Final Fantasy VII

Zloth

I smell a... wumpus!?
Final Fantasy 7 is the first in the Final Fantasy series to show up on PC. It's inspired some spin-offs, a movie, and hundreds of mods in various other games.

It looks like it's also getting pretty heavily modded itself. Here's a video explaining a new mod that updates the background images so they look far better than they did way back in 1997. He's also got a mod replacing the characters and music running.

Great game that I've played through five times myself, and likely to replay again many times in the future. I'm not sure that I'd ever alter the original game though, it's just pretty darn good as is.

I'm not sure about those characters but I sure would update the backgrounds and monsters. And… umm… the bumble bee girls. :blush:

Glad to see this guy's videos here. He makes some great stuff.

I'm a little over a week late on this but…

<evil grin>

Thanks for sharing that! Looks interesting that they've included everything from the previous series into this one. I guess it's because its the final one! I am still deciding whether to purchase it or wait for the price drop!

Hey, there's been another vague teaser about that long-delayed remake. Coming … soon? Ever? The answer remains hazy, but here is some fancy cgi to look at:

The only concrete information: there will be yet another teaser this summer at E3.

I have zero interest in a remake that they're splitting into three games just to milk the fanbase.

I'd no idea they were taking an episodic approach to this remake, that's just not cool. If I do acquire this one down the road, it will be well after all parts are available and fully updated/patched.

Yep last I read Square wanted to break the remake into three games. They claimed it would be to huge, and to maximize the money needed to fund the full remake.

Last edited:
I hadn't heard that either. I'm unlikely to buy the remake anyway as I understand it'll be more of an action/fighting game than an RPG, but yeah -- that's pretty shameless.

Episodes: can't tell if it will be bad or not. The original game IS huge and now the dialog is going to be real dialog instead of little text bubbles. I could see it being as long as Witcher 3 + Heart of Stone + Blood & Wine. It's hard to tell at this point how much will be cut out and what might be expanded. (Somehow I doubt Cloud cross dressing is going to make it in, though.)

There are little bits of combat in that video about two thirds of the way in but it's hard to tell how it works. It certainly isn't 3 characters lined up on one side.

I think you're remembering it as being larger than it actually was. It was a big game for its time, but it wasn't that big. They're going to have to add a substantial amount of new content to stretch it out over three games.

Their attempt at explaining that decision is pretty funny.

"It will essentially be a full scale game for each part of the multi-part series. In XIII, each installment told the story from a different angle. It was kind of like approaching an unknown territory in a sense. Whereas with Final Fantasy VII Remake, we already have a preexisting story, so it wouldn’t really make sense if that isn’t encompassed in a multi-part series… So if we’re just looking at each of these parts, one part should be on par with the scale of one Final Fantasy XIII game."

Say what??

I'm pretty sure that's Japanese for "Three games is more profitable than one".

The only reason why I bought FF15 was - hairworks.
Thanks to that I wasn't disappointed in failed story and other sterile stuff in the game.

I have no desire to play FF7, original nor remake, as from what I know it's some 5 year old kids game with kindergarden story. But I will open my wallet if it adds hairworks. Why?
I need something to demonstrate what PC is to friends when they come. That can't be phonegames with nudity filter graphics nor cleanshaved animals that would normally be furry.

I'll be basing my purchase on this revision product solely on what friends and others think of it. As of right now, I'm keeping my expectations extremely low.

I've got high hopes but there's really not any chance I'll buy until all the episodes are out.
@joxer; - FF7 is not at all childish.

As someone whose favorite series is Final Fantasy, I'm remarkably hyped but just as equally cautious, and for a few reasons.

I'm not sure of the talent of modern day Square when it comes to replicating tone, atmosphere, emotional cues (visually and audibly), and storytelling with the original Final Fantasy VII. They have a huge task ahead of them, and being able to capture the world so perfectly in full 3D will be such a different experience from the original game. Then again, Crisis Core pulled it off very well.

Additionally, the notion that they'd need to split up the game into more than one installment is a bit worrying. The original Final Fantasy 7 came in three discs, but sold as one game. We need to see the pricing model of the remake before making any judgments. Will it be $60 per disc? $40? Who knows, but this isn't the Square from 20 years ago. A lot of key staff like Sakaguchi and Uematsu aren't a part of Square anymore.

I'm extremely cautious, but trying to be optimistic, too. I love FF, but I don't have any respect for price gouging. I'm content to pay more than what I usually do for games considering it's Final Fantasy, but there is a limit.

Last edited:
From my impression based on various articles it will be similar to Final Fantasy 13. Each new game/episode continued the story and was priced at $50-60 on it's release.

@joxer; - FF7 is not at all childish.

Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg

ESRB Teen.
Can it get more childish than that? Maybe. Dunno.

I'm not saying immature can't be fun, not only it can, there are numerous works that pwn "serious" products with quality and fun. But this is Square Enix. So far when it said teen on their titles I've played, it never ment - smart.

Back
Top Bottom