Too many news articles on front page.

Drithius

Magic & Loss
Is there any way to edit how many news articles show up on the main site? I'm actually locked out of scrolling my browser for a couple seconds while everything finishes loading - it's kind of annoying.

I have something similar, where my browser gets locked out for few seconds when I open rpgwatch. I can see my cursour going on and off for few seconds and it also hangs up loading other pages if they are open.

I don't think that it is related to the news, as this has started for me few months ago before rpgwatch moved to the new server and before the additional news (which by the way is excellent and saves me going through multiple sites for news).

By the way, I am using Firefox.

Sppon is on the right track here.
Firefox became problematic. In my case rpgwatch is not the site I experience a temporary freeze, but many other sites tend to lock FF for a few seconds. Dunno how to solve it (except switching to another browser).

Do you mean you can't click on any links for a few seconds because your mouse pointer won't change to the hand icon? If so, the same thing started happening to me a few weeks ago.

I'm using IE 10.

Is this perhaps due to a new engine being used within the browsers ?

Using Chrome myself. This is the only site that this temporary lockup occurs on. The page is simply stuck loading for a couple seconds: links are unable to be clicked and scrolling is not possible.

I've never had a problem and I've always used Firefox. I'm on FF 21 now and no problem still.

I can always scroll in Firefox. It is a bit slower for a few seconds when there are many references to videos on the front page though.
Also on the engine side nothing changed after the move. What did change is that we are using a newer version of Apache, and PHP and ads are being served differently.

Does this happen only on the front page? Or also on forum pages?
Is it only the first time? If you reload does it also happen?

Does this happen only on the front page? Or also on forum pages?
Is it only the first time? If you reload does it also happen?

Only on the front page that I have noticed; happens with each reload. Everything is fine for the first ~1 second of the page load, then it locks up for a couple seconds. Other browser tabs are seemingly unaffected during this brief window.

This is not a huge problem but it is a nuisance when you load up the site, scroll down to see new information, and get stopped in your tracks for a moment.

Interestingly, there's no hitch when I solely load up June 17th's articles using that link you provided - and it has 4 embedded videos. Perhaps the stalling occurs if the browser is still waiting for a particular video preview (wild guess).

Last edited:
Just to post feedback, I use IE 10 and FF 21 and haven't had any issues.

Interestingly, there's no hitch when I solely load up June 17th's articles using that link you provided - and it has 4 embedded videos. Perhaps the stalling occurs if the browser is still waiting for a particular video preview (wild guess).

Good catch. I assume that this could be the cause, too.
Especially because I notice similar behaviour with my browser from time to time as well (regarding embedded videos).

No issues ever with Safari on Mac or iPad ...

Just a minor update on my end: it's no longer hitching. I haven't done anything in this interim so it was likely a specific article/video that was causing the issue.

I get a considerable lockup on load again now, anyone else (IE)?

Back
Top Bottom