games, but, for some reason, PoE felt more grindy (and the desync is awful).

I find Grim Dawn enjoyable. It feels a little more casual than PoE though, the skill trees are rather limited and the gameplay haven't been very challenging so far. But in all fairness to the challenge level I haven't really played Grim Dawn more than 3 hours. But (again) those three hours felt less enjoyable than PoE did the first few hours.
Grim Dawn looks nice and runs smoothly and combat feels very fluent. If it's worth paying in comparison though is another matter..but hard to say before you can experience end-game

Yes, I played them both.

Grim Dawn didn't impress me - and I didn't particuarly care for the setting. It's a well done action RPG which resembles Titan Quest in the extreme. But it lacks depth and doesn't seem to do enough that's new or interesting.

PoE is a much better game in terms of mechanics, but it's also quite dreary and samey overall.

Diablo 3 with the new patch and expansion will be far superior - in my opinion. I've spent some time testing the new stuff - and they've made it much better.

Oh, don't get me wrong - it's still nothing like what Diablo 3 should have been - but it's better than the alternatives.

Anyone manage to play both this and Path of Exile?

I played both and like GD better. PoE turned into an unrewarding grind where item progress became a matter of trading and the drops made it impossible to gain enough currency for that.
I also consider its 'crafting' seriously flawed and didn't really like their approach to socketables skills, as you need to find a better item with suitable sockets to upgrade, which is very rare (hence the unrewarding grind).

GD on the other hand I like a lot. My favorite ARPG is TQ and this is similar, with some nice improvements (faster combat, more charms and relics, which also provide additional skills). If you liked TQ, you will like GD. If you like ARPGs, you too should like GD.

Back
Top Bottom