Good Old Games - Ubisoft Games 50% Off

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
This weekend you can get any Ubisoft games for 30% off at GOG. If you buy all of them at once you will get 50% off. Might and Magic 6 Pack and Beyond Good and Evil to name just a few are only $6.99 or $4.99 for each game if you buy the whole packagel.
More information.

Last edited:
GoG really seems to get the digital distribution model. Impulse buys are really where the power is. Back in the late 90's I said that if DVD's cost $5 when they came out instead of around $20, I'ld likely buy 10x as many DVD's. Same with music. Essentially, Hollywood would capture 2.5x of my money at virtually no cost to themselves (I think the average DVD, packaging included, costs around $1 to make). And I think most people are the same way. In essense, they would increase their profit simply by lowering prices to where people don't even think twice about buying the item.

Well, Hollywood still hasn't caught on. The music industry has to some extent (I've never bought much music, but once I could buy drm free at Amazon for .99 per song and often $7.99-$9.99 for an entire album, I've bought a lot more).

I never played M&M, but always wanted to. I'd never pay $20 or whatever used to be charged for the retail version. Even at $9.99, I might buy it, might not. But on sale for $4.99? Done. I'll get to it when I get to it, but it's an instant buy. And I'm sure there are a lot of other people doing the same.

The only other digital distribution site I've seen that gets it is O'Reilly books. I do a lot of programming, so I buy books on a fairly regular basis. I got a Sony Reader so I don't have to have my tiny desk cluttered up. Even so, paying $39.99 or more for a technical book is an investment. I have to really need/want it to invest that, especially without a physcial copy. But O'Reilly has the 'Deal of the Day.' Books usually between $4.99 and $9.99. Now when something comes up that I am even remotely interested, it's an instant buy. Might as well ast $4.99 right? Who knows when I might get around to making an iPhone app! Or learning Python? Etc.

(Granted the past month I've noticed the prices are more in the $14.99-$19.99 range).

They also ran a deal last month that any of their print books you owned, you could get a digital copy for $4.99. I already had PDF's of most of mine that I downloaded, but they were selling the ePub ones that work much better on the Readers. I spent $50 or so that I never would have if they had wanted me to pay $10,$20 or whatever.

Anyways, bit of a tangent there, but I love that a least a few players in the market get that trying to keep prices high actually hurts total profit.

Last edited:
I never played M&M, but always wanted to. I'd never pay $20 or whatever used to be charged for the retail version. Even at $9.99, I might buy it, might not. But on sale for $4.99? Done. I'll get to it when I get to it, but it's an instant buy. And I'm sure there are a lot of other people doing the same.

It's really an insanely good deal if you're looking for some old-school crpg gaming. You're talking about hundreds of gaming hours for $5.

Far Cry and HoMM 3: Complete Edition are also great deals at that price.

Insanely good deal indeed.

Personally i plan on getting the HOMM games, huge fan of the series plus i'm really looking forward to HOMM VI.

Might and Magic? Aren't some of these ungodly huge , like 100 hour games?
Great value!

Nothing of interest for me, but that's pretty common with Gog sales (Or when they do have something of interest, I have no money).

Might&Magic 6 has a special place in my heart. Because, it's the game that made me love RPGames. It was the hit of 1998. I already bought it from the gog 1 year ago. If you haven't bought this yet, here is the chance.

After purchasing the game do not forget to download Sergey Rozhenko's mod from his site: http://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/mm
This mod adds customizable keys, always run key and mouse look feature.

not to be a hater but for me it looks like you have to buy all of the games to get 50% off, otherwise its 30%?

not to be a hater but for me it looks like you have to buy all of the games to get 50% off, otherwise its 30%?
50% if you buy all of them, 30% on selected games.

Says so at the top of the offer page, and it's no different to any other offer Gog has had before.

blatantninja said:
GoG really seems to get the digital distribution model. Impulse buys are really where the power is.

I agree, if they lose 30% off the price but gain say 50% more sales, with negligible marginal costs associated with each extra sale, they have to be laughing. I'm sure I saw an article somewhere (possibly related to Steam in that instance) about how well the digital download companies did out of sale periods and how volumes trumped price.

... how volumes trumped price.

If you take a business class you will realize why that is not always true. However, for GoG and the like I can see why it is true because their development costs and overhead are nearly zero.

I wish they had an intermediate volume discount. Like, all for 50%, 5 for 40% or 30% otherwise

You're not being a hater. That would be my mistake for not looking at the advertisement closely. I just saw that big fat 50% off and thought, "GOG is being too cool lately." Well, I should of looked at it more closely. I'll change the newsbit now. It's still a good deal, but not quite as good as I thought before.

You're not being a hater. That would be my mistake for not looking at the advertisement closely. I just saw that big fat 50% off and thought, "GOG is being too cool lately." Well, I should of looked at it more closely. I'll change the newsbit now. It's still a good deal, but not quite as good as I thought before.

that was my thought too it seemed a really good sale, and so i was less excited when they wanted me to by all the games for $80 or so dollars. the only large group of digital games i've ever bought was on steam last year for around $50 and it contained over a dozen games, though only 2 i either didn't already own on disc or had no interest for but the eidos collection at the time did give me 2 enjoyable games of Arkham Asylum and Mini Ninjas. truth be told i've actually never bought a game from GOG dispitate the over 50 games i have through gamergate, steam, direct2drive, and impulse. most of the GOG that are of interest to me i already own, and even the benefit of not needing to bust out a disk would only apply to games i'd find the time to replay. i would totally preorder the witcher 2 if the boxed collectors edition wasn't so damn enticining.

If you take a business class you will realize why that is not always true. However, for GoG and the like I can see why it is true because their development costs and overhead are nearly zero.

Yeah volume only trumps price to the extent that you are still making a profit on each additional sale. There was a truck dealership out where I grew up that claimed they would beat any price found anywhere for any truck (they had dealerships for GM, Ford and Dodge all right next to each other), and they did. When my brother needed a truck for work, he and my Dad went out there and totally beat the guys down on price. When they finally did all the paperwork and the deal was finalized, my Dad asked the manager how they are able to make money. Turned out that the dealers got rebates from the manufacturers in the amount of several thousand dollars for every truck sold over a certain number. So even if they sold it at a 'loss' of a few thousand, at the end of the year, they'd make a profit if they go over that threshold.

Now that's a unique situation of course, but in something like a digital media where your only marginal cost is bandwidth (and maybe some tech support), volume is definitely king.

Wow, Might and Magic 6 pack for $4.99, that's an insanely good deal! Too bad I have multiple copies of many Might and Magic games already. For anyone interested there are a couple large mods for Might and Magic 6/7 and I believe more in the works.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=10

I'm still pondering whether I should get this one.....must not fall to temptation.

Back
Top Bottom