Hero - Renamed to Dungeon Hero

Dhruin

SasqWatch
In the grand tradition of generic names comes the news that Firefly's Hero has been renamed Dungeon Hero. Here's the press release Gamecock sent over:
Gamecock Media Group And Firefly Studios Bringing “Dungeon Hero” To PC And Xbox 360™World’s First Authentic Dungeon Crawler Set For Early 2009
Cockpit, Austin, Texas – June 7, 2007 – Today Gamecock Media Group announced Firefly Studios’ Dungeon Hero will be releasing on the PC and Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft. The first dungeon-based game to realistically depict underground life, Dungeon Hero promises all the danger, intrigue and daily routine of an actual subterranean community. Combining HD graphics with incredibly detailed environments completely immerses players in their newfound surroundings, complete with goblin cheese merchants, jailed troll miners and helpful imps just looking for peace.
“Dungeon Hero sets itself apart from every dungeon game that has come before it,” said Rick Stults, Console Chief for Gamecock Media Group. “We love the realism that the game portrays, the living breathing dungeon aspect is something unique that hasn’t been done anywhere before and that’s the key to the innovation we’re looking to promote.”
Dungeon Hero provides players with a fresh take on the classic dungeon based game. The in-game world is a totally functional, living, breathing community in every way. Eat, sleep, chat, socialize, trade and travel as you would in any civilized place – after all dungeon creatures are people too! Fierce adrenaline pumping close quarters combat against a multitude of enemies drives the player deep into their heroic role. The battle system is intense with savage encounters that will leave enemies wondering where they went wrong. Dark times call for one to stand against many, will you be the one strong enough to become the Hero of the Dungeon?
About Firefly Studios

Firefly Studios was formed in 1999, and is recognized worldwide for the depth and attention to detail it gives its games. The company has produced a number of high profile and commercially successful strategy games, including the Stronghold series.
More information.

So they are focusing on making it look good ... oh well. Found this quote about it on Qt3:
"Realistically depict underground life" --> Oblivion with low ceilings

:D

Intriguing design, great graphics (if the pictures I saw are actual screenshots) plus Firefly is a good studio. I certainly hope they deliver.

The title suxx, though... :\

3 times the wording about the environment as there is about the actual gameplay. I'm definitely thinking MW/Oblivion. Too bad.

I like Firefly games. But how exactly do you put "realistic" and "dungeon life" in the same sentence?

Oh, and if the Goblins are selling cheese, and the trolls are already in prison, exactly what kind of enemies is the "hero" supposed to fight??

I like Firefly games. But how exactly do you put "realistic" and "dungeon life" in the same sentence?

Oh, and if the Goblins are selling cheese, and the trolls are already in prison, exactly what kind of enemies is the "hero" supposed to fight??

Zombies, rats, spiders and skeletons, of course. No doubt you will also be chatting with the Troglodytes and swilling ale with a few lost duergar...unless, of course, they actually do plan on doing something innovative.

And though this may be a great title, it seems a bit...pushy..to say "world's first authentic Dungeon crawler". What about Icewind Dale/ToEE and many others?

Still, I'm willing to lay the blame on the PR guys and wait and see.

I find the concept interesting. I imagine a sort of monster society in an Arx Fatalis setting with Gothic's living world.

But I hate generic names and don't think that's a great sign. Dungeon Siege, Dungeon Lords...

Somehow, this reminds me a bit of dungeon keeper, where you had living dungeons underground and not just a bunch of mindless creatures guarding hidden treasures. Will be interesting to see how this evolves, although I have to agree regarding the title: Please come up with something a bit more original.

...Dungeon Siege, Dungeon Lords...

Dungeon Keeper
Dungeon
Dungeon Master
Deathtrap Dungeon
Dungeon Crawl
Zork III: The Dungeon Master
Dungeons of the Unforgiven
Dungeons of Kroz
The Adventures of Maddog Williams in the Dungeons of Duridian
Dungeons of the Necromancer's Domain
Dungeons of Kremlin
Dungeons of Daggorath

Now Mike will point us to his review of each of them!! :biggrin:

So they are focusing on making it look good ... oh well. Found this quote about it on Qt3:
"Realistically depict underground life" --> Oblivion with low ceilings

:D
More like Riddick without the stealth. An action game with quiet interludes.

Isn't anyone going to namecheck Ultima Underworld?

Back
Top Bottom