RPGWatch Forums
Page 2 of 29 1 2 3 4 12 Last »

RPGWatch Forums (https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pathfinder: Kingmaker (https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread (https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40946)

azarhal September 28th, 2018 23:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivanwah (Post 1061532009)
- I encountered some fairly minor bugs so far, some missing text and some UI quirks; nothing game breaking so far;
- I find some of the in-game descriptions are lacking, I was not able to understand them since some info was missing;

Are you playing in English? The last 2 hotfixes added missing translation fixes and I haven't seen any missing text in English.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivanwah (Post 1061532009)
Now the questions:
I made a barbarian as a test character since I've read some people had difficult time with casters. I could go with that, but:
Spoiler

Is there a way to see how other party members feel about you? There is a situation in the tutorial where you have to choose what to do and two party members want you to do opposing things. If I do something that other party member doesn't like,does our relationship change?

Barbarian aren't really tank, unless the term is in the sense of a sport team tanking. ;)

As for the party member question, choices/actions in the tutorial affect who joins you at the end of it, it's not really opposition between characters. You'll meet the ones that didn't join later in the game too.

I don't think you can see how they feel about you in a UI, but devs said they could leave the party if they get angry with you. Also, I read about being able to change the alignment of certain of them over time.

Ivanwah September 28th, 2018 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by azarhal (Post 1061532011)
Are you playing in English? The last 2 hotfixes added missing translation fixes and I haven't seen any missing text in English.

Yeah, you're right, it is fine. What I remember was from a youtube video few days ago. Somehow I thought I saw it in my game too. All text is now present, as far as I can see.

Quote:

Barbarian aren't really tank, unless the term is in the sense of a sport team tanking.
Well, they are tankier than a rogue, and besides, I usually don't want two of the same class in my party. And If I get Amiri in my party I'd gladly switch my class since barbarian is not my first pick.

Regarding unclear descriptions: what do inqusitors do? their description says:
Quote:

Inquisitors tend to move from place to place, chasing down enemies and researching emerging threats. As a result, they often travel with others, if for no other reason than to mask their presence. Inquisitors work with members of their faith whenever possible, but even such allies are not above suspicion.
which tells me exactly nothing about their combat role. If I have to guess from what I read online, they are a mix of cleric and a ranger, no?

azarhal September 29th, 2018 01:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivanwah (Post 1061532012)
Regarding unclear descriptions: what do inqusitors do? their description says:

which tells me exactly nothing about their combat role. If I have to guess from what I read online, they are a mix of cleric and a ranger, no?

That description is just RP context.

Inquisitors are a versatile jack-of-all-trade, with the archetypes they can be summon masters, party support/buffers, ranger-wannabe (with animal companion/favored enemy) or the base version that can switch from support to offense in the same fight as needed. A very versatile class.

I'm playing a base Inquisitor right now and I like it. Sturdier than the pure casters and the bard and can stand on the frontline with the right spell buff and judgement.

purpleblob September 29th, 2018 01:59

I didn't find Amiri (barbarian) tanky at all. She can be good dps that takes out mages and rogues quick but she also gets smashed quite easy herself (at least from my experience).

Carnifex September 29th, 2018 02:01

Amiri is awesome, if you play her rogue-like. Just have a fighter or paladin tank, have Amiri swoop in from the side, and watch the bodies hit the floor.

Ivanwah September 29th, 2018 02:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by azarhal (Post 1061532030)
That description is just RP context.

Inquisitors are a versatile jack-of-all-trade, with the archetypes they can be summon masters, party support/buffers, ranger-wannabe (with animal companion/favored enemy) or the base version that can switch from support to offense in the same fight as needed. A very versatile class.

I'm playing a base Inquisitor right now and I like it. Sturdier than the pure casters and the bard and can stand on the frontline with the right spell buff and judgement.

I picked Sacred Huntsmaster and I play it as a ranger with my dog companion in the front. I do still miss a proper tank as I have Amiri, Harrim, and my dog in the front line. I hope I can get Valerie back to my party, she seemed like a good tank.

purpleblob September 29th, 2018 02:20

Ah, who did you ended up with then? Harrim, Jaethal and Amiri?

You will get an opportunity to get Valerie and Linzi back later in the game. If you pursue your rival sooner, you have chance to get one of them back sooner in the tomb. Otherwise, you will get both later although I'm not sure if there's also chance they refuse to join your party depending on your action/dialogue etc at the cave.

Ivanwah September 29th, 2018 02:26

I got Harrim, Linzi, and Amiri. I'll do that then, thanks for the advice.

TheRealFluent September 29th, 2018 02:43

I'm seeing some peculiarities with the Kingdom management. If someone is off on a task of some sort, shouldn't they be missing from the kingdom? I sent Tristian to talk an artisan into joining us and he's still there in the throne room. I can also take him out as a party member, I believe. Maybe he travels back and forth or something? Seemed weird.

Also, is anyone finding the kingdom stuff pretty good? I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Just scratching the surface but I like solving events and seeing rumors and issues pop up. It's a bit more involved than I expected, in a good way.

TheRealFluent September 29th, 2018 03:35

Can someone explain Teamwork Feats? Particularly pertaining to the Inquisitor? Does her 3rd level Solo Tactics mean that I can choose any Teamwork Feat and automatically gain it for her, even if my companions don't have that Feat?

azarhal September 29th, 2018 04:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealFluent (Post 1061532051)
Can someone explain Teamwork Feats? Particularly pertaining to the Inquisitor? Does her 3rd level Solo Tactics mean that I can choose any Teamwork Feat and automatically gain it for her, even if my companions don't have that Feat?

Solo tactics means the Inquisitor always benefit from the teamwork feats they have if all prerequisites are present minus "the other party member having the same feat" one.

Most of them just require ally standing nearby or fighting the same enemy.

TheRealFluent September 29th, 2018 04:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by azarhal (Post 1061532053)
Solo tactics means the Inquisitor always benefit from the teamwork feats they have if all prerequisites are present minus "the other party member having the same feat" one.

Most of them just require ally standing nearby or fighting the same enemy.

That's an awesome perk then. So if I give her Precise Strike and the other party members don't have it, but have other Coordinated Defense traits, then she'll still get Precise Strike?

azarhal September 29th, 2018 05:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealFluent (Post 1061532054)
That's an awesome perk then. So if I give her Precise Strike and the other party members don't have it, but have other Coordinated Defense traits, then she'll still get Precise Strike?

Precise strike will trigger for her as long as she attack a target that is being flanked by an ally. That ally doesn't need to have Precise strike while notInquisitors need both characters to have the feat to get the benefit.

TheRealFluent September 29th, 2018 15:54

So sometimes Remove Curse potions/scrolls don't dispel the curse? How do I get it removed then? Valerie can't seem to shake the curse, but other characters do.

azarhal September 29th, 2018 16:33

Curses have DC, if the remove check failed they won't be removed. You just have to "retry" until it works (so either save cumming because you are a cheap bastard or make sure to memorize remove curse on a cleric once one hit level 5).

TheRealFluent September 29th, 2018 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by azarhal (Post 1061532105)
Curses have DC, if the remove check failed they won't be removed. You just have to "retry" until it works (so either save cumming because you are a cheap bastard or make sure to memorize remove curse on a cleric once one hit level 5).

I don't savescum for that but thanks, it worked the 2nd time around.

Question, how do you deal with Alchemists and their damn alchemist bombs? Those things destroy my party while they're focused on tougher enemies. Any tips for handling them?

azarhal September 29th, 2018 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealFluent (Post 1061532107)
Question, how do you deal with Alchemists and their damn alchemist bombs? Those things destroy my party while they're focused on tougher enemies. Any tips for handling them?

Roll an alchemists yourself?

Or use resit energy (level 2 spell for like every caster but bards, lol…super useful for all levels against anything that deal elemental damage).

Or try to CC them with control spells/abilities (relies more on luck though).

TheRealFluent September 29th, 2018 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by azarhal (Post 1061532118)
Roll an alchemists yourself?

Or use resit energy (level 2 spell for like every caster but bards, lol…super useful for all levels against anything that deal elemental damage).

Or try to CC them with control spells/abilities (relies more on luck though).

What does CC mean? I need resist energy but I don't have Regongar in the party right now. Wizard might need to learn it next level. Thanks for the tips.

azarhal September 29th, 2018 18:59

CC: crowd control, stuff that disable enemies like the spell sleep (but that one stop being effective on level 4+ enemies). It's most of the spells that says "Will save negate", some are in the "fortitude negate" category though (like stinking cloud).

There is also the ability demoralize that anyone with high persuasion gets, it's single target though and on disable for one round I think.

Tristan and Harrim can memorize resist energy at level 2 (no need to learn it), Wizard, Sorc, Inquisitor have to learn it. Going by the reference doc, magus don't get it.

Can Wizard scribe spells in the game? I haven't put my hand on one yet so I haven't tried…

By the way, stinking cloud is just as wonderful as in BG2. I got hit by one (water mephit random encounter), it disabled all the party but one person.

TheRealFluent September 29th, 2018 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by azarhal (Post 1061532121)
CC: crowd control, stuff that disable enemies like the spell sleep (but that one stop being effective on level 4+ enemies). It's most of the spells that says "Will save negate". There is also the ability demoralize that anyone with high persuasion gets, it's single target though and on disable for one round I think.

Tristan and Harrim can memorize resist energy at level 2 (no need to learn it), Wizard, Magus, Inquisitor have to learn it.

Can Wizard scribe spells in the game? (I haven't put my hand on one yet so I don't know).

Wizards can, yeah. Have to find a scroll of resist energy it seems!

azarhal September 29th, 2018 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealFluent (Post 1061532122)
Wizards can, yeah. Have to find a scroll of resist energy it seems!

It will probably be a scroll of resit fire/cold/etc. At least, that's how the potions are labelled.

Carnifex September 29th, 2018 20:37

Well, I was going to get a few more hours into Pathfinder but it seems like they are going to have another patch that will enable kick starter rewards, so looks like I'll be putting a pause on this one for now. Once again, I need to stick to my rule about not jumping into games during the first month of release!!

TheRealFluent September 29th, 2018 20:44

Does Arcane Spell Failure count for Clerics, too, or only Wizards who cast Arcane magic?

azarhal September 29th, 2018 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealFluent (Post 1061532140)
Does Arcane Spell Failure count for Clerics, too, or only Wizards who cast Arcane magic?

It for all arcane spells (with somatic component <= not sure if the game checks that). A cleric casts divine spells by default. A Cleric/Wizard would have the check for the Wizard's spells only.

Bard ignoring that that check if wearing light armor though.

But all spellcasters have to pass concentration check while casting spell in combat if attacked that if failed will cause the spell to fail (aka take the feat combat casting).

azarhal September 30th, 2018 04:44

Going the Stag Lord's fort with a level 2 Octavia and everyone else at level 4 might not have been the brightest idea I came with in this game so far… Let just say it was rather suboptimal. The place feels more like it was made for a level 5 party too, but I fail to see why I missed in term of content, it's not like encounters gives that much.

But now I'm a Baron and I already annexed a region. Mouahaha…wait I'm Neutral Good, I can't laugh like that.

I'm still thinking of restarting though, especially after that guard said that all baron breath fire. I need to roll a Scaled Fist Monk or Draconic Sorcerer now.

purpleblob September 30th, 2018 05:16

Why is Octavia only level 2? Is there an option to turn off share party experience? By the time I reached Stag lord's fort, everyone is my party was level 4, and it wasn't too difficult (but then again, I play on normal). I'm playing with fighter/mage baroness, Valerie as tank, Amiri as melee dps, Harrim and Linzi as heal/buff support, and Octavia as ranged dps.

Cacheperl September 30th, 2018 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleblob (Post 1061532184)
Why is Octavia only level 2? Is there an option to turn off share party experience?

Yup, there is.

Cacheperl September 30th, 2018 12:15

Why the hell do monks have to have lawful alignment. I hate lawful choices.
And I dont think my lawful good monk/thug makes a lot of sense. =(
He's all about rules and laws. And mugging people.

azarhal September 30th, 2018 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleblob (Post 1061532184)
Why is Octavia only level 2?

I recruited her right before doing the last main quest and she was level 2 while everyone else was already level 4. I actually have "shared XP with none-active party member" on too, I was actually expect her and Regongar to be at party level but it wasn't the case.

I didn't have to put her in the party and just do it with all the level 4 character, but I wanted a Wizard.

I got a kingdom quest to make her gain level now (Regongar too).

@Cacheperl make him Lawful Evil "he is the law!" that way.

TheRealFluent September 30th, 2018 16:07

I just love the character development in this game. Leveling up is so rewarding and makes a big difference which feats, spells and skills you choose. You can really work out a great synergy among your party members and customize them a million different ways. Here's some examples of what I've done.

Took my level 5 Cleric, Harrim, and gave him a level of Fighter. Now he can use Martial weapons and wield a giant Trollkiiler Axe I found. Sweet! :)

Took my level 5 Archaeologist, Latharius, and gave him a level of Alchemist/Grenadier. Now he can hurl bombs so he's not as useless in combat. Also sweet!

Multiclassing is really cool and useful in a pinch. I suggest thinking about things like that when leveling up, and they make it really easy to compare progression paths of all classes, which is a great feature.

Cacheperl September 30th, 2018 19:21

Sometimes it is a little too easy to multiclass. Dont forget what you loose: Some classes get very interesting feats or abilities at high levels. You wont get them as a multi-class character. Similarly, many things scale with the character level, most of those depend on the level in a specific class.

Also, have a good long look at the feats you can select. Maybe, for what you want to achieve, it is sometimes better to get the feat instead of multiclassing. For instance, if you only want Weapon Finesse, simply taking the feat is often better than dipping a level into rogue. But if you also want Finesse Training, going rogue is actually a good idea.

Honestly, most of the multiclass options are only interesting for some specific features that some classes get early on. Like the Paladin saving throw increase.

azarhal September 30th, 2018 21:03

If ever people were wondering if there was a storage chest, there is one(s).

The chest beside your bed in Oleg's can be used to store stuff and once you get the Barony, the chest in the throne room and your bedroom also work…and the content is all connected.

Note, I have no idea if that survive the chapter 1 to chapter 2 transition, I only started to put stuff in there by chapter 2.

azarhal September 30th, 2018 22:59

I've restarted a new character and I discovered there was tar available at Oleg. So tar + traps + alchemy's fire, stand near the building with ranged weapons and watch the slaughter.

Also, whoever says that normal is hard in this game must be terrible at playing video games. For fun, I decided to try normal and I only used auto-attacks for all the tutorial, including Oleg's big fight (wasn't my experience on everything set to normal). Funny enough, the "nerfed" hall fight might be harder than the previous version, the leader cast "protection from good, communal" so all the enemies get the +2ac/saves against good aligned character, but he still use "cause fear" (was the aoe version "scare" previously, but not protection from good).

Cacheperl September 30th, 2018 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by azarhal (Post 1061532296)
If ever people were wondering if there was a storage chest, there is one(s).

The chest beside your bed in Oleg's can be used to store stuff and once you get the Barony, the chest in the throne room and your bedroom also work…and the content is all connected.

Note, I have no idea if that survive the chapter 1 to chapter 2 transition, I only started to put stuff in there by chapter 2.

The teleport-chest ( :p ) works fine for me, including chapter transitions.

Cacheperl September 30th, 2018 23:13

Also, realism confirmed: My kingdom starts to accumulate debt.

Hrrrm.

azarhal September 30th, 2018 23:42

Some interesting stuff about the difficulty settings about the enemy strength.

If you want "core PF rules" enemy stats, you want enemy difficulty set to "weak" and stat adjustment to "normal".

That actually explain the weird things I've seen with everything at normal to some enemies while playing, their damage bonus didn't make any sense in some cases.

crpgnut October 1st, 2018 00:28

I'm not sure if I'm following the story very well, but the place with the Sycamore is HUGE! Not gonna say more than that due to spoilers, but I've leveled up at least twice here due to all the battles and stuff.

purpleblob October 1st, 2018 12:52

So…. did anyone return the black whip to… that shifty mage person?

Spoiler

What did you guys do?

Also, I'm waiting for second curse to come around. Still got about 3 months left. Anyone past this stage yet???

So much going on!!! :D

azarhal October 1st, 2018 13:37

I'm still in the "learning the system" phases.

And today I learned that you could get an animal companion via:
- ranger (all the archetypes lose it) (lvl4)
- druid class (lvl 1)
- sacred huntmaster Inquisitor (lvl 1)
- cleric and all other inquisitors via animal domain (lvl 4)
- mad dog barbarian (lvl 1)
- sorcerer sylvan (lvl 1)

I might even be forgetting some.

TheRealFluent October 1st, 2018 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleblob (Post 1061532363)
So…. did anyone return the black whip to… that shifty mage person?

What did you guys do?

Also, I'm waiting for second curse to come around. Still got about 3 months left. Anyone past this stage yet???

So much going on!!! :D

The shifty mage person
Spoiler – spoiler

I'm waiting on the second curse, too, and have probably 4 or 5 months left, not sure, it just kind of started after I went after the trolls. I did the troll quest and
Spoiler – spoiler
. I just had to, lol. I got an "unpredictable" achievement, hah. Chaotic Good has its perks. :)

So much going on indeed. I have to figure out what to do next. I might go pick mushrooms for the witch lady. Trying to decide on my party at the moment, too. So many choices!