Witcher Bug in EE? Yup, or something...

The Witcher

Jabberwocky

True Synaesthete
All indications are that CDProjekt are done with TW, and EE is final patch. I was playing late last night and ran across the craziest bug I've ever seen. I was just about to beat Savolla the mage when the screen started getting pixely and objects started disappearing. Then the game froze up completely, followed by a full screen slideshow of random texture files used in the game. The game 'un-freezed' and action resumed behind the slideshow, with Savolla beating the crap out of me because I couldn't see anything but texture files of wolf skins, fruit, and fences.

I opened task manager and ended the game and re-loaded, only to have the same thing happen again! So I re-booted the whole system and re-loaded the game, got through the level, and haven't seen any more problems.

Is that crazy or what?

Some folks over on Guru 3D had an awful time playing the game until they turned off EAX. Though nothing like what Jabberwocky hit! That almost sounds like the video card was overheating.

Hmm... maybe but I can't imagine why it would be doing that. I hadn't been playing for long and I've never seen such a thing happen before.

Hmm... maybe but I can't imagine why it would be doing that. I hadn't been playing for long and I've never seen such a thing happen before.

It only takes seconds for a chip to heat up if the dissipation isn't effective enough. Have you looked inside your case lately? Is there by any chance a lot of dust build-up on your GPU? Is the fan spinning freely? Are the air vents in the case unobstructed?

Yes actually I just blew the case out last week. Also a couple weeks ago I posted in the tech section about a funny sound my video card fan was making. At first I thought the sound was due to an overheating issue, but turns out it was a decal on the video card that was hitting the fan. After pulling it off everything seemed fine - haven't seen or heard any problems since.

Back
Top Bottom