The Mandate - Kickstarter Updates #22 & 23

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The Mandate has two more kickstarter updates, but the biggest part of the updates is this new video. Now enjoy but don't forget to read the updates also.

There are a lot of sci-fi RPGs out there, but we feel there's something lacking. Being huge fans of the sci-fi genre, we wondered why spaceships feel so empty? What's missing? Looking back to all the TV and Movies that inspired us, like Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica or Firefly, we realised games are missing something integral: a crew. A ship without a crew feels hollow and meaningless, so we've taken space travel to the next level. The dangers of space should not only test your metal, but your flesh.

We wanted to make a game where you're not a solid, singular object in a sky-box; you are a captain in an evolving, dynamic ship that hundreds of people call home. They adapt to you, and grow with you as you fight alongside them, and if you suffer losses, you'll feel the loss that comes with that.

That's where the drama is, that's where the story happens, and it's the interacting with people on the deck that makes this a complete experience.

We want to create a complete sci-fi RPG experience.

We want to explore the war-torn depths of space, engage in political intrigue, lead troops on the deck of a ship, command a fleet from the bridge, and sate our thirsts for glory — and we want you to join us.

For the first time in a game of this type, players will be able to board vessels taking the combat into an RTS environment whilst your friends still fight from their ships in space.
More information.

Last edited:
This sounds like the greatest game of all times which is why it will never match the ambition.I still backed it.

All games with tons of DLC sound like the greatest game of all times. But the emperor is actually naked.

This sounds like the greatest game of all times which is why it will never match the ambition.I still backed it.
I agree and that's why I want it made so badly. Anyway everybody can ignore Joxer as he hated this project from the start. ;)

With just a few thousand missing, and 5 days to go, this is pretty much funded. Which is good.

I am very impressed by the project idea, scope and scale. I am also very impressed by the developers and how professional and to the point their updates are, their responses to questions, and their enthusiasm in general.

One thing that worries me, is that the team is all over the globe and coordinating a project like this is a challange I don't know if they will manage to pull of.

It is highly likely that I will back it up before it finishes, there are only very few who attempted the mount and blade formula.

So nice to see an other rpg almost funded. :) There simply aren't too many scifi rpgs on the market.

It's funded. I agree with SpoonFULL that the developers have created a professional presentation in the form of updates. The ship building, damage, and repair demo gives you a nice idea of what they are looking to get out of ship combat.

Their shield damage system is rather unique and the framework that is revealed upon damaging the hull is also well done. Will be interesting to see how well the boarding combat turns out.

Last edited:
One thing that worries me, is that the team is all over the globe and coordinating a project like this is a challange I don't know if they will manage to pull of.

Maybe this model where the developers are peers who get rewarded when the game releases and where they don't have fixed overheads such as offices etc. is the best way to develop a game of this scope on a limited budget. It's a bit reminiscent of some open source projects, such as Linux. I don't imagine you'd get much change out of $10m (a lot more for AAA features) using the traditional model. Just hope the developers don't starve before they manage to get something out.

It done got itself funded so I guess we'll find out!

Back
Top Bottom