RPGWatch Feature: Ultima 6 Project Milestone 8 Released!

Very glad this has not died.

Too bad that modded engines tend to look almost as old as the original game by the time these projects accomplish their goals ;)

Wow. The journal is amazing. I'm very very impressed at what they pulled off.

I played U6 to completion. For some reason though, I can't really remember much about this game like I do all the other Ultimas I finished (which is all of them). I look forward to playing this despite really not liking the DS engine.

It seems so long since I last looked, this really looks amazing. Can't wait to get a chance to play the final product.

It does look really good. Can't wait to try this one out first hand when I get home tonight. It's been too long since I visited Britannia :)

Too bad they're using the DS engine, if they had used Morrowind engine (which came out at the same time) it'd look incredible even by todays standards.

Enjoy!! There's some minor stuff still to be fixed and some portraits to finish, but basically the game is in great shape; most of the bugs lately have been of the minor variety.

Too bad they're using the DS engine, if they had used Morrowind engine (which came out at the same time) it'd look incredible even by todays standards.

Not possible. Ultima 3 - 7 and Morrowind go together like oil and water or should I say like Ultima 9 and Ultima 6 ;)

Ultima 6 is a party based RPG. While Morrowind is not. Now if you were talking about making Ultima 1, 2, 8 or 9 with the Morrowind engine that would be something that made sense.

I don't see a problem with the graphics. Actually it looks really good, imo. Although, I'm comparing it to the original Ultima 6 and not the latest and greatest out there.

@Corwin I can handle a few bugs here or a few missing pictures, but I was wondering can the game be finished?

Yes, Skavenhorde, the game is finishable. But, we are waiting for the final before having an alternate ending available. ;)

Alternate ending? I like the sound of that.

Btw, great intro. I especially liked the Dr. Pepper and TV Channels :) Brought back a lot of memories from the first one. Too bad it was only visual and no narration. Though, I can vaguely remember the writing from the original that would go along with that intro.

It, so far, has exceeded my expectations. Though, I'm only a couple of minutes in. I haven't been able to really take a good look at all that is there.

It took longer than I thought to download. 800+ megs for a mod is no joke. Download speeds were great. 200+ Kb on average.

Oh and welcome to the forums :D

It took longer than I thought to download. 800+ megs for a mod is no joke.
Very true, but I think once you've played it, you'll agree that it's not simply a mod, but a complete port of the original game. And, considering all the enhancements and the shear size of the world we've built, it's not surprising it's so large.

So all you need to play is the original DS and the download or do you need to dig up an old copy of Ultima VI too?

All you need is the original DS and patched (v1.11.1462) or if you have DSLOA, you are ready to go. But I will say that I got another copy of DS, somewhat recently, and it was already patched to the latest. If in doubt, you can get the patch and install - if it's already the latest, it will tell you.

Install DS first (make sure it works), then install the mod and you should be ready to go back to Britannia. And, if for some reason you have any problems in setting up, we're always happy to help and you can get some good info on our forums to help as well.

Alternate ending? I like the sound of that.

Btw, great intro. I especially liked the Dr. Pepper and TV Channels :) Brought back a lot of memories from the first one. Too bad it was only visual and no narration. Though, I can vaguely remember the writing from the original that would go along with that intro.

It, so far, has exceeded my expectations. Though, I'm only a couple of minutes in. I haven't been able to really take a good look at all that is there.

It took longer than I thought to download. 800+ megs for a mod is no joke. Download speeds were great. 200+ Kb on average.

Oh and welcome to the forums :D

Thank you, but I've been around for a while, but had a problem with my account for unknown reasons and had to sign up again. But once I can finish with the U6Project, perhaps I can have some more time to visit here more often and not have my head down in project work so much. ;)

Yeah, we have size. *giggle* And hopefully that translates to players enjoying their exploration of Britannia and gives increased immersion. Have fun exploring. :)

I just wanted to say that this is one impressive mod, errr complete port ;)

It really is quite impressive what you guys have done so far. All of the memories came flooding back of my original play of Ultima 6. I noticed the bits you have added (like the transition point when going through the red moongate and you meet the gypsy) to what you kept the same. For instance, SHERRY!!! I loved that mouse. Totally minor role in the game, but one of the few characters that I'll never forget.

It seems like, if memory serves me, that you really did keep mostly everything the same, while adding your own touches to the game as well. I've just been hanging around the castle investigating every nook and cranny. I haven't had much time lately to delve into the game, but I'm remembering things from my first playthrough all the years ago (and my second and third a few years back)that you kept the same. Even small things like the wizards lab with one of every potion and the layout seems familiar. Lord British's room to the left of the throne room, the walkways around the castle, even the armory seems to be in the same place that I remembered.

I like the added touches to the game as well, like the compendium. Excellent work on that. As well as the journal entries and a little diary you can type in. I wish you could of made sleeping a little faster than in Lazarus. That bit always annoyed me a little, but I understand how difficult it could of been to put a sleep cycle into a gaming engine for Dungeon Siege.

Anyways, I'm back to the game. Just wanted to say thanks and that I'm enjoying it immensely. Plus, thanks for making it Ultima 6 and not 7. Ultima 6, imo, gets overlooked a lot. It's one of the best games out of the series (5 being the best ;))

I just wanted to say that this is one impressive mod, errr complete port ;)

It really is quite impressive what you guys have done so far. All of the memories came flooding back of my original play of Ultima 6. I noticed the bits you have added (like the transition point when going through the red moongate and you meet the gypsy) to what you kept the same. For instance, SHERRY!!! I loved that mouse. Totally minor role in the game, but one of the few characters that I'll never forget.

It seems like, if memory serves me, that you really did keep mostly everything the same, while adding your own touches to the game as well. I've just been hanging around the castle investigating every nook and cranny. I haven't had much time lately to delve into the game, but I'm remembering things from my first playthrough all the years ago (and my second and third a few years back)that you kept the same. Even small things like the wizards lab with one of every potion and the layout seems familiar. Lord British's room to the left of the throne room, the walkways around the castle, even the armory seems to be in the same place that I remembered.

We have tried, in every way we could, to keep the original stuff in and as was found in the original. But yes, we have definitely added our own touches and fixed inconsistencies as we've gone along.

I like the added touches to the game as well, like the compendium. Excellent work on that. As well as the journal entries and a little diary you can type in. I wish you could of made sleeping a little faster than in Lazarus. That bit always annoyed me a little, but I understand how difficult it could of been to put a sleep cycle into a gaming engine for Dungeon Siege.

The Compendium was almost cut, many times, but I fought for that to be in. I think it's helpful as well as aiding immersion.

Anyways, I'm back to the game. Just wanted to say thanks and that I'm enjoying it immensely. Plus, thanks for making it Ultima 6 and not 7. Ultima 6, imo, gets overlooked a lot. It's one of the best games out of the series (5 being the best ;))

I have always said… Ultima 6 was the forgotten Ultima. Once U7 came out, it seemed heavily shadowed. Also interesting, you can usually find numerous walkthroughs for all the Ultimas, but there are only about 3 for U6, and you have to search hard to find them.

I've been playing it and it works pretty well. There are a few inherent tech limits I assume because of the DS code base. For example, none of the resolutions look good on my monitor and the windowed version just hangs. The camera doesn't work well indoors and keeps either leaving me staring at a wall/roof or wildly swinging around. I'm going to persevere, though. U6 was one of my favorite games.

Back
Top Bottom