Fallout 3 - Lead Designer Revealed

If this newsbit really turns out to be true, then it's great news indeed! Emil is a great guy, and even thought DE:IW was crap, Thief 2 was marvellous and the DB questline is the finest in TES4.

Hence, I'd say he's an excellent choice.

I still wish Obsidian Entertainment could make Fallout 3, to make it more like the original games. Oh well, among Bethesda devs I suppose Emil is the best choice.

I still wish Obsidian Entertainment could make Fallout 3, to make it more like the original games.
Why, exactly? FO2 was a desperate patch-job with little to recommend it. Why are all the diehard fans so afraid of change? I think Bethesda will do a great job.

I also think the "hardcore" Fallout fans won't be satisfied if they release anything other than t e original code from Fallout I.

Fallout 2 was better than 1 imho, and the reason why I want the original devs on it is to create a world with consequenses - Oblivion is a childfriendly environment where you can do whatever you want and join whatever factions you want without any real consequenses. If we get that kind of gameplay in Fallout 3, they're just using the name to sell a lot, not actually staying true to the concept.

I agree!! While Oblivion had better NPC's than previous games, they are still their weakest area, while Fallout had some of the best NPC's ever.

Why, exactly? FO2 was a desperate patch-job with little to recommend it. Why are all the diehard fans so afraid of change? I think Bethesda will do a great job.

I think that -- whatever Bethesda does -- Obsidian would have done it better. So Maylander's comment makes sense to me.

The problem with Obsidian is the almost total lack of humor in their games, after that interview with Chris Avalone it is hard to back those guys anymore.
His comment was something along the lines of "Popbulture humor is Stupid".
Think about that then think of the orginal Fallout, System Shock 2 and 3, Bloodlines and almost every other great RPG.

Its certianly not that I mind drama or even playing a game which has no humor [if it fits the storyline] but to have an official company policy [Avalone's words] against it, that's poor conceptualizing and managment.
When I think back on KotOR 2, besides all the shortcuts, unfinished work and bugs it certianly had a serious lack of hummor, well imo.

Now on the other hand this is very good news as Bethseda has horrible story and character AI depth [inaine and monotone come to mind} so it will be a much better game all around than Bethseda could ever do.

I always thought, Planescape: Torment had a lot of humor? Morte, the conflicts between Annah and Grace, the crazy stuff you could do in the game, that was imho great humor although sometimes a little bit specific, sarcastic... It was Avellone, who had the most influence on this game's design (and of course Guido Henkel ;)). I see this kind of humor coming back in NWN2. I read descriptions about party interaction and it felt like PST. So, I don't think this statement is true.

Anyway, there is no room for discussions. Bethesda has the license for FO3 and no matter what, they will do it. I don't like their games, too, though Emil seems to be qualified for the job. So let's hope, it will be at least as modable as Oblivion. There will be enough passionate FO fans to bring us the true FO experience we want.

Avellone did say that in an interview he did within the last 4 months, think it was around the last big game convention.

I do agree there was humor in PT, I am not sure its the same as Culture humor.

I don't recall Avellone being in charge of PT, even if he was in charge, he must have changed his mind, that is his company stated policy.

Avellone isn't the sole owner of Obsidian so maybe it is just for the games he is in charge of and any other owners have there own poilicies over their games, dunno.

I certianly hope your right about NWN2, since I realise culture and/or humor is not stupid. ;)

I believe he said no "injokes". i.e. characters with developers names being used in funny ways or jokes from the community forums - things like that.

I always felt they had some very good humor - not only in PS:T, but also games like Baldurs Gate 1-2 had decent humor(Minsc and Boo anyone? Characters like Korgan and Edwin are also examples of great writing).

The thing about KotOR2 is that it was the first game for Obsidian after they launched, and they needed to publish something that would sell well in order to get enough cash to be solid. Remember, Black Isle may have produced some of the best RPGs ever(BG games, Fallout, PS:T, Icewind Dale etc), but they went out of business because they didn't have enough money in the end.

I have high hopes for NWN2 now that Obsidian finally has enough money to make thorough games, and also for a game in production they won't reveal anything else about than "it will remind you of Baldurs Gate" or "modern Baldurs Gate" or some similar quote.

Avantenor is right though, this is not really something to discuss. Bethesda will make FO3, so let's hope for the best. Also, if it has modding capabilities like Oblivion, the old hardcore FO community will surely make mods to remove the "childfriendly" feeling of ES:O.

Instead of worrying about who is making the next Fallout, maybe we should be encouraging Obsidian to make another Planescape!! :biggrin:

I sympathize with whoever gets to take on the Fallout fans. I don't think there's a more easily displeased collection of "supporters" out there. I'm glad to see initial positivity here at least.

As for humor and Obsidian, I think the idea is to avoid breaking down the fourth wall by sticking in real-world references that would take someone out of the game. Some game humor can feel like it's from a geek frat club that you aren't a member of.

Honestly, at this point in time, I don't see how anyone could do a Fallout 3 and make it work on the same level as the original.

The autopsy has been going on too long, and like the Star Wars "prequel" that Lucas finally got around to filming twenty years after the big hit, it's going to be very difficult to produce anything besides reheated leftovers.

Maybe its a good thing Bethesda's got it. At least they can come at it from a differerent perspective.

Maybe its a good thing Bethesda's got it. At least they can come at it from a differerent perspective.

And maybe come up with an innovative name like (consults generic fantasy name generator) 'Unearlthy Lord of Fallout' ...

;)

I love Bethesda's products because they can be modded. As long as they make it moddable, Fallout 3 should do well. I don't really care about all the whiners. Fallout, as we knew it, is long gone. Does anyone think Dark Messiah is Might and Magic, just because it carries the name? I imagine Fallout 3 will resemble Fallout as much as Dark Messiah resembles Might and Magic VII-IX. If DMoMM was moddable, we might have hopes of seeing a crpg one day, but that isn't gonna happen.

Definatly an upside to having Bethseda dev F3, is the the Editor and if they can't get it right someone else will. ;)

Back
Top Bottom