Fable 3 - 66% Off on Steam

Same here.. I was thinking about getting it after seeing this sale mentioned in the Pricewatch thread, but Steam and GFWL simultaneously? No thanks...

The Broken Sword HD remakes are also on sale as daily deal for 2.5$. Highly recommended if you like adventure games.

I don't get the whole double and triple DRM thing. With this game, it's Microsoft so I suppose you will get the GFWL no matter what, but why the hell is securom there?

Also, the Game of Thrones RTS recently released had TAGES even though it is Steamworks and every single version of the game no matter where you get it from requires Steam, which is already a form of DRM.

*sigh*

The Broken Sword HD remakes are also on sale as daily deal for 2.5$. Highly recommended if you like adventure games.

That was yesterday. Today is Cogs, though I imagine many people already have it from one of the Humble Bundles.

Also, the Game of Thrones RTS recently released had TAGES even though it is Steamworks and every single version of the game no matter where you get it from requires Steam, which is already a form of DRM.

You can buy the game from the developer website that doesn't use steam. That's probably why TAGES is added and why they didn't remove it.

You can buy the game from the developer website that doesn't use steam. That's probably why TAGES is added and why they didn't remove it.

Not that I can see. The main website for the game has a link to buy it that goes here:

http://us-focushop.gamesplanet.com/shop/a-game-of-thrones-genesis/

And there it clearly says near the top:

"A Steam account, registration with enclosed serial code and internet connection are required to play."

As far as I can tell there is no version of it anywhere that doesn't require Steam, and yet the fact that Steam is DRM escaped them and they still felt the need to inject TAGES into it.

Not that I can see. The main website for the game has a link to buy it that goes here:

http://us-focushop.gamesplanet.com/shop/a-game-of-thrones-genesis/

And there it clearly says near the top:

"A Steam account, registration with enclosed serial code and internet connection are required to play."

As far as I can tell there is no version of it anywhere that doesn't require Steam, and yet the fact that Steam is DRM escaped them and they still felt the need to inject TAGES into it.

Ah yes just saw that that message wasn't there when the game first came out. Really then there's no excuse for the extra drm then. I'm sure its the typical excuse of piracy.

I don't plan on buying it after player and review feedback is negative.

But back on topic I hated how you needed Steam and GFWL for fable 3. The dlc was a bitch to download and use.

The game is not available in my region... thanks god!

The Witcher 2 version 2 is also at reduce price of £25.99 but i think its still cheaper to buy it via gog.com.

Except that they are not widescreen. :( The iPhone version is sort of widescreen (can't remember the ratio). I can't even stretch it, because the resolution is my native one. For some reason, I can never get into games with black bars on the left/right side.

By the way, I did buy Fable 3. It was a bit strange seeing all these GfW things pop up, and there are NO graphics settings to fiddle with, and it looks like it runs at a low resolution, but other than that... ;) I consider it a cheap console game, I play it with a controller, anyway.

Not sure the morality leanings on this here, but if you get it from somewhere with an installer (like on disc, gamersgate, whatever) there is no DRM until you launch, meaning a simple exe swap avoids the whole mess.

Anyway I got this game and played it for 10 minutes. It looks ugly as hell and runs like crap on my high-end rig, and after a few minutes I just said "nevermind."

Anyway I got this game and played it for 10 minutes. It looks ugly as hell and runs like crap on my high-end rig, and after a few minutes I just said "nevermind."

I just found out how to access the options menu. They apparently do not have a key for it; you need to move your character to a wall in your Sanctuary. Right. But my graphics settings were set pretty low and it had the wrong resolution. I set it all to maximum, but I still think the framerate caps at 30fps. It does look decent, in my opinion, but the animation is terrible.

I bought the boxed copy (it was half the price from Steam), and it says "You must activate this product via the Internet by registering for a Steam account...."

Personally I don't have a problem with Steam, but I do hate all the extra DRM some games come with.

As for Broken Sword, I would recommend getting it on GOG. You'll get the original version as well as the remastered one, and you support a publisher with a clear no DRM policy.

I just found out how to access the options menu. They apparently do not have a key for it; you need to move your character to a wall in your Sanctuary. Right. But my graphics settings were set pretty low and it had the wrong resolution. I set it all to maximum, but I still think the framerate caps at 30fps. It does look decent, in my opinion, but the animation is terrible.

It doesn't look bad at the core of it, but it had some really fuzzy effects going on when I played it. Maybe you can turn those off, I'll have to look into it. It certainly didn't look good enough to struggle on a GTX 480 though, I can tell you that.

People thought Fable III was "ugly as hell"? Or was it just because they didn't figure out how to adjust the graphical options? I found the game quite beautiful, even breathtaking at times. Though I am a sucker for a minimalist HUD, so that might have skewed my perception a bit.
And the animations were horrible? I thought they were full of character, some of the best I've seen in games, actually. It really surprised me how lifelike the dog's behavior looked for an example.
Well, I guess beauty is a subjective concept.

All in all it was an enjoyable experience for me, though not without its faults. In traditional Lionhead style it had a lot of ambition and potential but couldn't quite pull it all off without stumbling a bit on the way.

It doesn't look bad at the core of it, but it had some really fuzzy effects going on when I played it. Maybe you can turn those off, I'll have to look into it. It certainly didn't look good enough to struggle on a GTX 480 though, I can tell you that.

Nope, I have a GTX 470 and it is smooth, just seems to be capped at 30fps. So not 60fps smooth, but steady smooth anyway. I.e. no framerate drops.

And the animations were horrible? I thought they were full of character, some of the best I've seen in games, actually. It really surprised me how lifelike the dog's behavior looked for an example.

Well… it's kind of a yes and no. The animations are fine for the most part, but then I see a character make a move that seems so off, that it straight up ruins that. Somehow reminds me of how animations looked 10 years ago.

All in all it was an enjoyable experience for me, though not without its faults.

I don't know. These first few hours, it seems I've done a whole lot of running from A to B (i.e. following the glowy trail), pushing buttons and some occasional combat in between. Almost like an interactive movie thing. Maybe there will be more gameplay later on?

Most G4WL games that are sold on Steam - i.e. Red Faction: Guerrilla, GTA4, Fallout 3, etc - after you download it and install it from Steam - you can run the game EXE without Steam.

Go into your game's folder, find the game's EXE file, and create a shortcut of that EXE file on your desktop [or anywhere else you want]. Close Steam out entirely [if you haven't already] and run the game from your new shortcut. You can see if it executes Steam or not - most G4WL games sold on Steam DO NOT force a Steam-boot, if you try this method.

This trick actually works for Steam Edition of Divinity 2: DKS Edition and Borderlands/Borderlands GOTY, too.

I don't know how true this is for Fable 3 PC, since I bought it from G4WL/XBL back when it was $13 or whatever. While the game was good, it could've been better - still, it's worth $13. I just wish there were more side quests; the side quests were better and more interesting; and the part where you're King was longer, for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom