Wizards of the Coast - D&D & Magic Crossover

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Wizards of the Coast has published a crossover between the two worlds of Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: The Gathering. PC Gamer reported that an Amazon posting leaked the new setting.

That’s not true anymore. A product listing went live Sunday on Amazon showing off Guildmasters’ Guide to Ravnica, a Dungeons & Dragons setting supplement for playing on Ravnica, one of Magic’s most popular settings. Today, Wizards of the Coast confirmed that the book will release on November 9th in game stores, November 20th to the public. They also confirmed, and immediately released, a digital guide to adapting older D&D setting Eberron to 5th Edition D&D.

[...]
More information.

Smells more like a suit-driven decision than an artist-driven one :)

This is boring and I have no interest in either of these projects. I'm still mad that DDO was set in Eberron. Why not Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk? Until they announce a new crpg based on 5th edition, these lack luster projects can go into the rust monster pile.

This is boring and I have no interest in either of these projects. I'm still mad that DDO was set in Eberron. Why not Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk? Until they announce a new crpg based on 5th edition, these lack luster projects can go into the rust monster pile.

I wish it was Dark Sun. :)

I would really love to see new CRPG based on D&D new edition. Since Neverwinter Nights 2 we didn't have decent D&D video game.

Agreed. I'm way more interested in seeing an entirely new dungeons and dragons scenario. The setting would be important, but I'm not pre-locked into one or two, I'd basically give anything a chance. What I'm really not interested in is some melding simply to garner petty interest. Fortunately, with the amount of games around now, there are alternatives to just waiting.

meh, worst idea ever…are they trying to ruin D&D? "Yea, let's mix up our two biggest sellers, their universes, that will cause sales to rise for sure!" -- some corporate moron in an executive office at Wizards of the Coast HQ in Seattle.

Anyway, D&D has been in decline for a long time, for me at least. It all started when they made the idiotic decision to change the class names of "thief" and "assassin" to the much more politically correct and family-friendly "rogue".

Imagine being such a wimp and PC that you think that a fantasy game with a character class named "thief" and/or "assassin" is going to corrupt the kids like the right wing prudes used to think about "satanic rock N roll" or something…:rolleyes:

meh, worst idea ever…are they trying to ruin D&D? "Yea, let's mix up our two biggest sellers, their universes, that will cause sales to rise for sure!" -- some corporate moron in an executive office at Wizards of the Coast HQ in Seattle.

Anyway, D&D has been in decline for a long time, for me at least. It all started when they made the idiotic decision to change the class names of "thief" and "assassin" to the much more politically correct and family-friendly "rogue".

Imagine being such a wimp and PC that you think that a fantasy game with a character class named "thief" and/or "assassin" is going to corrupt the kids like the right wing prudes used to think about "satanic rock N roll" or something…:rolleyes:
Simple answer and that is everything is politicized in the last few years. I shared a link in Joxers BS thread about D&D Gate. It just never ends it's almost comical if not disturbing.

This video speaks my feelings on this matter.

Yes, card games are popular right now.

Here's hoping they can make that work - though it seems a little forced.

Don't know the setting of Magic very well - even though I used to be an avid player. I always assumed it was mostly just a bunch of flavor nonsense that grew into something more.

Wrong. "Rogue" is a broader kind of class type now and allows you to become a thief or an assassin still. Rogue is simply a broader term allowing for specializations like Acrane Trickster, Assassin, Thief, etc.

DnD is actually doing super well and from my understanding has become more popular and mainstream then ever before. 5th Edition DnD is relatively easy to learn for new players but meaty enough that veteran players are satisfied. DnD is definitely not in decline and for the most part Wizards of the Coast has had a incredible run with 5th Edition.

DnD is definitely not in decline and for the most part Wizards of the Coast has had a incredible run with 5th Edition.

That might be true for board games but the decline of D&D PC games is peaking.

4E games? None.
5E games? Sword Coast Legends.
D&D games in development? None.

Even if someone does make one it will just be a unity game again like SCL where your GPU always runs 100% and all multiplayer networking is done through shitty relay servers in USA giving me 250+ ping to play with other Australians.

Yea, so I checked, and they brought back the thief and assassin class as stated as a specialization or subclass for 5th edition. That is good to hear. But my original point was (and still stands) that they did get rid of the thief and assassin class and changed the name to rogue, they did that way back in the second edition. I have always had a beef about that, and I know it must have been because of pressure on them at the time from the environment going on, where people were accusing dungeons and dragons of having too much of bad influences on teenagers and causing some of them to do crazy evil things like kill people and so on. And they gave in, and bowed to pressure, and hence changed the name to rogue, which is very kid friendly.

Anyway, I have not played D&D in years, but I don't think it has ever approached the kind of popularity that it had during the so called golden age, in the early 1980s. I have been to game stores, in the modern age, and I might see one or two tables doing D&D sessions, at most, but it is usually very lightly peopled. Not many folks seem interested in doing that. Most of the people are either playing Magic the gathering or other games.

In the big boom of the 1980s, all the tables would be filled with young people playing D&D!

Anyway, I have not played D&D in years, but I don't think it has ever approached the kind of popularity that it had during the so called golden age, in the early 1980s. I have been to game stores, in the modern age, and I might see one or two tables doing D&D sessions, at most, but it is usually very lightly peopled. Not many folks seem interested in doing that. Most of the people are either playing Magic the gathering or other games.

In the big boom of the 1980s, all the tables would be filled with young people playing D&D!

I think that's less to do with declining popularity and more to do with the fact that in the 1980s game stores were the only place to buy D&D books and meet people who play D&D. Now you can buy the books in any book store and meet fellow players on the internet and play any place that has a room.

My impression has been that from a sales numbers perspective, D&D is much more popular than in the 80s. It's also much more featured in tv shows, movies and other media, rather then in the 80s when it was just the thing that everyone made fun of the one unlikeable nerdy character for playing.

Surprised it took them this long.

Wasn't Magic originally based on that guy's D&D setting anyway? Full circle.

PnP games in general are doing fine. There's lots of books and systems coming out all the time. Off the top of my head some of the big ones in the last little while have been Star Wars from fantasy flight has been pretty huge. Paizo released Starfinder a sci-fi/fantasy setting. Pathfinder v2 is about to drop. And of course DnD 5th which seems to have been very well received generally. All the "nerds" who copped shit as kids in the 80's and 90's are now involved with all the most popular TV shows and movies. Nerdy is far more accepted, it's almost an in thing these days, so it's becoming far more mainstream.

PC games on the other hand, well, meh. They cost lots of money, to the determent of the art.

Never been a Magic player so I'm nonplussed re the OP.

Back when WoTC acquiring D&D everyone predicted something like this would happen. Most would be surprised it took as long as it did.

But it's not a big deal. It's just a source book that most people won't buy. It's not like this is the first time there has been a questionable D&D crossover. Who remembers the Diablo/D&D crossover that happened back in 3E?

Back
Top Bottom