Gothic New Gothic texture patch by ThielHater

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
FYI, taken from a thread in GCRPG.
There are two texture patches available for Gothic (they are compatible with each other):

- Freddy's texture patch (the "old" one)
- ThielHater's texture patch (the new one that Gorath mentioned on the previous page)

Some screens and an embedded Flash vid of the latter patch can be found in this thread. Both patches are BETA and are apparently still being worked on and should be improved in future versions.
Small addendum:
ThielHater´s new patch is compatible to Freddy´s. You can install it on top, each package separately.

I should try this out the next time I play Gothic 1, it's nice that people are still doing work on that game. I think quite a few would list a "Gothic 1 remake" as one of their most wanted games. The graphics are getting old by now, but additional texture packs and so on can keep it a bit updated untill we get that remake (if we ever do).

I'm definitely due for another Gothic run soon - definitely have to try these!

I'm not sure if a Gothic 1 remake would improve the game. It will probably make it worse. The way it is simply some sort of charm. More so than Gothic 2, even. I may be that muddy graphics leave more to the imagination, I don't know.

That said, when I played it for the first time, I dreamt of this kind of game with incredible graphics. :)

I'm not sure if a Gothic 1 remake would improve the game. It will probably make it worse. The way it is simply some sort of charm. More so than Gothic 2, even. I may be that muddy graphics leave more to the imagination, I don't know.

That said, when I played it for the first time, I dreamt of this kind of game with incredible graphics. :)

Wouldn't say that Thaurin. I'm playing Tomb Raider Anniversary now and I like it. I don't think I would want to play the original again: it's simply an awfull graphical display.
A gothic remake can also add a few missing links to the game (new camp group near the Troll Canyon), have more different voices (it was sometimes annoying to hear the same voices over and over again) and have less bugs.

Wouldn't say that Thaurin. I'm playing Tomb Raider Anniversary now and I like it.
TR:A is at the corner of perfect homage and fantastic update.

Gothic 1 I have no problem with the graphics, but reimagining it with current graphics *and* redoing stuff to add on to the world and quests and controls ... that would be killer.

It would only be "killer" if PB would stop listening to the lamer gamers and do it like the original controls. Keyboard only controls were near perfection, but most FPS idiots couldn't comprehend it. Updated(slightly updated) graphics would be super. Finishing some of the original things planned in the game would be far beyond my hopes and dreams.Doing all of this and fixing the various bugs would be nothing short of orgasmic.

It would only be "killer" if PB would stop listening to the lamer gamers and do it like the original controls. Keyboard only controls were near perfection, but most FPS idiots couldn't comprehend it. Updated(slightly updated) graphics would be super. Finishing some of the original things planned in the game would be far beyond my hopes and dreams.Doing all of this and fixing the various bugs would be nothing short of orgasmic.

Let us all bow to your superior ways ... :rolleyes:

Personally I like the Gothic 2 controls the best, but allowing flexibility doesn't equal 'dumbing down' unless it is done incorrectly.

Personally I like the Gothic 2 controls the best, but allowing flexibility doesn't equal 'dumbing down' unless it is done incorrectly.

I think so too and the inventory is slightly better too imo. Only the purchase thing was better in number1. I oftn pressed the mouse button at the item next, under or above it. In Gothic 1 you could undo this, but in number 2 it was actually sold. Something that they luckily fixed for number 3. (one of the things that I consider a real improvement compared to number 2)

the textures do look better:) wow it's nice that people still work on improving this game

A question : to play with the new textures, do I need to start a new game from the Gothic Starter, like with the Golden Mod, or will the textures simply be replaced in the normal Gothic.exe application?

No, just add the files and Gothic will be updated. You can add or remove them at any time during a game.

Couple of questions: a) Does this work with any version of the game? b) How do I install it? Just run all three .exe files (two for Freddy's, one for the other), or.. ?

Started replaying Gothic a couple of days ago, figure I could try this out.

EDIT: If it isn't obvious, I don't know German, else I'd figure it out myself. :p

i must be the only person that hates textures mods to anything other than "extra content/story". the original is a work of art to me (any good game that qualifies) , and some individual or group "repainting" it to me is as abomidable as someone else "touching up" a picasso.

tributes such as anniversary are fine as they are new pieces of work that pay homage to rather than just a shallow "facelift"

It depends. Sometimes, it's possible to simply improve the textures (ie. resolution) without losing any of the artistic quality of the original creation. 'Sides, they can help ease the newer generations of players, those used to better graphics, into the game (helps with us oldies sometimes, too). Of course, it's just as possible to screw 'em up (completely).

this is cool! maybe this will prompt me to play Gothic 1 in-between my Gothic 3 sessions.. :)

Thanks for the info Moriendor and Gorath, this looks fantastic. :)

Speaking of controls, has anyone modified the Gothic 1 controls yet, iirc the Source code was released?

Secondly I can't remember but is there a way to Alt-Tab out, I haven't tried setting Compatablity Mode to 98 or 95 yet, or is the mentioned Windowed mode ()from the player kit?) the closest to Tabbing to the Desktop?

Thanks. :)

well... hte only thing that i would modify immediately would be the picking up! i have i have to press ctrl and up! though the combat is... i like it :D

Back
Top Bottom