… Not only game publishers …

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
… But also book publishers …

This blog entry reads as if book publishers were rejecting good books out of … varied reasons, similar to what happens in the gaming business as well, only with a larger scale.

I fear that the mntioned blog entry is put forward by Amazon as an implicite advertisement for their eBooks and their eReaders … However, the story told there is something we know at least since reading the Larian blogs.
And this story isn't an unommon tale, either.

The imho most interesting part in it lies imho in the proposition to completely circumnavigate book publishers.
Ad that authors become more and more self-publishing - a thing we already know from so-called "Indie Developers".

I think this could become a new trend (I don't say "a fashion", because i believe fashions to be rather short-lived, but I believe that this here could become a bigger thing) away from monopoly, away from corporatism, towards more middle-class and towards more individual selling of products.

This is like … farmers going into town onto a plaza, building up their booths, and directly selling the fruits of their acres to the customers !

I rather *huge* towns, this would become dificult. in smaller towns, i think that this would be feasible. I see it here every week.

Individuality - the big trend of this century - now taken to a new level.

Alrik

I rather *huge* towns, this would become dificult. in smaller towns, i think that this would be feasible. I see it here every week.

Huge town have farmers market too. Vancouver have an entire island dedicated to it Granville Island. Montréal have 4 public markets since 1933. New York have lots of them too and Asian cities have them all year long on every street corners (at least in Taiwan).

I also know a self-publishing author.

Significant bandwidth and secure electronic fund transfers aren't free, and can be outside the financial reach of your average "starving artist". All you're doing is changing the gatekeeper. Natural market forces at work!

Back
Top Bottom