Alpha Protocol - Preview @ Dual Shockers

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Playstation site Dual Shockers has a generic preview of Alpha Preview from a recent Sega press event, which will hopefully provide other info as we move along. A snip:
Speaking of choices, the game’s narrative is heavily influenced by the many choices you make. Here’s a brief breakdown of what I mean. Let’s say I’m Saudi Arabia tracking down gun runner “A”, who has information on where I can find gun runner “B”. Now depending on how I deal with “A” will determine how “B” will in-turn deal with me. If I simply arrest A, then B might be okay with exchanging information with me. If I kill A, then B might not be so hot about telling me anything as he’ll think I’m going to kill him anyway. I hope you guys understood all of that. Moral decision making is an aspect of gaming that has become more frequent in the current console generation, nevertheless I think that AP, is the first title to truly hit the nail on the head.
More information.

Alpha Preview, huh?
That much aside, thanks for the notice.
-10 to the preview for mentioning Mass Effect 2.
-20 for pandering, twice, to "achievement/trophy whores."
+10 for new information...
One of the funnier stats that we had a really quick peek of while Matthew was scrolling through the list was: number of orphans created. Best. Stat. Ever.
Agreed.

considering AP, I honestly ask myself what is the f…. deal with the sega marketing department……
From the information that is available, AP seems largely finished, but they wait for "the right time" time to publish it…… however I wonder when this right time is supposed to be….. in Summer ? in Autumn ? in Christmas season 2010 ?

Come on, its already february and we waited several months for the announcement of a release date..

If they really want AP to be successful, they need to give it more press coverage, more interviews, more trailers whatsoever……

Just my two cents,
L.

Last edited:
With ME2 and FFXIII dropping on the consoles in the next couple of months, I agree with their decision to wait until April or later. I think it would get virtually ignored if it released right now.

I do wish they'd set a release date, though. I don't see what the delay is for that.

I have high hopes for this game. Why, it almost sounds as if it could become a spiritual brother to the holy trinity of the finest RPG/FPS *) hybrids ever made — Deus Ex, System Shock 2 and VtM: Bloodlines.

*) maybe "Sneaker" should be added in there somewhere, given that stealth or covert actions played a major role in those games if you wanted them to.

PS: I agree with themadhatter, the preview linked to above wasn't particularly insightful.

Alpha Protocol has been delayed yet again. So this time, instead of getting a spring release, it’s now set for summer.

Originally set for an October 2009 release, it was delaying into spring 2010, and now, summer 2010, according to MTV (via BigDownload).

Checking out the game during an event this week, MTV was told by that the original delay was to give the game more polish – which we’ve heard before – and apparently, that’s the case now as well.

“We had a few reasons for doing it. One: We wanted to position it better, give it a lot of time. The main reason: We really wanted to polish the game up, make it everything Obsidian planned it to be, and give the consumer a very polished game,” said Matthew Hickman, assistant producer at SEGA regarding the first delay.

“We added a couple of other things. Tweaks in lighting here and there, added the inventory comparison screen so you can compare what you’re buying to what you have equipped. Just bringing the whole quality level up.”

According to MTV, “graphics remain pretty raw and there seem to be AI issues still to be worked out”, so the delay is a good thing.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/02/06/so-much-for-spring-alpha-protocol-delayed-into-summer/

Interesting Anderson. A game I originally feared would be unpolished, as it seemed rushed about a year ago. Now it looks like they've had plenty of time to make sure it's solid.

Still looking forward to it a lot.

Back
Top Bottom