Modern games w/ overland map/exploration

Drithius

Magic & Loss
I probably shouldn't be asking this with Divinity:OS just 2 days away, but I've long yearned for another game in the style of NWN2: SoZ and older D&D with an overland map and the exploration that goes along with it.

Am I looking in the wrong places or do games with this mechanic simply not exist anymore?

I guess maybe Spiderweb games...

Wasteland 2 will have that to a certain extent, like the first two Fallouts.

I think that retro games are your best bet. Unfortunately, most of those will probably be RPGMaker games. There is a roguelike, Tales of May'Eyal, that's got overland nagivation, plus it's a bit more accessible than most games in the genre.

It seems strange that we're not seeing more Gold Box type games out of the indie market. PoR had great overland exploration.

I'm not absolutely sure whether I've understood what you mean ... But if you mean just map exploration ...

I … tend to believe that rather MMOs have this nowadays … Sad.

I know it from SWTOR, where you actually even get experience points for exploring areas …

Apart from that rather strategy games, I guess ? Age Of onders, Cultures, Settlers, maybe …

And what about Skyrim ? Doesn't it have exploration as well ? I mean, I read that the game's environment is said to be huge ...

I think he means games with an alternative exploration mode for travelling great distances which is displayed as a top view map of the game world being "zoomed out" very far.

Just like in Northland Trilogy 1 & 2.

Avadon 2 has a lot of exploration in the style of Baldur's Gate. It's got very good exploration overall with a lot of unique encounters and interesting things to find, so I'd recommend it.

I think he means games with an alternative exploration mode for travelling great distances which is displayed as a top view map of the game world being "zoomed out" very far.

Just like in Northland Trilogy 1 & 2.

Ah, okay, thank you !

No, I'm sorry, I don't remember anything like that ...

Back
Top Bottom